Thread: Sankyo Vintage stuck on the jackpot! Mechs won't work

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sankyo Vintage stuck on the jackpot! Mechs won't work

O.K., so I got my balls from VP. So now I'm flipping balls from the backside and the dang jackpot mechs won't complete the cycle. The light comes on and the mechs move, but not all the way. Just a light touch and they complete the cycle. Lubricants are taboo, but dang, I think it needs something. Here are the sticking points I guess. See pics. Anybody know what to do here?

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Vintage stuck on the jackpot! Mechs won't work

it might just have some sticky pivot points like you said ,maybe squirt some 409 or windex there ,and cycle the mechanism back and forth until it frees up .i would not use any oil unless absolutely necessary ,and sparingly .
    Last edited by pinball wizard; 07-29-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

its been my experiance that your going to have to take the pivot points apart and clean them.. someone may have put some lube on them in the past and there gumed up with dust and grime
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've had to do that on my sankyo, I had a similar problem, took the long arm apart (your bottom pic.) It has a metal "pin" that I cleaned the two ends off because thats where the other pieces fit in, the pin doesn't go through anything, just the ends of this pin do, so I cleaned that piece real good, and that worked for me. I didn't have to add any lubs. just a good cleaning. Hope that helps ..

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to newbie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well.. the good thing is you know the machine works and all the parts are there and functioning albeit with a little assistance.

This is where (I think) the fun part of a Vintage comes in. Take a lot of digital upclose photos. Then take off a layer of 'covers' and take a few more photos. Then start removing the working components and put them on a table/work bench keeping all the screws and/or clips grouped together. After you take off a set of components to expose the next layer.. take a few more photos.

When you got it all apart, reverse what you did and use the photos as a reminder on how the parts were originally installed. My method: As you pick up each part, use glass cleaner (Windex or generic) and clean that part. Use fine grade emory cloth to polish up all the metal swivel points. Only use the emory cloth on the plastic pieces that VERY gunked up as it may scratch the plastic. Pick a part, clean, polish, re-install, repeat.

When you are done take some more photos and compare the before and after! Then post here for all to see your accomplishment! You will find that the more dig into these machines the higher your appreciation for the ingenuity and simplisity of them.

Of course.. you could just clean up the jackpost release arm and be done. But eventually, you'll come back the process I mention above just because it'll be fun!

Good luck!
    Rusty Key

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Will do. I will post some more pics when I dig into it further. I'm going to post a pic of a part that I need that was missing when I got this machine. So look for that. Reposting so more will see. Thanks.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Sanktheyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Had the same problem when I first got my Sankyo.
    Turned out that the long lower rod was rubbing just slightly behind the plastic cover. Bent it slightly and it solved the problem. Just the slightest bit of friction will cause it to hang up.
    Also have used silicone spray lubricant on the pivot points without any problems. The type that doen't leave any oil residue.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to mbodi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wink Re: Sankyo Vintage stuck on the jackpot! Mechs won't work

I have been told that TV tuner cleaner will help with left over oil residue and evaporate without a trace. I have NOT tried this fix ... Y.M.M.V.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to DrDark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

O.K., kids are asleep! So here I go...I took off the plastic and removed the second pivot point, cleaned it and re-installed. I looked at the jackpot mech and I noticed a nut (rusty) that has no purpose other than weight? Does this need any more weight? Hmmm. anyway, I used 1000 grit sandpaper and it came out nice and shiny. I put everything back together and it works...sometimes. It is very fickle/sensitive. We are not talking about a great amount of weight here so the slightest improvement is a good thing. It seems the factory knew what they were doing when they assembled and tested these machines so no adjustment is usually necessary, just clean I guess.

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Sanktheyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yup, thats what mine looked like, actually thats a washer I believe you are talking about, and to tell ya the truth, I was not able to get the washer back in place, fat fingers I guess, and my jackpot works fine now. I am not saying thats the way to go, because as you can tell from my screen name, I am kinda new...

18. The following user says "Thanks" to newbie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mbodi View Post
    Had the same problem when I first got my Sankyo.
    Turned out that the long lower rod was rubbing just slightly behind the plastic cover. Bent it slightly and it solved the problem. Just the slightest bit of friction will cause it to hang up.
    I have seen the same issue on Nishijin's. That long arm that the jackpot ball lands on before exiting to the losing ball tray - it sometimes is out of alignment and rubs on the sides of the plastic track it follows. The friction is just enough to stop the jackpot payout sequence. Once you bend it ever-so-slightly back into alignnment, the machine will work normally again.

Of course, a good cleaning never hurts either.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay, I'm going nuts. I've cleaned all the pivot points, and here is where it seems to be getting stuck. That is, when I hit the jackpot, the linkage moves a little and gets stuck, then I slightly pull down on the jackpot release housing and the linkage then continues...has anyone ever taken away material on this? I can either take away nylon off the linkage or plastic off the ball release...any thoughts? I'm kind of weary taking anything off...'cause we all know once it's gone, it's gone.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sanktheyo View Post
    Okay, I'm going nuts. I've cleaned all the pivot points, and here is where it seems to be getting stuck. That is, when I hit the jackpot, the linkage moves a little and gets stuck, then I slightly pull down on the jackpot release housing and the linkage then continues...has anyone ever taken away material on this? I can either take away nylon off the linkage or plastic off the ball release...any thoughts? I'm kind of weary taking anything off...'cause we all know once it's gone, it's gone.
    i had one of thouse broken at the bottom.. after making the repair i had to adjust the metal that stoped the balls... by making small adjustments to the metal at the bottom it raised and lowered the balls alowing the trip mech to work freeley...

the bigest problem i have found with vintage machines is some one forcing something and either bending it or breaking it.. or most of the time both...

befor ya start cuting and grinding try making small adjustments to the metal pieces that may have bent..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Try adding another nut on the one that acts as a counter weight.
    That might do it. I think its a standard thread.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to mbodi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

SUCCESS! O.K. you guys will laugh, but sometimes the simplest thing will do the trick. I tried a bunch of different sized washers that would add a little weight to the jackpot pivot arm...where the ball rests and pushes down on the arm...it works so LOL!!!It re-cocks itself just fine every time so I think I'll just leave well enough alone. Ding...Ding...Ding!

27. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Sanktheyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice fix!!!

I remember sticking a penny on the phonograph arm to keep the needle from skipping

but.that idea didn't help the records or needle much
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sometimes fixing is better then playing...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Interesting, thanks ! good to know,