Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bally 5cent BitterSweet Orange project

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Bally 5cent BitterSweet Orange project

A posting in the local Craig's list site caught my attention (and no it was not in THAT section!). I had seen this machine list before but with the 'unknowns' on it and the amount wanted I had previously ignored it. This time the poster was asking for offers as they just wanted it gone. I emailed an offer of $75 and it was accepted.

The machine would light up.. but that's about it and I had no key to open it. Thus my adventure begins.

First, using the numbers found on the side of the machine I manage to find a slot tech that was gracious enough to send me two keys that fit it. This guy probably sent the machine out originally back in the mid 80s!

I got the keys and opened it up and it appears that everything is there. It's very dirty with lost of sticky gunk and oil on it. Talking to the slot tech his first suggestion was to clean all the contact points and make sure they functioning as they were designed. This would insure electricty could flow easily and that the ones that were supposed to closed were closed and the ones that were supposed to be open were open, etc.

So.. I've been working on that. This machine was made in 1982 and it had 'Bittersweet Orange' written in sharpie on the inside. It is all electro-mechanical with no computer or PC boards in it. So.. something I can work on and looking it tells me it will be a challenge!

There is another post on here and it appears that YoungJedi has some experience with this machine so hopefully he can assist me (hint, hint). Here is a link to that thread: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/slot...t=bally+series

This link is for a $1 machine but my is exactly the same except it takes nickels. This posting has been great on helping me get started.

Currently I have the following issues/questions:

1. When I turn it on there is a 'buzzing' sound from the lower left corner. This is not the same as the 'door open buzzer' as that comes on when I open the door.
    2. The lights for 'coin Accepted', Insert Coin, etc. blink when a coin in deposited. But only the first coin light at the top appears to be lighting up.
    3. The lights for the number of coins in the top section are mostly missing. One of the remaining bulbs has the number 57 on it. Are these bulbs standard 12v automotive bulbs (#57)?
    4. The floresecent tube that illuminates the pay out board is missing. Anyone know what size type of bulb I need?
    5. The solinoid that 'locks out' the pull handle will not release. But pulling the handle the small distance it does go does cause the coin rejection solinoid to fire.
    6. At one point the 'tilt' light was on... but now it's not... but it also flashes when a coin is inserted. Where is the tilt reset?
    7. The lever that stops the handle from being pull only part way seems to move very slowly. Is it supposed to do this or is it due to the old oil? What components are supposed to 'move slow'? I'm thinking it will need a complete 'tear down' and cleaning... but no ready to admit that yet.
    8. Is there a way that I could test the hopper motor to determine if it works?
    9. What is the process to 'reset' everything in the machine to a 'ready state' as there is no telling what has be pushed, flipped or switched out of sequence.

Ok.. enough for now. Thanks in advance for any assitance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rusty Key

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default re: Bally 5cent BitterSweet Orange project

it looks like you have a 1090 .those em's are great machines.it sounds like something simple is causing your machine not to work.don't worry,they are easy to fix.i used to have a 1090 too.a buzzing sound might be caused by a relay armature out of position.that condition would not allow the contacts to make.i would check all of the solenoids ,especially the coin relay.i would also check all of the contacts,as your slot tech suggested.the coin lockout engaging with a slight handle pull is normal.to check the payout,hold the clock fan with your left hand while pulling the handle.you can then line all 3 reels to a pay position.when you get them lined up,let go of the fan and let the clock time out,you should get a payout.and,if your machine has mini bayonet lamp sockets,as most do,i would use #44 bulbs.you can get them anywhere.i have some schematics for similar machines,i could scan parts of them if you need them.sometimes,in older machines,especially if they haven't been used for a long time,is that the oil/grease tends to get gummed up,and needs to be cleaned off and relubed.so you might need to do some of that too.if you would like a manual check here:Slot Machine Repair Manuals

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info! Right now I can't pull the handle because the solinoid has it locked out. Can I over ride that using my fingers with out losing one or getting shocked? Also you mention the #44 bulbs.. was my assumption correct that these bulbs are 12v?

I've seen the manual that listed for the year of my machine (as a 'Series E') at several locations but I've been unsure of the right one. Is the Series E manual the one I need? I'm guesing the year of mine as 1982 as that's what I printed on the belly glass.

Thanks again for the advice!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

bally was supposed to have introduced series e which is the electronic version in 1980.if yours is electro-mechanical,it might have been converted from a mid-70's dollar slot,as mine was.or maybe someone swapped out the belly glass at some point with an e-series glass.there should be a metal tag attached to the lower right side of the cabinet ,which should have the date of manufacture.i am guessing your machine was made in the mid 70's,maybe about '75 or '76 .get the em manual,not the e-series.#44 bulbs are 6.3 volts.i would check the coin relay first.that is what lights up the coin accepted light,and releases the handle mech.that might be where the problem is.it is on the left side of the reel mech.i can post a picture of a similar machine if you need it.you can override the handle release solenoid by pushing the relay armature plate in with your finger.the reels should kick off and index.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bally 5cent BitterSweet Orange project

In my quest to find more information and manuals for my machine I found the following:

Here is a downloadable manual for early Bally EM Slots: Index of /download/bally6000
    Here is a link to the main directory where there are lots of PDFs for Bally, Mills and a few other older style slot and pinball machines: Download Area
    Rusty Key

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yes,download that.it will help you a lot.the 6000 threw me off at first,but that is what you need.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

cant help ya with your machine cause i have a guy .. so most of the time i just the guy...

i have the manuals for both types of my slot machines.. but they just as well be writen in Japanese... Im a hands on kinda person reading about it dont work worth a Damn!!!

wish i could find someon to walk me threw the in's and out's of a em slot

anyways enought crying

great find Rusty
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, with the assistance from above advice I managed to get the handle to pull down. Unfortunately this machine is so gunked up things don't move like they should. I have the reel assembly out. I would like to pull the main shaft out to clean on the old grease off. How do I do this? It looks like every single connection point has a pin through it. Can I clean it with out pulling it apart?

Help!?
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After looking through the manual I downloaded and studing the reel assembly, I have began the process of taking it appart and cleaning. It seems to be going well but then again taking stuff apart isn't nearly as difficult as remembering how it all fit togeteher to begin with. However, with some of the work I've already done I can see a huge improvement.

Now the bad news...

I took off the top glass part that has the winning table printed on it and had set it aside. While I was banging and vibrating the work bench, the panel slid off and landed on the floor. Now I have the nice pretty crack from top to bottom on my top glass. (&%%^("*(&%H#*#($!!!

Sigh... after my little rant, I realized that my voice was a bit loud as I saw a momma squirell with her paws over her baby's little fuzzy ears.

Oh well... I guess I will try to see if the folks that did the glass for my Rock-Ola can replicate this design. This sucks. Hard lesson learned here.
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

for the glass,check out an ebay seller named foxsslots.he might have that glass.he would probably have any other parts you may need as well.he has an ebay store,if you don't see one there,e-mail him.also,a trick i use for degreasing parts is to spray carburetor cleaner and blow it dry with compressed air.use the plastic wand on the carb cleaner to get into tight places.it saves a lot of disassembly work,but make sure you remove anything that could be damaged by the solvent,such as the reels,and cover the relays and electrical plugs with tape.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info. I have planned on picking up some Carb Cleaner on the way home today. This is the same process I used for the work I did on my JukeBox so it's not unfamiliar to me. I do appreciate the fact that I don't have to take it all apart for sure!

I've included a photo below. The arrow points to the small 'can' that is buzzing. Is this a 'buzzer' or a relay? I haven't pulled it out yet to see if there was any identifying marks on it.

Thanks again!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dang.. clicked submit instead of Attachment. hate it when that happens!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that almost looks like a car turn signal flasher!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Exactly what I thought! It maybe as suggested a relay that is trying to get some other relay to 'lock in' which is not happening and thus the constant retry that invokes the buzzing. dunno.
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A few more hours on the machine tonight and I've got the reel system all cleaned up and put back together. Only had to pull it a part once for a mis-placed part after I put it all together. Well, I did have to refer to the photo I took of the left hand side of the assembly to figure how the right placement for the springs.

Now the reel assembly functions mechanically by spinning the reels and stopping them in sequence. When I put it back in the machine the handle pull doesn't quite activate the spin on the reels so some adjustment will need to be made tomorrow to fix that.

I'm pretty stoked that I got the main mechanical part to function properly and it's pretty simple on how it all works... just lots of parts dependent upon other parts. Very similiar to the way my Rock-Ola works!

More update tomorrow night as I will pull out the coin hopper and restore that and the safety system. I used one full can of Carb-Cleaner tonight and barely had enough. I'm gonna have to get two more cans tomorrow... good think AutoZone has a cheap generic brand cause that stuff can get expensive!
    Rusty Key

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well... she now works! Woo Hoo! Well.. mostly works. <grin>

It least 12 hours today on this machine to get it to were it plays like it should. As of now it will accept coins, the handle pull will spin the reels (flawlessly MOST of the time) and pays occur when they should. However I still have a few minor problems to remedy.

In order to get this machine to this point I had to tear down and rebuild EVERYTHING on this machine. Not a single component was left untouched and Lord knows I tried! It took a lot of research and a call or two to a slot tech that was familar with these EM machines.

Problems left: Under pays by one coin each win or multiple of 1 based on number of coins played (this should be a simple adjustment). Top Flourscent light does not illuminate (new bulb - I'm thinking ballast). If two coins are played the number of coins does not reset on next play but the 2nd coin activates the 3rd coin circuit (I think this is a bad contact). Then I can fix the broken glass (this still pisses me off).

Anyway, I've got some experience on Bally EM slot machines now so maybe I can find a few more! (Like I need another hobby!)
    Rusty Key

22. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

UPDATE: She's good enough to move out of the shop into the game room! The problem with the upper lamp was the starter that I've replaced and it now works. The short pay by one coin was fixed with an adjustment to the 'ZeroStop" bumper on the pay wheel. The lower belly glass light blinks and I think the bulb needs replacing.. anyone know how to get to this bulb with out having to take the whole door apart?

Still have the problem when only two coins are played.

Oh.. and that 'can' we say.. is exactly what we thought.. a flasher like in the old cars! It seems that when the door is open this flasher makes the white 'candle' light and a few other blink. I think it was buzzing because A)it was old and B)not enough working lights were in the machine to make it work right.

Thanks for everyone's help and interest!

Rusty
    Rusty Key

24. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

are you sure there aren't some tabs on the inside of the door to release the bellyglass, like the pachislos have??
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nah.. I've been looking.. even tryed a few bolts/nuts but when it didn't budge I quit thinking I might mess some alignment on something else just trying to 'guess' my way into it.
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the belly glass frame is held on with screws from the backside of the front door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast