Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: While on vacation..bought Twilight Zone..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default While on vacation..bought Twilight Zone..

ummm...I have a problem with games it seems.

At least I didnt think so until now..

Long story short was that I found a Bally Twilight Zone sitting in the corner and asked the owner if he would part with it..had the money and scooted out the door. I felt like the lady in the Ikea commercials "start the car..start the car" LOL

So now I need to find info..hopefully a forum specific site as I gather Bally/Midway is long gone. (and much more complicated than any of my Pacinkos.

Mopar..you have any advice? thanks! bc3

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to BC3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: While on vacation..bought Twilight Zone..

Congratulations, you got yourself a well regarded Pinball

So have you got it home and all set up yet??

Here's the IPMD listing for it, if you haven't already checked it out, it may have some useful info and links for you,

The Internet Pinball Machine Database

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Twilight Zone!!

I am envious!!

I always found this Mod very cool for the Twilight Zone Pin
    Twilight Zone Pinball TV mod with scenes from series Digital Photo Keychains

the little TV sets turn up on ebay every now and then..

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks..the only thing that concerns me now is whether or not I am missing original pieces. The game works..I think it is missing one or 2 balls. The biggest loss so far is the clock assembly..and i hear its really hard to find and expensive. I am not sure if it originally came with the robot as show in your vid link..I am hoping its aftermarket. bc3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by BC3 View Post

Mopar..you have any advice? thanks! bc3
    Sorry never worked on a Pin... my wife is sure glad we dont have room for a pin...

Congrats one your new Machine
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Twilight Zone.
    One of the more interesting stories. From my understanding, this game didnt do very
    well in the arcades, but has since developed a "Cult" following of collectors. Although
    I cant play the game (Wheelchair doesnt allow a good enough "View" to play), many
    people tell me its a decent game.

Fixx
    FOUND: Dirty Pair Pachinko.. Thanks Compirate and Arby!

11. The following user says "Thanks" to mr. fixx

Thanks
    Thanks Received

TZ is a fantastic pin! It's also very popular, and if you can find a nice one for less than $2000, you're lucky.

As for info, you can check out the forums on klov.com, or if you have a newsreader, there's rec.games.pinball.

Here's something you MUST buy! It's very cheap for what you get.
    This Old Pinball, pinball restoration and pinball repair videos!

You want tape/DVD TOP#3: Lost in the Zone. It's a technical tape/DVD that deals with Twilight Zone. This Old Pinball has been around for quite awhile and "Shaggy" and "Norm" are awesome. They explain the ins and outs of the machine, and it is quite technical, but they do explain it in simple English. Trust me, you will want this tape/DVD. I have a bunch of them, and even though I may not have some machines they cover, the technical information covers a wide aspect of eras. Not to mention, they are VERT entertaining!

Congrats!!

Bill

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Ripweade

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi there,

Parts are plentiful for TZ. Marco specialities should have all the parts you need to build the clock, and sounds like you may have gotten a good deal. The robot is a mod, and not part of the original game. It should have 5 balls and a ceramic Powerball (six total). See ths internet pinball database for more info.

The folks at rec.games.pinball are mostly friendly and very helpful.

HAve fun with your new game

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks again for those links..

after looking under the "hood"..the initial shock has not worn off yet...alot more complicated than a vintage thats pachinko for sure..

The only thing that I have noticed so far is that occasionally the machine goes into a ball search of sorts when there isnt any playfield action for a couple of seconds (especially after ball launch)

familiarity takes time...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you said you seem to be missing a couple balls ... are you missing the "powerball"?
    Have a nice day

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks again for those links..

after looking under the "hood"..the initial shock has not worn off yet...alot more complicated than a vintage thats pachinko for sure..

The only thing that I have noticed so far is that occasionally the machine goes into a ball search of sorts when there isnt any playfield action for a couple of seconds (especially after ball launch)

familiarity takes time...

Once you start a game... if the CPU doesn't sense a switch being tripped withing a few seconds, it will assume that a ball was lost or trapped, and will fire all the coils, to try to get it back on the playield. If if falls off the playfield like under or something, it will search (usually 3 times) and then fire the next ball (if available)

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That seems to happen quite often (tries to find ball) and firing all to do so.

I do have the powerball and other 5..so ball count is good.

I did a test and found the following:

1) ck sw 53 left ramp enter: - the entrance fence wire was out of its hole, still inop as I dont know if its bent or supposed to be under the switch,,have to find close up pic.

2) ck sw 74 gumball popper (?)

3) ck gumball diverter (?)

4) clock is broken (uhh yeah , its GONE)

5) Ball popper opto is stuck - I think this is the big culprit.

6) The "extra ball' button in the front of the machine: the light and switch are hanging out of the button itself inside the machine and I'm not sure what holds those components in to button for it to work..got to be a clip missing.

7) The reset button for high game says its wiping it clean but after the countdown to do so..it still reads high scores

Thanks for the help..I am also posting on KLOVE to see if anyone has advice as well. bob

every once in a while I hear a large rapp from inside the machine..it sounds like a pinball is dropping off the playfield and onto the wooden decking of the machine. I havent found any balls inside, but two were in there earlier when I was cleaning it out. I figured they had either been put there, or down while in transit (unlikely) bc3
    Last edited by BC3; 08-01-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The following user says "Thanks" to BC3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well... let's get the easy one out of the way. The Rap/Knock you are hearing, is probably the Pinball machines, knocker,

You really need to see Clay's guides, and learn how to use a soldering iron (if you don't know already)

Lean how to read a schematic (if you don't know already) Do you have the manual?

Sounds like your machine has a few issues, but nothing too bad.

Ball popper is for getting balls into the gumball machine.

Gumball diverter controls whether or not the ball got to the popper or around the spiral

You DON'T NEED THE CLOCK to PLAY, in fact there is a setting that will "emulate" the clock, and the gumball machine, AND the Powerball.

Do you have the manual

Patience Patience Patience

You really need to see Clay's guides, and learn how to use a soldering iron (if you don't know already)

Lean how to read a schematic (if you don't know already) Do you have the manual?

Sounds like your machine has a few issues, but nothing too bad.

Ball popper is for getting balls into the gumball machine.

Gumball diverter controls whether or not the ball got to the popper or around the spiral

You DON'T NEED THE CLOCK to PLAY, in fact there is a setting that will "emulate" the clock, and the gumball machine, AND the Powerball.

Do you have the manual

Patience Patience Patience

THOSE are the people yo need to be talking to NOT KLOV
    Last edited by rubberratt; 08-01-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

21. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to rubberratt

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and if you havent got the manual down load it from here

The Internet Pinball Machine Database

the opto is probebly dirty they are pritty bullet proof so its a clean out with an air duster or a paint brush

the gate is ment to be under the switch so that when you push the gate eaither way it will depress the micro switch

the gumball diverter you will need to do a coil test to see if it works if not it is an issue on its own to deal with as it involves coil testing diode testing and finaly back to the transistor testing on the popcorn bord / main cpu

the high score countdown isnt counting down till it wipes them its counting down if you dont press enter in that time it will not wipe them (easyest way is to factory reset and start from the begining ie power down take out memory battorys and then put in new ones (old leaking battorys kill pins) then power up with a fresh start on factory settings and see what it dose after a couple of games

if i remember right the clock holds an opto controle bord and there for may answer the opto problems ie there contorle bord i smissing so down load the manual and set it to emulate the clock

hope this helps
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

23. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do have the manual, I do have a soldering iron, but it appears to be not the correct kind. I have "necessary tremors" and I shake like crazy. I will be practicing per their directions. I read through shaggy and norms site and ordered TOP3..so I am on my way.

There are two pinballs in the gumball and it does occasionally clear them out. I dont know if the optical sensor works, but read that I can pass a screwdriver btween the two to test..

The one that gives me the most trouble is directly after launch..the opto sensor is stuck,,but I didnt see a opto sensor..just a metal wire loop that juts into the track from the underside. It has to clear the ball by firing the popper.

Thanks! kids are playing it now by the way..they dont seem to notice
    testing the coil sounds complicated...figures that the one I need to test is at the back corner. It sounds as if the DVD that I ordered will really help me as its the same machine. As far as reading the schematics..not too late to learn I hope.

Q: to do the testing as you suggest..what piece of radio shack or other testor do you recommend (without breaking the bank)

Bob
    Last edited by BC3; 08-01-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to BC3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can Test the coil in the setup menu. In the manual

Get a good voltmeter, you don't need anything fancy, a digital auto-ranging meter will work nicely.

While you are there, get a telescoping magnet pen TRUST ME it will be unvaluable.

There is a selection in the adjustments menu to clear all the balls. With the playfield glass off, eject all the balls and grab them out of the trough. Then exit the menu system and after it beeps and goes to the "credits" display... put them all in, and it should three of them into the gumball machine. Just a good basic first test.

enjoy it

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

27. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to rubberratt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really neat trick for testing opto sensors-
    Grab a digital camera and look at the opto sensor through it. You will be able to see the UV transmitting LED lit up (which you can't see with the naked eye) That at least lets you know if it's transmitting, so you know when you have problems with the transmitter or receiver.

I'm jealous of your pin. It's a pretty neat model. Would go well with my Adams Family and Elvira machines.
    Elvira Pinball, Devil May Cry, Exhaust, Speed Racer,Looney Tunes Mahrajah Basement/Club where my pachis live...

29. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to kkentert

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks...

i am totally immersed in this right now..I am trying to find a clock and have called around quite a bit. You can buy "most" of the parts..just not all of them. I did post on one of the groups and got an offer for a new one in a box...for $1000.00 ummm ..no...waay to rich for my blood.

I am in parts search mode now...

31. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to BC3

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks...

i am totally immersed in this right now..I am trying to find a clock and have called around quite a bit. You can buy "most" of the parts..just not all of them. I did post on one of the groups and got an offer for a new one in a box...for $1000.00 ummm ..no...waay to rich for my blood.

I am in parts search mode now...
    good luck to ya
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast