Thread: "Space Shuttle" or "Elvira and the Party Monsters?"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question "Space Shuttle" or "Elvira and the Party Monsters?"

I've never owned a pinball machine before, but I have wanted one for quite some time. After emailing back and forth with a few sellers, I think that I've narrowed my choices down to these two machines. I've researched them a bit, including reading all of the reviews on The Internet Pinball Machine Database for each... I've watched YouTube videos... I've talked to friends that have played one or the other (none of my friends remember playing both). But, before buying, I still needed to come to PT and ask the question:

"Which one do you think is more fun?"

I understand that it's kind of a noob question, and that I can only get subjective answers. Nevertheless, it's still a question that can only be answered by those who have played both games (I haven't played either, except "Space Shuttle" in the Williams Greatest Hits collection for the Xbox 360).

Actually, I originally wanted to buy a Simpson's Pinball Party game. But, even used, they seem to be priced well above what I'm budgeting for my very first machine. I think that you can experience that same kind of "sticker-shock" with Twilight Zone, Addam's Family, or most of machines that consistently rank in the top twenty (if you can even find a used one for sale)! So, I think I'll start with a less-expensive first game -- and possibly add/trade-up later when I have more experience in owning & maintaining one. After negotiating a bit, each seller has independently agreed to the same price -- so unless you perceive a huge difference in their inherent value, I'm not using price to help me decide between the two.

Anyway, if you have experience with both of these machines, I would love to hear your opinion on which one you prefer! And if you think that you wouldn't want either, that's fine too (but please let me know why).

As always, thanks for any advice and guidance you may provide!

~ Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: "Space Shuttle" or "Elvira and the Party Monsters?"

I would think Elvria would have a better resale base and hold its value more.

and from videos i've seem on youtube, a lot of fun
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

3. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've played Space Shuttle a few times and liked it, but I absolutely love my Elvira & the Party Monsters and it's one of the few games that will only leave my collection via my last will and testament.

Neither game has a deep enough rule set to give a really hard challenge to an experienced player, so for me it's not a matter of how difficult or worthwhile the end goal is, but how much fun it is to get there, and in my opinion Elvira is the one that is more enjoyable to play.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

OMG...Get Elvira!! It is one of my all time favorites...I've only ever played Space Shuttle on pinMame...But OMG GET ELVIRA!!

That probably wasn't much help...but OMG Evira Elvira Elvira!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

elvira
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

9. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For me, its Elvira.

my 2 cents,
    Fixx
    FOUND: Dirty Pair Pachinko.. Thanks Compirate and Arby!

11. The following user says "Thanks" to mr. fixx

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

im with dave rob not so much a fan of space shuttle not a fan of elvira herself but to like the pin andf its rule set also the resale value is in elvira and not so much in the space shuttle (going on uk market)
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

13. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sounds like Elvira won everyones votes

15. The following user says "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Go withy Elvira.
    Half as many machines produced and twice the value of Space Shuttle.The resale value with also far outweigh SS.
    Jeff
    ...it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice....

17. The following user says "Thanks" to JMSVERO

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Black Knight 2000! Oh wait, that's what I own? Sorry - Elvira is your best value. I enjoy anything with space or futuristic themes (I too have the SS game in the Wii platform)but "older" themes and well know names resale better. There is a pinball "bluebook" that lists machines and there current value price. You might have already researched this?
    Good luck with either.
    Who knew a small chrome ball would be so much fun !
    Vintage pachinko, Bond 007(Pachislo),Bond 007, Star Wars Pachinko,Top Gun Pachinko,Williams BLACK KNIGHT 2000 pinball, Dick Clark's New Year's Eve slot

19. The following user says "Thanks" to slotsoffun

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I always wanted Elvira and the Party Monsters, but with my large collection and space at a premium, I opted for, what I believe, the game's sequil, Scared Stiff. However, EATPM, is a good game and I believe is superior to Space Shuttle. However Both are good pins. Buy it and enjoy, Fixx
    FOUND: Dirty Pair Pachinko.. Thanks Compirate and Arby!

21. The following user says "Thanks" to mr. fixx

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: "Space Shuttle" or "Elvira and the Party Monsters?"

She's here.

And she brought the Party Monsters with her!

Actually, she's been here since last Saturday. I know, I know! I should have posted immediately. But, work and life have been quite busy lately (blah, blah, blah), and during the limited time that I could have written about Elvira -- I was playing with Elvira!

I gotta say that Saturday was a really good day. After arranging a time with the seller, I picked up my good friend Mick and we headed off to check out the machine. Mick has a lot more experience with pins than I do -- having owned a bunch over the years and 7 or 8 of them at a time. I wanted him to go with me because of his knowledge. And, of course, because I wasn't about to get myself stuck moving a heavy pinball machine down several flights of stairs all by myself! Anyway, even though he was eager to help, I made sure to stop at a Winking Lizard (bar/restaurant) on the way back and treat Mick and myself to a healthy working lunch (steak, chicken wings, beer) so we would have proper nutrition for the remainder of the trip. And, I even had the chance to reward him with the bottle of vodka that was originally supposed to be his Christmas gift. You know that sometimes it's good to bribe friends -- so you can call on them again the next time!

I did go purchase a dolly just for the occasion. One of those hand-trucks that have belt rollers on the back to make stairs a lot easier. And YES, it was worth every penny! We got the machine loaded and moved without any real problems -- in fact, it was way easier than I expected!

Elvira is in great shape. Almost no playfield wear, and no wear at all on the backglass. But, being OCD as I am, I've already purchased two 64 ounch bottles of Novus cleaner (both #1 and #2) and a couple other cleaning products made expressly for pinball machines. And, I ordered a whole bunch of replacement bulbs, a couple new plastics, and a total rubber replacement kit... oh yes, and some new "boogie men." Because even though Elvira looks real good -- I still want her to look and play her very best. There WILL be guests, you know.

Another big "Thank You" to everyone for all of your comments and recommendations -- PachiTalk and it's members are an awesome resource!

Anyway, it's finally Friday; friends are coming over, and the gameroom has a lovely new resident! And, if you listen carefully, you can even hear Elvira beckoning me to play:

"Let's Party!"

Oh yes -- it's going to be a good weekend.

23. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to SpinCycle

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Excellent! I'm glad you got the pin moved and installed without any troubles! It is a really nice machine and I have had the pleasure of playing it many many times. Hope she doesn't give you any trouble!

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Compy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice purchase. Now if you can find a great bargin on a "scared stiff" you would have more Elvira than you can stand. Her voice gets annoying after awhile though, IE she says "leave it alone!" too much.
    I don't own either of these but play SS when we take the quilts and comforters to the local laundromat and use the huge washing machines.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats. I would have also said Elvira if I would have got to you before your purchase.

I have no room for another pin but I WOULD find room if I ran across a nice EATPM. Every one I have seen for sale have either been to expensive or in bad condition. I have seen way to many bad "custom" touchup jobs on Elvira in between the flippers.

Probably one of my top 5 favorite pins of all time...defiantly top 10. I love the sound effects and to be honest the only criticism I have against the machine is I never liked the displays being side by side. I'm not really sure why...it just never looked right to me. I also liked Scared Stiff and I have a feeling if I ever do get an EATPM...a SS will be close behind.

Enjoy. PARTY! Awwoohh Wooo.