Thread: Ultra-Simple Leaning Pachinko Shelf/Cabinet

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Ultra-Simple Leaning Pachinko Shelf/Cabinet

I wasn't too happy with my prior standalone cab effort (http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pach...rst-draft.html). It worked, but it was overly complicated and I didn't like the look of it.

I was thinking about simpler ways of doing a stand-alone and thought about the "leaning shelves" you see around.

So...

I used the cheapest materials I could find and the simplest design I could think of. Six 10-degree cuts, two straight cuts, four lag screws, and four toggle clamps later, here's what I've got.

I think I'm liking this. I want to do more tweaking, but I'm pleased with the function and the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to TailTrauma

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Ultra-Simple Leaning Pachinko Shelf/Cabinet

nice simple idea.easy and cheap to build,and looks nice .

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

oh,might i suggest adding another shelf above the machines?i think that would hold the sides together better,and you could toggle clamp the tops of the frames too.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    oh,might i suggest adding another shelf above the machines?i think that would hold the sides together better,and you could toggle clamp the tops of the frames too.
    Thanks! That's a good suggestion. I actually bought material for an upper shelf, but stopped before building that part. It is surprisingly sturdy with just the sides lagged to the 2x10 shelf, plus I wanted to get the most basic form together and see what kind of ideas I get from using it for a while.

I'd like to figure out some kind of top-loader arrangement to use with a top support, too. I'm thinking along the lines of a simple plastic bin for each machine. If you've got any ideas for that, I'd love to hear 'em.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

what about this for a start point??? im made a few with plexi fronts as well

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pach...mple-easy.html
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    what about this for a start point??? im made a few with plexi fronts as well

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pach...mple-easy.html
    That's really cool! I had never considered boxing around the payout tray. Hmmm... *ponders*

11. The following user says "Thanks" to TailTrauma

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Built a second one of these. I'm still digging the look of them. I like the 'installed' look of a row of machines... calls to mind (for me) an old parlor (2nd pic).

I've got most of a 3-unit shelf built, too, but was short on toggle clamps and banged up the 2x10 I planned to use on the way home.

I think I'm going to use corrugated plastic to make a ball return. It will simplify life, plus I won't have to leave space between the two units for reaching the lost balls.

I'd be tempted to attempt one of these out of nicer material, but I'm crap at finish work. (And I'm cheap... I like that the lumber cost for one of these is about $10. ) Even so, I'm pondering what I could manage with some nice dark redwood... Rip the outer eighth from the 2x6 to give a nice squared-off shape so it looks more like furniture and less like dimensional lumber.

13. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to TailTrauma

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They look great!

I use a variant of that kind of shelf myself.

The first pics are of my -wedged to the ceiling type-.

Left are 2x8" and are screwed to the sides of the machines as they both came from the same person with the custom frames.(balls fall to the front)Top is also my newest(most modern) and my only powered(knob) shooter.(date 56-6)

Right is a 2x10" with shelves held with three 4" screws per shelf.

I use spacing wedges to secure them to the ceiling. If you cut the uprights yourself(My local lumberyard cuts them for me-poorly) you can trim them so close to the ceiling you must stand them from up from the side. That tight a fit cannot fall away from the wall once a shelf is attached.(corner to corner of the X is longer than the height of the ceiling to floor)

The last two(six holder, 3 play, 3 show) have a 2x2" cleat for both horizontal shelves(2x8), the uprights hold up the front up(4" screws) and has an open top to accommodate a(future) ball feeder mech.

But I am big on practical not esoteric.

Trimed Redwood would look(and smell) great. But buy maybe 2x10" and trim long side to nine+ inch instead.

I have thought of using five 2x10" boards screwed to the sides of four machines for a Pachinko Party.(I have a wall of bookcases for a clear area) Now if you provide a low bench and have good friends you could double the number of machines.(Some stand on one side, Some sit on the other, Both feed the others machines)

Anyway keep pics coming.

15. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Cystic

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

to play the bottom machines you must have to sit cross legged
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

17. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by TailTrauma View Post

I'd be tempted to attempt one of these out of nicer material, but I'm crap at finish work. (And I'm cheap... I like that the lumber cost for one of these is about $10. ) Even so, I'm pondering what I could manage with some nice dark redwood... Rip the outer eighth from the 2x6 to give a nice squared-off shape so it looks more like furniture and less like dimensional lumber.
    ya can get 3/4 inch thick knoty pine boards from the local big box.. there cheap and with a simple spray can clear coat it looks great...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances