Thread: Issues with a friends dr dude PLease help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Issues with a friends dr dude PLease help

I have a 1993 Gottlieb Doctor Dude, and for the life of me cant figure this out. There was a batter holder in the cabinet no wired up to anythint. There is also a battery holder on the MPU so I put 3 AA in the battery holder and no go!!! Everytime I turn it on it revert back to factor settings. I also noticed the build in battery storage wires are not connect to anything. How would I go about getting battery to work on this machine...PLEASE HELP!

Also the left side of the bulbs are out...I have tested the bulbs and they are good. Is there a fuse I am missing to make them light up?
    Pins Currently Own: Cue Ball Wizard, Gladiator, Lethal Weapon 3 Prior Party Animal,flash,pinbot,TX-Sector,Street Fighter II,Mario Andretti,Bad Girls,Middle Earth,Spring Break

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Issues with a friends dr dude PLease help

Also the AA battery's and the holder are extrememly hot!
    Pins Currently Own: Cue Ball Wizard, Gladiator, Lethal Weapon 3 Prior Party Animal,flash,pinbot,TX-Sector,Street Fighter II,Mario Andretti,Bad Girls,Middle Earth,Spring Break

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Exclamation Re: Issues with a friends dr dude PLease help

If the battery holder or batteries are hot, you have a short somewhere.
    Remove the batteries until you have corrected the short.
    Photos would help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Come to find out the red wire is the negative and black wire is positive, go figure..so once I hooked that up it worked like a charm!

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Stinger357

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

thats a bally Dr Dude stinger if you got a row of bulbs out and it isnt the bulbs its RTFM time the manual downloadable from ipd will tell you what row / colum the bulbs are attached to start with the fuse for that set then work back if it is all the bulbs in that row it will usualy be the fuse the triack or the negative cable
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it sounds like you fixed the battery problem .like doc said ,download the manual. the problem is most often a bad driver transistor .

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK Another issue the setting button. I can go through AU, AD, something else for adjusting it...and I can scroll through all the settings but can't seem to change them, the closest button to me the settings button will not operate, it wont change a thing. Could it be a bad solder? The middle works to go back and forth through the settings...but that darn settings accept button will not function...any help!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well setting button has been resolved...you use the start button to change yes/no prompts...I wish someone with a bally could have told me that. Also the fuses I RTFM and it did no good!!! It doesnt tell me the fuse and where it is located for the left side GI lights...I tested 10 fuses and all seem to be good. I am going to test the other 10 to make sure its not a fuse. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot better.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yup bally and williams use the start button for adjustments

if it is gi that isnt working then it wont be on a triack you will probebly find its the gi connector that has burnt out eaither the conector itself or the pins in the bord its a common fault as the conectors wernt man enough realy to be left on 12 hours a day 7 days a week ect ect will check the manual give oyu the fuse number and the gi conection number you need to trace the schematics back when we say rtfm they wont just hand it on a plate as in fuse 1 controles ... in a table as the 1 fuse can controle up to 4 or 5 colums or rows its a case of tracing the scematic and finding wich fuse it ends up at anoying at time i know iv been there

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

But what would cause the fuses to out just like that...I mean first the left side backglass now the right side has gone out...wtf

Thanks
    Thanks Received

are you talking about the back box lamps being out or the GI lamps Gi lamps are what sit under the plastics on the playfield is te only lighting you have now the flashing lights and inserts when playing the game if so from the schematics i got (they arnt to clear bad copy) it looks like conector J14 is the GI conector hope this helps

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bad connector...it looks burnt..when we wiggle the wires the lights come on...so its a bad connector.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had the same issues on my Indiana Jones Pinn. The Plug for the Back Board lights fell "ill" to the current draw and virtually Melted the Solder connections for it on the PC Board.
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger357 View Post
    Bad connector...it looks burnt..when we wiggle the wires the lights come on...so its a bad connector.
    Great Plains Electronics sells the Terminal blocks and the IDC connectors you need to rebuild the connector.

MAKE SURE you replace both... or they'll burn up again

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My Tech came out and replaced the entire module even the stuff on the board..plus the connector...so it works perfect now...thanks for everyone's advice.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Stinger357

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger357 View Post
    An easy way to keep from getting connector burn from the GI is to switch to #47 bulbs or LEDs. The #44 bulbs draw .25 amps and the #47 only draw .15 amps which is like 40% less and only a bit dimmer. The #47s also run cooler so they are less likely to warp plastics.

A box 10 #47 bulbs from Pinballlife are only $1.00!!!

All of my machines have had the all #44s switched to #47s and so far 3 of my machines have full LEDs, GI included.

I am currently getting the GI done in my Starship Troopers but it is turning into a FULL shop job as all the plastics and ramps need to be removed to get to the bulbs.

Bulb holders on Sega machines are stapled to the playfield not screwed on like Williams machines.
    Rocky, King Camel, Terminator, Popeye, Sindbad Adventure, Super Blackjack, Babel, Death Valley ---- Pinball Machines: Star Trek TNG, Black Knight 2000, Theatre of Magic, Mystery Castle, Starship Troopers, SlugFast, Firepower, Baywatch, Checkpoint, Grand Prix

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to fast toys

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just fixed a Dr. Dude that had most of the general illumination bulbs off. I had to replace THREE burnt connectors (the male and female halves) on the interface board. I also discovered the 4 pin connector for the yellow and yellow-white wires at the transformer burnt to a crisp and had to replace that too. This machine is going to get some LED's installed to reduce the load on the connectors to keep this from happening again.
    Carbon Arc---the light that's bright is the light that's right!