Thread: Sinbad Pinball Help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sinbad Pinball Help

I have a Sinbad Solid State pinball. I am having 2 problems. One I have had since I got it is, All of the targets don't score so you can never get more than double bonus. After I bought it they all worked for one night and then no more. This also keeps you from getting extra ball, special, etc.

My second problem is that when you use the right flipper it sticks in the up position. When you turn it off it goes down and will stay that way until you turn it on and flip again.

As a side note I was reading something about a grounding setup that can be put on these Gottlieb System 1 machines that helps. I couldn't find an example though.

Thanks for the help.
    Brent G.- Roswell, NM 5 Vintages, 6 Moderns
    Need an Arepachi, and a Power Flush (Got It!) Sinbad pinball (Got It!)!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sinbad Pinball Help

i had a flipper do that to me on a machine. i rebuilt the flipper and it works great. you may want to check the contacts on that flipper to make sure it is not always touching. check all the bolts on the flipper mech itself. may need a new coil. those are cheap. for your scoring issue i cannot help you there. but i am sure somebody will be able to help you out.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to djcasper_bpm

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

if its a solid state make sure the diode on the flipper is good then go back to the popcorn bord (the one with all the switching transistors on) you may find one of them heats and sticks open after the first flip hence it drops after powerdown

if it stayed up after it was powered down the ni would say clean up the tube in the coil and the plunger rod also change the return spring
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll check those things out when I get home. Any ideas on the other 2 things?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

take a look here on the targets problem under when things dont work / switches on the matrix got a feeling it is just a cable come adrift or dry jointed on the target back to the matrix probebly the ground to take all targest out

PINBALL Gottlieb System 1 Pinball Repair

let us know how you gets on

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I checked a couple of things last night. When the flipper is stuck in the up position, I couldn't even force it back down. As usual, when I turned it off it went down immediately. I checked for any place that something might be touching, but no go. This thought just occurred to me. Since it is a double flipper and both of them stick in the up position, would that change the diagnosis?

Also, the old battery is still there. I didn't see any obvious leakage, but possibly there is behind it.

Another question too, (yes I have a lot) There is a sign inside the machine near the boards that says "when removing circuit boards turn the unit off at the switch and leave the unit plugged in" Is that what I need to do when I start taking these things off to work on them?
    Also, DR, I have looked at that pin repair guide and I am so confused. It uses terms I just don't understand. I don't solder (although it looks like I may have to learn). I wish I understood it all better. It is really frustrating for me when I don't know what I'm doing. I really like to be able to fix things.
    Last edited by who922; 05-19-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the reason for the sign is because the boards have some components which are easily destroyed by static electricity .they need to be grounded for protection .make sure all of the ground braids inside your machine are attached ,and make sure the ground pin on the power plug is still there .they were sometimes cut off to allow the machine to be plugged into older style outlets .bad grounds have been known to cause problems in solid state machines .as for the battery ,i would remove it ,and replace it with a remote battery holder .

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if both flippers on the same side are stickig up then it shows even more the same diagnosis as they will run off the same circet usualy and there for the same switching transistors

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, the switch at the button was actually sticking together. It looks like the little round part on one side was completely gone.

I took the CPU board off and I am doing the battery fix and the Ground fix. The continuity to the part of the board where my problem seems to coming from checks out good. I'm still trying to figure out my other problem.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

good good so just the targets to sort out

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So, here I am a year and a half later and guess what? My Pin still doesn't work right. I have almost got the game room completed, so I want it to work. I replaced the edge connector that goes to the part of the board that controls all of the problem areas...and still a no go. Very frustrating!! (Although between the kids and me we played 85 games in a day!) Also a second problem came up after I plugged it and started playing. The 3rd player plays, but you can't see the score. i don't know what that's about.

I did...change out the battery system with the new battery system and I put a brand new cable from the board to the sound board. I just don't know where to go from here. There's literally no one within 3 hours from that I can find to work on my machine. That could get a little pricey! Ok, fire away.

And, by the way, I can't believe I asked that dumb system board question earlier!!! I'm a computer tech! I work with anti-
    static bags and anti-static wrist bands all the time!!! I change motherboards on computers, printers voip phones and ipads!! I must have been on meds or something! LOL

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tried recgroupsinball yet? Post your question there if none of the suggestions here work.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Try the repair guide at pinwiki:

Gottlieb System 1 - PinWiki
    Carbon Arc---the light that's bright is the light that's right!

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Ken Layton