Thread: Vintage Maruhon Center Jackpot Payout Mechanism

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage Maruhon Center Jackpot Payout Mechanism

Hello all! Great Forum!

Just picked-up out first vintage Pachinko (or any Pachinko for that matter). Believe it to be from the early 1970's (1972?)- I did see the thread on dating the machines using inspection stickers, and dated using that method last week, but forgot the exact year.

Did some clean-up, bought some pachinko balls, etc. Noticed that the Center Jackpot Payout control mechanism had a broken plastic part. Essentially, there is a plastic piece that slides vertically. The rocker of the payour mechanism interfaces with this piece (opposite the metal end that retains the payout balls). I believe that the plastic piece controls the flow of balls into the paypout mechanism, and with another piece (or four ) releases the payout. However, this plastic piece is broken (it came that way, so I have no idea of the remaining shape of the piece).

Does anyone have a photo of a Vintage Maruhon center jackpot payout mechanism (or a manual/book suggestion that may show this)? If I know what it looks like, I can determine whether I can fabricate a fix. for the broken part.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Paul
    Last edited by PAulB; 06-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to PAulB

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Vintage Maruhon Center Jackpot Payout Mechanism

I'm sure our members will be able to assist you, and some of them are dab hands at fabricating the parts that are not easy to find these days

it may be helpful if you could post a pic of your Maruhon and also the part(s) in question??

In the meantime, Welcome to PachiTalk Paul!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Maruhon Center Jackpot Payout Mechanism

Thanks !

Here are some photos- the first with the (white) linkage connected between the jackpot payout mechanism. The second with the (white) linkage removed. The third is a close-up of the broken piece (I believe some of the side-wall of the white piece is broken off- but don't know its original shape). The Jackpot Payout doesn't function properly, as when it is loading, balls fall-though continuously (probably due to the broken piece). Just wondering whether someone has a photo of a working center jackpot payout mechanism and how it is connected with the linkage.

I also included a photo of the rear, the rear-top and the rear-botton.
    The lid for the channel leading to the jackpot payout was missing, as is the cover for the jackpot mechanism, and a cover on the left side covering the mechanism that helps divert the jackpot payoff to the winner path.

I'm wondering what other pieces that are missing? For example, I see a "hanging wire"- that is a wire that goes nowhere (however, looks like it could fit along with something into the channel a winning ball would take exiting the machine (the small exit path on the left bottom). And, another photo showing a white-ended 'piston' that is not apparently connected to anything, .

A photo showing the front as well. It looks like it may be a 1975 machine (052 on the sticker)

Thanks for any insight that can be provided. Sorry if this post is confusing.

Paul B
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to PAulB

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

please post a pic of the part in question.. if its the front of the machine there are lots of different styles.. if its the back then thats easier to find exact pics to help ya

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/gene...-post-pic.html
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I was thinking about it, and looked at it again, and believe I know how the original looked... I believe that it was the same height on three sides- the top, left side, and bottom (and hence the lower half of left side, and the bottom wall have broken off). Complete walls on the broken white piece with an open side on the right piece would provide a place for the white linkage to rest within the broken white piece, push the broken white piece up, and return the broken white piece down (based on triggering of the win path), and while in the down position, he bottom wall would provide a place for the blue rocker to sit, preventing premature release of the jackpot payout. I'll see if I can explain my rational...

I was playing with the mechanism, and the white linkage driven by the payout linkage from the win path must be tied to the broken piece. Further I believe that the bottom (missing) wall of the broken piece, when in its original condition, would hold the blue rocker remain further out, holding the payout balls in place when the payout is loaded.

I've sort of temporarily built up the jackpot payoff to accomplish this, as shown in the photos.

1. I attached a masking tape ball to the white trigger linkage.
    2. I attached the 'fix' tape ball to the top wall of the broken piece, to couple the two together.
    3. The jackpot payout in ready condition. Essentially, the fix is high enough and occupies the space that the bottom missing wall of the broken piece would have occupied.
    4. The jackpot payout triggered. Essentially, when the win path is triggered, it moves the linkage up, so that the blue rocker collapses towards the payout mechanism body, releasing the balls in the payout.
    5. The win path in ready mode- when a ball traverses the win path, the ball falling through gravity causes the rocker arm in the win path to lower, and this triggers the linkage described in photo 4.
    6. The win path triggered to the bottom, triggering the jackpot. (Ball not shown- triggered manually). The linkage by the jackpot mechanism causes the broken white piece to rise, blocking the ball path preventing balls from entering the jackpot payout mechanism. Further, as the broken white piece has risen, the metal portion of the blue rocker (weighted down by the balls in the jackpot payout) moves away from the payout mechanism, releasing the payout (Photo 4) . When the winning ball continues down the win path past the rocker arm, the rocker arm returns to its ready position. This in turn causes the linkage at the jackpot payout to pull the broken white piece down, doing two things: releasing balls to refill the jackpot mechanism, and the balls push against the metal portion of the blue rocker which again rests against the 'fix' added to the broken white piece, preventing release of the payout. This essentially returns the jackpot payout to the ready condition of Photo 3.

Really a clever mechanism, these pachinko machines are!

I believe I have to rebuild the left and bottom wall of the jackpot payout. Does this seem correct to those I haven't completly confused?

Thanks

Paul B
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to PAulB

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sounds like you have it nailed down.. your broken piece can be repaired with some 2 part epoxy (i like the clear 5 min kind)

take a look at this Vid.. its a little differetn then your machine but it will show ya your on the right track

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...l-b-video.html
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: Vintage Maruhon Center Jackpot Payout Mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    sounds like you have it nailed down.. your broken piece can be repaired with some 2 part epoxy (i like the clear 5 min kind)

Check your Mail in the next few Days.

Spoiler
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by PAulB View Post

I'm wondering what other pieces that are missing? For example, I see a "hanging wire"- that is a wire that goes nowhere (however, looks like it could fit along with something into the channel a winning ball would take exiting the machine (the small exit path on the left bottom).
    not a confusing post at all

the wire need to be inserted into the jackpot payout it will slow the speed of the jackpot cycle by holding the jackpot ball in the down position.. when the payout balls fall there is a lever that should lift that wire out of position allowing the wining ball to then fall into the cup out back.. the delay is verry verry short but may be part of your overall problem

And, another photo showing a white-ended 'piston' that is not apparently connected to anything, .
    that is exactly correct.. it is a manual reset.. from time to time the jackpot will not reset itself... for one reason or another.. that "button" is there so you can manualy return the jackpot to the up position.. all vintage have this in one from or another

Spoiler
    Confused
    Last edited by Moparformances; 06-23-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wink Re: Vintage Maruhon Center Jackpot Payout Mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    Confused
    Spoiler

Spoiler
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

17. The following user says "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Moparformances, for the confirmation about the broken piece, and the information about the "hanging wire" and the "white piston".

Re: the broken piece. I don't have the missing part that broke off. Do you use 5 min epoxy to actually rebuild walls onto parts (as opposed to gluing broken parts back together)? And, if so, it looks like I'm going to be creating a 3/8 inch wall. When working with 5 min epoxy, are there any substances (i.e., like wax paper aluminum foil) that can be used to create a form for the epoxy to fit into and be shaped into, that the epoxy won't stick to?

If you don't use 5 min epoxy to rebuild parts, are there other 'things' (I hate using the word things) that can be used to rebuild a part (I was thinking Bondo, but don't know how to stop Bondo from sticking to the form I'm going to use for rebuilding the broken part.

Thanks again for the help!

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to PAulB

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Moparformances, for the confirmation about the broken piece, and the information about the "hanging wire" and the "white piston".
    Thats y were hear

Re: the broken piece. I don't have the missing part that broke off. Do you use 5 min epoxy to actually rebuild walls onto parts (as opposed to gluing broken parts back together)? And, if so, it looks like I'm going to be creating a 3/8 inch wall. When working with 5 min epoxy, are there any substances (i.e., like wax paper aluminum foil) that can be used to create a form for the epoxy to fit into and be shaped into, that the epoxy won't stick to?

If you don't use 5 min epoxy to rebuild parts, are there other 'things' (I hate using the word things) that can be used to rebuild a part (I was thinking Bondo, but don't know how to stop Bondo from sticking to the form I'm going to use for rebuilding the broken part.

Thanks again for the help!
    i have used the epoxy for both.. to rebuild and to reglue.. lots of reglueing but only once or twice rebuilding... and just small parts.. i was able to just blob on the epoxy and then use my dremel and files to shape it once done.. i would try heavy aluminum foil to make a form.. if it ends upo sticking no biggy to grind and file it back off.. i have see other members use bondo.. but i dont think of bondo as something i can recreate parts out of.. i dont think its strong enough for the long haul??? possably epoxy coated bondo?? the epoxy would soak in and make it harder??

just some thoughts