Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sanyo comet II

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: sanyo comet II

Hello again!!

One of our members (mudfud) very kindly compiled a useful list / summary of threads that are of interest to anyone restoring a Vintage Pachinko

If you scroll down that post you will find links to threads and videos about 'Wiring and Electrical'

a summary of vintage info. threads, thru 1/2010

Hopefully one of those will give you the info you require

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello there,
    Thanks for all that info wow. It did not have the info I needed though about my ?'s about the wiring not sure why. Maybe mine is more messed up then I thought tired nwo
    Save

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by david crevenston View Post
    Hello there,
    Can someone please advise me on what size wire to use when hooking up the lights? I am using 18 Gauge what is too big or small of a size to use? Does it matter? I am asking because I hooked up 9 V and I am not getting any power not sure why perhaps wire size or something please advise me thanks Dave
    wire size is not your problem.. when i buy the 9 volt plugs for hooking up lighs the wires are really small.. the original wires for a pachinko are bigger and any time i replace wires on a pachinko i use slightly larger wire then original..

just keep this in mind..

power needs a circuit or a loop... use the leaf switch as the on off..

power from the battery to the lief switch.. then from the other side of the lief switch to the bulb from the other side of the bulb back to the battery.. thats your loop / circuit..

if you know you have a perfict loop then check the contacts on the lief switch.. they get corroded and dirty and will not make good contacts.. and of course yout bulb is not burnt out

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello there,
    Okay finally got the pictures for you guys just click the link in here to view all 3 of my vintage machines too many pictures to insert in here hence why I put them to the link for easier viewing for YOU
    Okay now onto ?'s for you guys particularly Moparparformances here goes...
    Does anyone here have a wiring diagram for the model A or a picture? I got the 1 light to work (thanks to moparformances directions thanks) however I can't get/wire the jackpot light to work. I am sure it is quite easy but for some reasons I can’t get it correct so I need some help. Perhaps someone could explain it to me in Simple terms as I am not good with electronics well not this sort anyway.
    Take a look at my cool stand/custom legs I made on this pachinko. It was a lot of work but it is a lot better & more sturdier then the small feet on my other machines. Well let me know what you think of my machines and the custom stand I made.
    NOTE: The pictures inserted in this email are for you to look at the STAND Custom Leg apparatus I made not the machine you can see the machine @ my link below along with 2 other machines.
    Dave
    http://mymanytravels.shutterfly.com/8134

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    wire size is not your problem.. when i buy the 9 volt plugs for hooking up lighs the wires are really small.. the original wires for a pachinko are bigger and any time i replace wires on a pachinko i use slightly larger wire then original..

just keep this in mind..

power needs a circuit or a loop... use the leaf switch as the on off..

power from the battery to the lief switch.. then from the other side of the lief switch to the bulb from the other side of the bulb back to the battery.. thats your loop / circuit..

if you know you have a perfict loop then check the contacts on the lief switch.. they get corroded and dirty and will not make good contacts.. and of course yout bulb is not burnt out

Attached Images Attached Images

6. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to david crevenston

Thanks
    Thanks Received

can ya post some current close up pictures of the back of your Model "A" machine

trying to get detail pics of your wires... like a close up pic of the upper right section then a close up of the upper left then mid left where the leif switch is..

your pic off site are not big enough to see any real details
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello there,
    Okay I will take some more this week and insert them to you thanks for your help. 1 other ? I have is how do I make a transformer where I can plug into the wall outlet instead of using so many 9 volt batteries please advise me thanks.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    can ya post some current close up pictures of the back of your Model "A" machine

trying to get detail pics of your wires... like a close up pic of the upper right section then a close up of the upper left then mid left where the leif switch is..

your pic off site are not big enough to see any real details

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey David,

Let's see if I can help you out. First... let's talk about basic electric flow that will help you troubleshoot your problem. Think of electricity like water in a water hose and the battery as a water pump. The pump (battery/power supply) pushes the electricity from the positive (+) side through the hose (wire) to the negative (-) side to feed back into the pump (battery). It will only flow IF there is a full loop (circuit) from the positive side to the negative side. Somewhere in the middle of this loop you can add things like a light or motor so that when the electricity runs through it on it's way from the + side to the - side it does some work (gives off light, turns the motor, etc). Hopefully you can the analogy here (and hopefully I spelled that right).

Now let's talk about your specific situation. I think I know what is going on since you say the hopper empty light works but not the jackpot light. There are 3 connection points on your machine. Look closely and you'll see that one of them goes to one end of the fuse holder right at the point of connection. THAT ONE is the positive side of the circuit so you can go ahead and hook it up and know that one is right.

Now to figure out the other two connections function. One of these connections is the negative connection point and the other was used for a ground signal (switched negative connection) to be sent to the operators board. To decipher which is which, well... one will work both lights and the other will not. So, trial and error can be your friend here by way of design. Hook the ground wire to one of the remaining connection points and then 'squeeze' the leaf switches (or activate the switch) for both the jackpot and the hopper empty. If only the hopper empty light works... your negative wire is connected to the operator signal connector so you'll need to move it to the other connection point. If both switches activate lights, your connected correctly.

Now... a few caveats to this. If your light bulbs are burned out, If there is corrosion or dirt in the lamp socket, if the contact points on the switch is dirty, if wire it broken, if the lamp isn't screwed in all the way, etc. All of these could cause the lamp not to light. So if your still having trouble, check the lamp and socket to insure all is good there.

Hopefully the 'water way of thinking' can help you decipher the wiring and along with the test procedure above get the connections right. I would suggest you that invest a small amount of money (<$20) for a digital multi-meter that can be found at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack or your local hardware store (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). This little meter is great for solving a huge array of problem with one simple function, the ohm meter function. The ohm meter is uses to measure resistance in a circuit. A straight wire should have a resistance value of 0. Run it through a light and the meter won't read 0 anymore (if it's set to sensitive enough). Checking to see if the there is 0 resistance in a circuit is called a continuity test. So, you can put one of the probes on one side of a component (wire, switch, light, fuse, etc.) and the other probe on the opposite side and if there is continuity you know that electricity can flow through that component. Because the voltages and amps are low from the multi-meter, you will not damange the components as you check things with it.

Ok.. probably more than you wanted to know and maybe I simplified it more than necessary... but hopefully this little rant will prove usefull to you or someone else.
    Okay I will take some more this week and insert them to you thanks for your help. 1 other ? I have is how do I make a transformer where I can plug into the wall outlet instead of using so many 9 volt batteries please advise me thanks.
    Dave

No need to make one... just find one of those little 'wall warts' that we all through away once the cheap electronic device stopped working. If you look at any of these devices you will see that the input and output voltages and connection configuration (- and +) are printed on it. Any 9v or 10v wall wart will work. AC or DC does not matter as the only components you have a lights and switches... neither of which care about type (AC or DC). I usually find one and then cut the connetion end off and use my volt meter on the digital multi-meter to determine the positive side so I can connect it directly to the machine.

Good luck and keep plugging at it. The first machine is frustrating but fun. The second machine will be less frustrating and more fun. The third is simple and exciting. The forth is done with ease and then you'll be posting advice... and OMG you realize you are addicted!

Welcome to the club!
    Last edited by wrkey; 04-27-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Rusty Key

10. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What the hell is a "'wall warts' don't understand?
    A lot of info thanks very much for your analogy it did help a lot. I did get a dmm meter and just started to use it not sure if I am doing it right. I read the directions and have been following that. I am still confused though about the switch operator (non active) contact I will have to try the test you said.

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post
    Hey David,

Let's see if I can help you out. First... let's talk about basic electric flow that will help you troubleshoot your problem. Think of electricity like water in a water hose and the battery as a water pump. The pump (battery/power supply) pushes the electricity from the positive (+) side through the hose (wire) to the negative (-) side to feed back into the pump (battery). It will only flow IF there is a full loop (circuit) from the positive side to the negative side. Somewhere in the middle of this loop you can add things like a light or motor so that when the electricity runs through it on it's way from the + side to the - side it does some work (gives off light, turns the motor, etc). Hopefully you can the analogy here (and hopefully I spelled that right).

Now let's talk about your specific situation. I think I know what is going on since you say the hopper empty light works but not the jackpot light. There are 3 connection points on your machine. Look closely and you'll see that one of them goes to one end of the fuse holder right at the point of connection. THAT ONE is the positive side of the circuit so you can go ahead and hook it up and know that one is right.

Now to figure out the other two connections function. One of these connections is the negative connection point and the other was used for a ground signal (switched negative connection) to be sent to the operators board. To decipher which is which, well... one will work both lights and the other will not. So, trial and error can be your friend here by way of design. Hook the ground wire to one of the remaining connection points and then 'squeeze' the leaf switches (or activate the switch) for both the jackpot and the hopper empty. If only the hopper empty light works... your negative wire is connected to the operator signal connector so you'll need to move it to the other connection point. If both switches activate lights, your connected correctly.

Now... a few caveats to this. If your light bulbs are burned out, If there is corrosion or dirt in the lamp socket, if the contact points on the switch is dirty, if wire it broken, if the lamp isn't screwed in all the way, etc. All of these could cause the lamp not to light. So if your still having trouble, check the lamp and socket to insure all is good there.

Hopefully the 'water way of thinking' can help you decipher the wiring and along with the test procedure above get the connections right. I would suggest you that invest a small amount of money (<$20) for a digital multi-meter that can be found at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack or your local hardware store (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). This little meter is great for solving a huge array of problem with one simple function, the ohm meter function. The ohm meter is uses to measure resistance in a circuit. A straight wire should have a resistance value of 0. Run it through a light and the meter won't read 0 anymore (if it's set to sensitive enough). Checking to see if the there is 0 resistance in a circuit is called a continuity test. So, you can put one of the probes on one side of a component (wire, switch, light, fuse, etc.) and the other probe on the opposite side and if there is continuity you know that electricity can flow through that component. Because the voltages and amps are low from the multi-meter, you will not damange the components as you check things with it.

Ok.. probably more than you wanted to know and maybe I simplified it more than necessary... but hopefully this little rant will prove usefull to you or someone else.

No need to make one... just find one of those little 'wall warts' that we all through away once the cheap electronic device stopped working. If you look at any of these devices you will see that the input and output voltages and connection configuration (- and +) are printed on it. Any 9v or 10v wall wart will work. AC or DC does not matter as the only components you have a lights and switches... neither of which care about type (AC or DC). I usually find one and then cut the connetion end off and use my volt meter on the digital multi-meter to determine the positive side so I can connect it directly to the machine.

Good luck and keep plugging at it. The first machine is frustrating but fun. The second machine will be less frustrating and more fun. The third is simple and exciting. The forth is done with ease and then you'll be posting advice... and OMG you realize you are addicted!

Welcome to the club!
    Last edited by david crevenston; 04-27-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by david crevenston View Post
    What the hell is a "'wall warts' don't understand?.
    Don't worry, it's not a term I am familiar with over here either, but they have been mentioned a few times in posts, here's a link which may help,

New and in search of help.
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

13. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wall wart

aaa wall wart.jpg

i find them all the time at my local swap meet..

look for one that rate at 9 volt to 12 volt... ya can use a 12 volt one with out much problem... it will make your bulbs burn a litle brighter.. it will also make your bulbs burn out a little faster but i like the nice bright bulbs...

if your worried aobut the extra volts ya can buy 12 volt bulbs to swap them out... bulbs are easier to get then a wall wart sometimes

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

should have post with pic

u can see as rusty posted i cut the ends off of mine but i stagered the lead lenghts.. this way i dont have to worry about the to leads touching and shorting out..

ya ya i know if i were to take the time to unplug it befor i unhook it from the pachinko then there is no risk.. but while im trouble shooting its easier to just unhook it rather then unplug it..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW,
    There is so much you guys say I don't know about either you guys get around or I need to get out more. I have no idea what a "local swap meet.." is. I have never heard or seen the thing in the picture in my life. I can tell you they are forbidden in my area people would go nuts if you could buy that because kids would get it and play with it probably why I have not seen it in my area. PEOPLE are stupid one way around here not friendly and very pseudo, fake, and guarded. I can see why the suicide rate is so high in my area. I wish I could move but this is my place for now. I have traveled a lot to almost every state and miss the friendly people in other states I don't have that here. So I keep to myself and don't go out much. Well I think there is a army/navy store I will check with them if anyone will know it will be those guys.
    Dave

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if a wall wart is so elusive in your area shoot me a private message and i can send ya one.. i think i have 4 or 5 kicking around

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2