Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arepachi Project

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Arepachi Project

Update from part of an email from engineer:
    "FYI - got a bunch more parts in yesterday for the machine...have been putting on connectors today. Preliminary schematics should be done some time next week".
    I'll post the schematics on the forum for those interested. If I can't for some reason then I'll email them to anyone interested.
    Also figured out what machine the instructions on my machine actually go to. It has the same basic appearance, colors, etc. But it has the LED display referred to in my instructions as well as different features. I still don't know how those instructions got on my machine-it hasn't been altered in any way so who knows as in some sort of conversion (as far as I can tell).. Here are a few small pics to illustrate what I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is it the same frame as yours..could cells be switched in this frame?? Interesting

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep it's the same frame. I wouldn't switch frames out now though since mine is being rebuilt. I couldn't though for a couple of reasons. One is these frames and cells are not made to be separated and these machines are very hard to find. And finding one with same color and style would be even more difficult.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My engineer just completed the schematics and all the wire harness diagrams for this machine. It's about 6 or so files so if anyone wants them just PM me with your email addy.

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is a very colorful arapachi! you are really putting alot of effort making hardware and software for this machine.
    I hope you have it working soon and can post a video of it in operation.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

10. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. Yep to completely develop the program new software and the hardware required takes some time. The guy soon all this for me told me it will take about 14 weeks total. All I have to do is wait and of course pay for it. As of eight now he is finalizing all the hardware and the next step is to iron out the gamplay details. Then program the hardware and do all the testing. I will definitely post plenty of pics and some vids when the time comes!

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like the lower 'skirt' is missing from this machine, or did you only photograph it with the glass door open?
    I never knew these were missing until I worked with Lteddy.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep it's missing the skirt. I sent you a PM about creating a couple of these covers for this Taiyo and a Satomi. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think this would be another fun project, I am looking forward to working on it. I really do like the colors in it.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

16. The following user says "Thanks" to slothappy144

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks! Email with all the info is headed your way.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Updated rules for game play/modes.
    Mode 1

1. Ball in tulip pocket lights up both numbers on that pocket. Also, the other tulip on that side opens as well.
    2. Ball in top center "service pass-thru" initiates bonus mode so that player has five seconds to choose from
    the A,B,C,D buttons. When player presses one of those buttons, the corresponding tulip pocket opens. "Select" light
    above these pockets is lit for these 5 seconds. Also, a token is paid out
    immediately when ball goes into this pass-thru.
    3. Payouts are columns (1), rows (2), center four (3), diagonals (1), and four corners (2).
    4. Ball in "CD open" pocket opens C and D pockets but no others AND pays out 1 token immediately.

Mode 2

1. Ball in top center "service pass-thru" activates "ball drop" solenoid to allow player
    to replay any balls that have been played while in the same game. Also a token is immediately paid out when a ball enters this pass thru.
    2. Ball in other tulips are same as above EXCEPT no other pocket opens.
    3. Payouts are same as above for columns, rows, center four, and diagonals. In addition to those, the four corners lit will pay (1), and when all outside lights
    minus the four corners-2,3,5,8,9,12,14, and 15 are lit, a payout of (2) is awarded.
    4. Ball in "CD Open" pocket is same as in Mode 1 but does NOT pay out a token.

If the bonus is activated in Mode 2 then balls in any pockets would fall into shooter area but would also extinguish any lights on the matrix. I assume this can be remedied in the software. These rules are the latest I have come up with. I'd like to have two modes of gameplay for variety and since the instructions on the machine don't match the hardware present, keeping it original as was planned is impossible. The engineer is still working on the hardware so these ideas haven't been submitted yet. Actual programming is scheduled for mid may.
    Last edited by emmadog; 04-24-2010 at 01:55 PM.

19. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is such a cool project!!

Do you think you'll try to make a new rules card for the machine with your rules on it??

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

21. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. It's been an interesting project. Disappointment at first with an incomplete machine. The phone calls and quite a few emails took some time to find someone willing and capable of taking this project on. I initially thought removing the boards from my working Satomi and having them reverse engineered would be a good starting point for a potential programmer to work with. So I took them off, took lots of pics and sent those out. The quote I received from two places was around $4000! And that was before any work on the machine had even been started. So I was then referred to a guy from one of those companies and that's who has it now. The plan of attack was to first clean and test all existing components-solenoids, micro switches, etc. Then the time consuming task of mapping all the wires to their corresponding parts and the remaining two circuit boards. Next was determining the correct microchips and controllers.Last things to be done are programming and lastly, testing. He of course had never heard of pachinkos but was intrigued by this project. The only issue was the time line-about 14 weeks to completion. An agreement was made and out the machine went.
    I will leave the existing card there to maintain the overall original appearance. Also, I don't think I could put all of those instructions in a legible enough font size, on that size card. Especially if the machine ends up with both play modes.

23. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For clarification and those interested in this process:
    there are basically two ways to go about this. One is to actually mMs replicas f the missing boards using the same components and where applicable, to use modern parts. The advantage is that the parts are "hardwired" so to speak to do their job and since no software is used then there are no issues with bugs or software problems. The disadvantage is the design work and sheer amount if time it takes to make these boards particularly when there are no old boards for reference. The cost is significant as well. The other method is to use programmable chips/ microcontrollers and is the method I chose. These chips are running the software that controls the game. Advantage is having programmable chips so game parameters can easily be changed. Disadvantage is potential software glitches but that's true for anything from your coffee maker to your car. So to me it was the way to go. This project either using either method was and is a very expensive restoration. It wasn't as if the machine was complete but not working and all that needed to be done was some
    troubleshooting. There were no schematics from which to start And all wire harnesses were cut to include the 3 large ones at the top and the other end of those where they came together and went into the power supply/ coin mech. In addition to random wires here and there. Plus the game instructions did not match with the hardware present. So everything had to be gone through, mapped, and tested. Then the correct the hardware selection, programming, and lots of testing. So in the end it's not the parts that cost, it's paying for someone time and their expertise.

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry about the typos and misspells in this and earlier posts. Grammatical and spelling errors are a pet peeve of mine but I post on here quite a bit through my iphone and then there's that whole ten minute edit time limit. Anyway, anyone can PM me if they want more ramblings about the details on this arrange ball.

27. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

don't worry about the typos, if we worried about them around here there would only be two or three posts a day.
    the

LLTR

29. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the latest from the guru concerning this machine. It's some pics of the new power supply, a new speaker, and the new circuit board. Very cool indeed-makes me wish I had those kind of skills. Won't be much longer now till it's finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

31. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, after a long wait of almost 4 months and a few dollars spent, this machine is now only a couple of hours away in a UPS warehouse. Scheduled to be here tomorrow barring any issues and I'll post pics and a vid or two by the evening.

33. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Should last for YEARS and YEARS! It looks like an amazing job!
    Enjoy it!
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

35. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The good ole UPS guy came through again and dropped the machine off. This is the third or fourth machine that the shipper has had UPS pack for them and they do an outstanding job. I'm uploading some youtube vids now. The machine still has one of the spinners removed as well as all the lower front plastics. I did this to minimize potential damage during shipping but also the machine is going to be broken down and refurbished. The whole repainting of plastic parts, polishing, likely a new copy of the cell, mylar, etc. Sorry about the lighting in the low budget videos!

37. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast