Thread: Checked Baggage Vintage?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Checked Baggage Vintage?

I tried searching some threads, has anyone ever taken a vintage on an airplane? I'm going on a trip to New Mexico, and there looks to be a reasonably priced Daichi on CL. It'd have to go as checked baggage, so I'm curious if anyone else has taken one on a plane, and how well it traveled. Not that I need another one, but if I can put it as checked baggage vs shipping it, why not?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Checked Baggage Vintage?

With the way airlines have been charging for checked baggage it might almost be better and cheeper to ship.
    Eric C.
    CRアクアパラダイスGP CRラッセンワールドMJ

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to chmer01

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hear ya... we had several overweight (not by much) bags on our trip overseas and were charged $380!
    Dawn

5. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I priced it out once. There is a reason that business travelers send their luggage FedEx when they travel. Baggage fees are outrageous!!!

You can ship a Pachi for around $35 via FedEx Ground, plus it is exponetially less likely to get lost in transit. Why hassle with lugging it around the airport?
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

packing tips for traveling or vacations.

pack old clothes, then throw them away at nite as you wear them,

pack light and shop at thrift or bargain stores wherever you go toss those everyday too

use an old suitcase and trash that before you get on the plane or train

no clothes to wash or unpack when you get home!!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Stuck in Podunk, Ne and long to move back to Southern Ca.
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    I priced it out once. There is a reason that business travelers send their luggage FedEx when they travel. Baggage fees are outrageous!!!

You can ship a Pachi for around $35 via FedEx Ground, plus it is exponetially less likely to get lost in transit. Why hassle with lugging it around the airport?
    I'm afraid that we may mislead people on shipping charges by the different carriers if we aren't careful. I had a DHL account when they were still shipping between cities here in the states. I used them because I had found by trial and many errors that they had the best schedules and pricing for me. Believe me when I say I had some real shockers if just one part of the shipping changed...such as the total weight, dimensions or something so simple as forgetting to stamp GROUND! For example a Pachi (Boxed) is right at the limit of size acceptable without charging for oversized. Say the original quote was around $50.00 or so...that charge could double or almost triple if the party shipping gets lazy and uses an oversized box.
    In all of the shipping I have done I have never had a Pachislo or Pachinko ship for $35.00 Obviously weight is also a major factor because many dealers will ship tokens seprately if there is a large amount and figure they still save money with the added shipping.
    I rarely ship or have machines picked up with Fedex because they always seem to find some reason to tack on some extra charges and in the past the shock was just too much!
    If any members get involved in shipping I suggest calling the shipper offices and asking every possible question you can think of. Even ask if the charges will change that much if the machine weighs 10lbs. more or the dimensions are three or four inches more.
    The shippers have rate charts on line but don't ever assume you have everything figured out...call them and have them verify your rate and see if you match!
    All I can say is Best of Luck and be sure to take your blood pressure medicine. Jim
    Spiderman-Sinbad-Ultraman P/P-Onimusha-Gamera-Juggler-Onoki-Gundam-Hanabi-Tiger Mask-Tomb Raider P/P-D'bl Diamond-Takarabune-Beast Sapp-Tekken-Yajikita-Twinkle Stage-Duel Dragon-Popeye-Speed Racer-Million God-Jaws-Gladiator-St.Maria-Let'sDance-Indy-RoboCop-Julie-Palot

11. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to FREKKEN TEKKEN

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have shipped over 10 vintage machines (both to and from my home) and the shipping charges averaged $35 through FedEx ground/home delivery. I'm sure some of the heavier moderns would cost more, however I believe ACMech was referencing a vintage.

Anyhow, I will follow-up my earlier post with a standard fine print and disclaimer:
    Final weight and carton size may affect shipping price. Price quoted above does not account for pachinko balls, styrofoam peanuts or packing tape to seal the carton. Shipping cost to Alaska, Hawaii and the moon will be higher. Your mileage may vary.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Stuck in Podunk, Ne and long to move back to Southern Ca.
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    I have shipped over 10 vintage machines (both to and from my home) and the shipping charges averaged $35 through FedEx ground/home delivery. I'm sure some of the heavier moderns would cost more, however I believe ACMech was referencing a vintage.

Anyhow, I will follow-up my earlier post with a standard fine print and disclaimer:
    Final weight and carton size may affect shipping price. Price quoted above does not account for pachinko balls, styrofoam peanuts or packing tape to seal the carton. Shipping cost to Alaska, Hawaii and the moon will be higher. Your mileage may vary.
    Thanks Jeff, You have made some really good points and I haven't worked with that many vintages ...that would make quite a difference.The way I see it if we have opened people eyes and they take a few extra steps to safeguard their shipment then all is well!
    Spiderman-Sinbad-Ultraman P/P-Onimusha-Gamera-Juggler-Onoki-Gundam-Hanabi-Tiger Mask-Tomb Raider P/P-D'bl Diamond-Takarabune-Beast Sapp-Tekken-Yajikita-Twinkle Stage-Duel Dragon-Popeye-Speed Racer-Million God-Jaws-Gladiator-St.Maria-Let'sDance-Indy-RoboCop-Julie-Palot

15. The following user says "Thanks" to FREKKEN TEKKEN

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I recently shipped a powerflash to BigDog in Tennessee from VT using UPS.
    Package weighed 54 pounds. They charged $52 to ship.
    I thing a powerflash is about 12 pounds more than a standard vintage because of the solenoid layer.

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mbodi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    packing tips for traveling or vacations.

pack old clothes, then throw them away at nite as you wear them,

pack light and shop at thrift or bargain stores wherever you go toss those everyday too

use an old suitcase and trash that before you get on the plane or train

no clothes to wash or unpack when you get home!!!
    You sound like you have experience doing this, LD. How do you keep from being kicked out of the airport as a transient??
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I fly every other week and do multi segment trips quite frequently. I've considered taking a Vintage on board a plane but havent done it yet.

I fly United most of the time to accumulate miles and occasionally fly Delta, Southwest and Frontier. The current rate per bag with most carriers is $25. If you check-in online you save $2. Southwest is free for the first bag.

The thing you have to remember is that your ok up to 50lbs before the oversized baggage fees come in. A Vintage Pachi weighs about 35lbs (with no balls). However with packaging it might start to get close to that 50lb limit.

I think its worth a try if you dont mind lugging it around. A Cart at the airport is about $1.50 to rent.

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I went on vacation with a buddy of mine a few times before i got married.

he would throw his clothes away every day when we got back to chicago his suitcase was almost empty

i've thrown away underwear and socks while on vacation

many people overpack clothes without thinking "if i forget anything, i can always buy it"
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

22. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog