Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Done with my second playing field replacement with step-by-step pdf

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Done with my second playing field replacement (with step-by-step pdf)

A little bit more on the palyfield removal technique MX is describing. This is mostly concerning the Nishijin machines (or those that have water staining) The playfield graphics are basically a piece of wallpaper glued down to the beechwood plywood with the mylar set over it. So treat it as such to get as much of the glue/paper off and you won't have to deal with clogged sandpaper. It usually takes less than 30 minutes to do. One tip- don't get too agressive with the putty knife, just let the water soak a little longer. Try to keep the playing surface as smooth as possible.

Once removed, the woodgrain will be rough due to the water & scraping. Then we sand it with 220 grit to smooth it out, wood putty in any divits, and then coat it with sanding sealer or polyurethane. Usually 1-2 coats with a sanding of 320 grit or finer after each coat. You do not want to have any rough grain showing or the vinyl will pick it up. And don't leave the poly/sealer glossy, the vinyl needs a slighlty rough surface to stick best.

So far this has worked great, total time to new graphic down is about 2-3 hours (Not counting breaks for drying time)

2. The following user says "Thanks" to ShopratFab

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Done with my second playing field replacement (with step-by-step pdf)

Good job and thanks for the PDF file. Really helps motivate

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to GameXGame

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by GameXGame View Post
    to Pachitalk!

If you have a machine of your own we'd love to see pictures of it.

Cell replacements are hard at first but once you get over one it is easy to do them in the future. I'm halfway done with one at the moment.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by GameXGame View Post
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice. kinda like the one I just picked up this morning.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to ssgtmc

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the great step-by-step! I'm interested in replacing my playing field with one of the new ones available online. After watching your presentation I must ask, is it necessary to disassemble the machine as far as you did, such as removing components from the back side, just to replace the playing field graphic? Rather than just a Yes or No answer, I would appreciate any advice you may feel appropriate? As far as I can tell, my machine is a 1968 Nishijin.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Thanks for the great step-by-step! I'm interested in replacing my playing field with one of the new ones available online. After watching your presentation I must ask, is it necessary to disassemble the machine as far as you did, such as removing components from the back side, just to replace the playing field graphic? Rather than just a Yes or No answer, I would appreciate any advice you may feel appropriate? As far as I can tell, my machine is a 1968 Nishijin.
    First to Pachitalk!

You do have to remove the back mechanics. As many components cover the nail heads that you have to remove in order to replace the playfield. Also you will inevitably end up dropping something into one of the holes on the front and then the only way to get it out is to remove the mechanics. Lastly it doesn't make much sense to go through and replace the playfield and still have the mechanics all filled with slime (trust me they are dirtier than they look).

Also post some pictures of your machine when you get a chance. We'll be able to tell you almost anything you want or need to know about it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. And once again welcome to PT.

-Max

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    max

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post

You do have to remove the back mechanics. As many components cover the nail heads that you have to remove in order to replace the playfield. Also you will inevitably end up dropping something into one of the holes on the front and then the only way to get it out is to remove the mechanics. Lastly it doesn't make much sense to go through and replace the playfield and still have the mechanics all filled with slime (trust me they are dirtier than they look).
    -Max
    You will also need to get to the cotter pins from the back, that hold the ball track on the front of the playing field. So it can be removed before background artwork can be replaced.

New link to the how to replace playing field artwork, the old link will soon no longer work

http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/...0model%20B.pdf
    Last edited by cardwwi; 03-03-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cardwwi View Post
    You will also need to get to the cotter pins from the back, that hold the ball track on the front of the playing field. So it can be removed before background artwork can be replaced.

Or you can replace them with 18ga. stainless steel safety wire. Loop it through, twist, pull & staple to backer. Then I smear wood glue over it so the wood kinda conforms around it.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

where is the pdf file ,

Thanks
    Thanks Received

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry took so long to post step by step.

http://home.windstream.net/cardwwi/replacement.pdf

Evidently this link is no good anymore.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

New link http://pachinkoman.com/attachments/F...in_model_B.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDan View Post
    Evidently this link is no good anymore.

22. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice work! Thanks for showcasing them here.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So after all this time how have they been holding up?

Max
    2004 Star Wars R2D2, 2014? The Ring 3, 2007 Looney Toons, 2003 Thunderbirds, 2006 Captain Harlock, Super Sea Story, Gladiator 9 Drums

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good

Quote Originally Posted by ZJ_MAX View Post
    So after all this time how have they been holding up?

Max

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good
    Now up to 22 replacements with the safety wire technique and they are holding great with no issues. One item we found is upgrade to an air stapler to staple down the wire with a 3/8" staple, it goes much faster and you can find them for about $40 now. If you have an air compressor buy one, it's worth the money. Or get an electric one, either way it makes the process go much faster.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have done over 100 replacments using the original cotter pins with no problems.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry took so long to post step by step.

http://home.windstream.net/cardwwi/replacement.pdf
    Can you repost with a working link? Thanks!
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast