Thread: Japanese Text Image to Text

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Japanese Text Image to Text

I recently obtained a couple of books on pachinko
    machines, their history, and the laws governing them. The books are full of beautiful pics of all sorts of machines from the earliest ones and on but all the text is of course in Japanese. My ideas is instead of having them translated by someone, I could scan in just the text I want and have a program that turns the image into actual text to then get a decent translation via Google or whatever. I'd then like to post pics on here as well as info related to the pic. It would be a great insight into these machines and a nice resource to have here onthe forum.
    There are programs out there that do this but does anyone here have experience with them? Thanks.
    Last edited by emmadog; 10-15-2010 at 02:23 PM.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Japanese Text Image to Text

perhaps a Japanese OCR program will be able to pic up the text from a scan and then you can use google to translate?

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thnaks I'll give that a try. At the least I'll post pics and maybe someone here can identify them...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: Japanese Text Image to Text

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    I recently obtained a couple of books on pachinko
    machines, their history, and the laws governing them. The books are full of beautiful pics of all sorts of machines from the earliest ones and on but all the text is of course in Japanese. My ideas is instead of having them translated by someone, I could scan in just the text I want and have a program that turns the image into actual text to then get a decent translation via Google or whatever. I'd then like to post pics on here as well as info related to the pic. It would be a great insight into these machines and a nice resource to have here onthe forum.
    There are programs out there that do this but does anyone here have experience with them? Thanks.
    Which books emmadog?

Your thinking is sound, but the practical application won't work for you I'm afraid. Google does a lousy job of translating Japanese to English, mostly because Japanese sentences are too complicated to simply change words from and hope to understand them all put together in English. Take any Japanese paragraph you can find and plug it into Google to see what I mean. Unless you give it a go, you won't know.

I can help with some of what you are trying to do, but don't have the time to do entire books worth.

Put some of the more important parts up here and I'll be happy to lend a hand.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

7. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah google translations definitely leave a lot to be desired but i figured I could get some basic info. For the important parts I planned on using the contact you gave me. He's done quite a bit of work for me in the past and he does an excellent job to say the least.
    Out of all the views this post has had you are first to ask what books. If I had seen this post I woulda been all over the poster trying to find out more info on pachinko history. I digress...
    Anyway, one of the books is the one pictured below and the other book's cover has a large color pic of a pre-Masamura (I think) machine.
    I'm still out of town but I had my girl flip thru that book via skype so I could see the pics. I'll be home next weekend and shortly thereafter I'll post pics on here. I have a lot of other pachinko related tasks to take care of when I arrive like shipping a machine out, taking pics, and checking out a newly obtained arepachi. All this of course after quality time with my girl.
    I'll post a pic of the other book here tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok here's the translation of the book's covers pictured above:

Pachinko
    A History of the Rules and Evolution
    Shimoshiro Hiroto
    Theories on the Evolution of Pachinko, Divided by Theme
    In Commemoration of the 60 Year Anniversary of the Creation of the Masamura Gauge! (which let us dream)

The waves of technological innovation at last surged forward against the world of Pachinko. Dejipachi became the main focus of the Pachinko scene, and it became the trend for the original attraction of Pachinko -the arrangement of the nails- to be made light of, while too much importance was attached to the LCD component. This made it possible for young people and women to comfortably play. Still, I remain in doubt as to whether this ease with which players can become comfortable with the game (a result of technological innovation that went too far) has contributed to the quality of the core game of Pachinko.

Very interesting what the author has to say about the advent of technology impacting the game. I tend to agree.
    Anyway the book is 147 pages long. I asked the GF to take and send me pics of the other book when she has a minute so I'll have those posted later today.

11. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And here's the other book:

13. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow look at all those cell face colours!!

would love to have that book just for the pics!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would love to have the Pachinko pictured on the cover of the second book you posted ("The Pachinko")
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A few more pics. If I see machines in here that anyone of the members has then I'll translate the info and post it. And once I get more pics up if someone sees their machine in here then lemme know and I'll get the info. These aren't the best quality pics since they were sent via text. The ones later on will be good quality plus I can email hi-res pics to individuals.

17. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And a couple more. The book covers machines from the 30's to the 80's, is 111 pages long and was copyrighted in 1985. Pretty much the best years of pachinko manufacture. I know, I know, that's a blasphemous statement to fans of moderns!!! I'll set up a separate inbox for hate mail...

19. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And a couple more. The book covers machines from the 30's to the 80's, is 111 pages long and was copyrighted in 1985. Pretty much the best years of pachinko manufacture. I know, I know, that's a blasphemous statement to fans of moderns!!! I'll set up a separate inbox for hate mail...
    Never seen that second book - what a nice one.

and hey - that's your opinion, which you are perfectly entitled to, and which I 100% agree with!!

Hope you are getting a good rate out of Jimmy - he should be slipping me a % for the referral !

21. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jimmy's the best. I pay him a little extra for everyone he does since he gets them done in less than a day. he'll be getting a lot of work in a few days. Theoretically he could be giving that little extra to you!
    Yeah the modern machines are fascinating from a technological standpoint but I can see them evolving into to nothing but a giant LCD screen with simulated pins and balls, animatronics, etc. I see the appeal to the younger crowd, however. It's all an effort to keep players engaged and wanting more but it gets further and further away from what I love about pachinko. In short, it's now become a computer game. Just my .02.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah the modern machines are fascinating from a technological standpoint but I can see them evolving into to nothing but a giant LCD screen with simulated pins and balls, animatronics, etc. I see the appeal to the younger crowd, however. It's all an effort to keep players engaged and wanting more but it gets further and further away from what I love about pachinko. In short, it's now become a computer game. Just my .02.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post Re: Japanese Text Image to Text

Theoretically he could be giving that little extra to you!
    I was just joking - but do say hi from me.

jon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was joking too and I'll tell him you said hello.