Thread: Clamp-on Feet, Suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Clamp-on Feet, Suggestions?

Hi all!

I wasn't too keen on drilling holes in my vintages to attach feet, and I wanted to experiment with ideas on an integrated clamp... thinking about ways to make a stand-alone frame that could be easily removed from one machine and attached to a different one.

Pics of my first try attached. First pic shows the feet from the front (left machine), 2nd and 3rd are detail shots. I used 1x4 Poplar and a 1/4x3 carriage bolt countersunk into the bottom of the foot. I added the shims because I wanted the clamping force to be applied near the center of the frame.

It worked... was stable, left my frame unmolested, and can be easily removed and used on a different machine.

Anybody else doing something like this? Any ideas on better ways of doing this, or suggestions on alternatives to the big block of wood for the top part of the clamp?

-TT
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to TailTrauma

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Clamp-on Feet, Suggestions?

thats an interesting idea..

i have always used small wood screws.. once removed they is little damage...

but i do like your idea
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Clamp-on Feet, Suggestions?

you can just use a board on each side with heavy duty clamps for quick release till you make a stand or cabinet or when working on one!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've done something like that for the one that's on my bench right now using c-clamps. It works great!

I've (already!) got more machines than usable play space, so I'd like to be able to rotate machines. I'm wanting to make a frame/stand that clamps on to the machine and can be switched from machine to machine without a whole lot of trouble. The clamp-on feet are first try at how I'd attach it... plus a way to get presentable feet on the machine so I could put it out for people to play at a game night yesterday. (People loved 'em, by the way... had to shoo a couple of friends off them at 1:30 AM so I could go to sleep.)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

there was a metal frame for sale on YJA that looked like a wide H with clamps welded onto the cross piece. did exactly what yours did, but had ~2 inch wide flat, black (maybe chrome?) feet sticking out.

I use the luckydog clamp method, too, but it does slip if you're not careful with heavy machines.

and, I agree with mopar that the screws don't really show, especially if you screw in from the bottom of the machine where no one's going to be looking. I just use a rechargeable drill w/bit and spin them in/out.

keep designing. we love to see new ideas for pachinko's
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks! I'm having fun trying to come up with a design. My working idea now is an adjustable width 'H', with the pachi sitting in the upper half and the lower half being legs. Adjustable width because I want to resize for varying machine widths and clamp to the sides of the frame... added stability, plus be able to accommodate pachis with feet attached. I'm also poking at minimalist ways to include a ball hopper and return funnel... but I'm guessing that will end up being version 2.0 if at all.

Here's my 'workbench' feet: I used a piece of 2x4 glued and screwed to a piece of 1x4 in a T, and I clamp the 1x4 to the pachi frame with C clamps. (I got really paranoid about stability after I knocked over one of my machines and shattered the payout tray... )

They're super stable and can even be clamped down with the pachi suspended a little bit above bench... pretty nice when there's sharp metal bits trying to gouge up the bench when you slide the machine.

11. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to TailTrauma

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by TailTrauma View Post
    Thanks! I'm having fun trying to come up with a design. My working idea now is an adjustable width 'H', with the pachi sitting in the upper half and the lower half being legs. Adjustable width because I want to resize for varying machine widths and clamp to the sides of the frame... added stability, plus be able to accommodate pachis with feet attached. I'm also poking at minimalist ways to include a ball hopper and return funnel... but I'm guessing that will end up being version 2.0 if at all.

Here's my 'workbench' feet: I used a piece of 2x4 glued and screwed to a piece of 1x4 in a T, and I clamp the 1x4 to the pachi frame with C clamps. (I got really paranoid about stability after I knocked over one of my machines and shattered the payout tray... )

They're super stable and can even be clamped down with the pachi suspended a little bit above bench... pretty nice when there's sharp metal bits trying to gouge up the bench when you slide the machine.
    i think ya might have a bit of the Polish Carpenter in ya
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Doesn't look that great, but it might do the job.

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん