Thread: 1955 Whales & Company Allwin - Win a Nestle's Chocolate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1955 Whales & Company Allwin - Win a Nestle's Chocolate

It finally arrived!!! I won this on ebay several weeks ago, but the seller did not offer shipping, so I had to find someone to go pick it up for me and deliver it to a pack & ship company. It took some time, but the machine finally arrived today.

This Allwin game was made by Whales & Company of England back in 1955. To play it you drop in an old english 1d penney into the slot at the upper right and a steel ball is released to the shooter. After you flick the lever, the ball circles the playfield several times and then (hopefully) lands in one of the win pockets in the upper center. When you get one in the win pocket, you turn the large brass knob and a Nestle's chocolate bar is released to the front tray. If you miss the win pockets (which happens more than not), the steel ball exits the play field and the game is over, at least until you put another penny in the slot.

This particular game is non-functional at the moment and needs some light mechanical and heavy cosmetic restoration. The spring on the shooter mechanism is broken (easy fix) and the tracks and levers in the back need adjusting.

The bigger concern is the backflash (cell) is warped/curled due to heat and age, which is affecting proper game play. The warping has also bent the chrome metal ornamentation around the win pockets, causing the b alls to be deflected. Once I get the machine apart I will need to see if the backflash can be salvaged, or if I need to find an artist to make a new one.

Also, the "Win a Nestle's" signage in the upper window has melted and stuck to the glass and backing. There is no way I can remove the glass to access the play field without destroying it. I took lots of closeup pictures so that I can hopefully have a replacement made by a graphic artist.

Other minor issues are with the wood cabinet. Several parts are warped due to age, so the upper and bottom doors don't fit right. That will need to be corrected in order to use the locks.

Anyhow, I have several Allwins and antique Pachis in line ahead of this one waiting to be restored, so it will be a while before I can get to it. But I am looking forward to getting this one working one day so that my wife will enjoy playing it and winning her chocolates.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

2. The following 21 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1955 Whales & Company Allwin - Win a Nestle's Chocolate

neat looking game

good luck on your restoration
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    Also, the "Win a Nestle's" signage in the upper window has melted and stuck to the glass and backing. There is no way I can remove the glass to access the play field without destroying it. I took lots of closeup pictures so that I can hopefully have a replacement made by a graphic artist.
    Jeff
    Great find. I'm sure it will turn out great.

Are you sure you can't remove the glass? From the picture of the back you posted it looks like the glass is held in by three metal strips that are screwed in.
    Eric C.
    CRアクアパラダイスGP CRラッセンワールドMJ

6. The following user says "Thanks" to chmer01

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very Cool Jeff.

I'm sure you'll restore it back to its original beauty! All it takes is time! (Something I wish I had more of! )

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by chmer01 View Post
    Great find. I'm sure it will turn out great.

Are you sure you can't remove the glass? From the picture of the back you posted it looks like the glass is held in by three metal strips that are screwed in.

Yes - the glass can be removed, but the signage, which normally would have been a loose piece, is now stuck partly to the glass and partly to the metal that holds the glass. So when I slide the glass out of the case it will shred the signage. (already tried this and tore it a bit).

My only option is to recreate the signage.

Jeff

I'm sure you'll restore it back to its original beauty! All it takes is time! (Something I wish I had more of! )
    Any chance with your graphic design/art background that you could help me with new graphics? I'm not in any hurry whatsoever and I would be happy to pay you for your time (when you find some )
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 09-25-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sure thing!

Once you get caught up with your other machines and have this one in your sights drop me a line!!

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."