Thread: Japanese Candy Cab Build

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Japanese Candy Cab Build

So...one day while roaming craigslist I see something that caught my eye. Someone was GIVING AWAY 27" arcade monitors. Here was the catch...I had to take ALL 29 of them or none at all. Now, I simply do not have the vehicle or space for all these monitors so I was a bit let down. I asked if I could just have one but no luck. So, a few weeks later I see another listing from the same guy, now the deal is buy 1, get 7 free for $99 lol. Not to drag this story on too long, I managed to get 2 of them for $50! One is dirty and dusty as all hell but works perfectly, the other is damn near brand new but the screen is red, definitely something fixable though. So it got me thinking. I love Japanese candy cabs but they're impossible to find around here. I have an X-Arcade Tankstick, which is one hell of an arcade controller btw, but playing classic arcade games on my LCD tv just doesn't do it for me. My plan is to build somewhat of a Sega New Astro City replica, but give it my own touch. Here is a pic of one for reference:

I plan on making it black, a stealth candy cab if you will It probably won't be as rounded as the real cab since i'm not THAT good at woodworking, but I think it should come out fine. I'm hopefully keeping the tankstick in tact instead of ripping the components out and making a new control panel. I'd like to have MAME, NES, SNES, and Genesis so i'm sure I can get away with a fairly low end built PC. Anyways, here are the monitors:

I will post my progress as I go along.
    Last edited by MrGneiss; 07-22-2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Made pics smaller!! :-D
    This game induces a kind of hypnosis, a strange feeling of happiness. Winning is hardly important. But, time passes. You lose touch with yourself for a while, and merge with a machine and perhaps you forget, what you always wanted to forget.....

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to FireAndIce

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Japanese Candy Cab Build

Droooooooooooooooooool
    Last edited by rubberratt; 07-21-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Japanese Candy Cab Build

One of my friends had about a dozen blast cities sitting in a warehouse he needed out so i bought the lot. All originally bass fishing. Took me awhile but finally sold them all off. A lot of people -love- those candies but i still prefer the wood cabinets.. give me a good old dynamo! It's cool that the candies being mostly metal are hard to screw up too bad unless they get dented. You can always strip them down and pressure wash them. Can't do that with a wood cabinet obviously.