Thread: Kenrimono for the EARS!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Kenrimono for the EARS!

Are you looking to escape the cacophony of the noisy pachinko parlor, and instead spend some quality time relaxing to the soothing sounds of music? If so, then keep looking -- because this is probably not the recording you're looking for!

I discovered this recently-released album, titled "Kenrimono" while searching/researching information about my newly-acquired Kenrimono pachinko (Don Quijote by Toyotec). The music is from a band named ILIOS and is published on the Pan label.

The write-up for the album explains the pachinko connection:

"This LP is entirely based on field recordings and manipulations made from sounds in pachinko parlors in Kansai area, Japan in 2007. A very intense and meditative atmosphere to be played at maximum volume."

Yes, they said LP. This 2009 release is only available in a limited edition of 330 hand-numbered copies -- on vinyl. [SpinCycle looks around nervously, hoping that he's not the only one who remembers and still owns some vinyl Elpees ]. I know that there is a significant group of audiophiles that still prefer the "warmth" of vinyl analog recordings to the "cold/sterile/unnatural/etc." sounds of digital. But in this particular case, I view the choice of only pressing this 2009 music into vinyl as a perfect fit for the quirkiness of the concept (the music concept -- because pachinko itself could never be quirky, right?).

Here's one link to more information that also offers a couple samples of the music, so you can just click, listen, and relax (see the two buttons on the far right of the webpage, under 'Sample'):

I've also attached pics of the album cover and insert artwork below. A special note to the kids: The third image below shows a vinyl LP -- it's the flat, round, black disc in the upper left corner of the photograph. Making it play music is complicated, but you can ask Mom and Dad -- or any random person who has never ever "Twittered."

I've listened to both samples, and I gotta say -- I kind of like it! I think it would be fun to play this music in the game room to create the proper ambiance during a pachi-party -- or if your pachi place at home just isn't quite noisy enough yet!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to SpinCycle

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Kenrimono for the EARS!

I kinda found the sounds monotonous, like white noise. do people really buy something like this for $30? and on vinyl? I would have to dig out my turntable, receiver, speakers and tape deck to listen to this... why don't they sell it on mp3?
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are several PT members that prefer vinyl..so don't be afraid to talk about it!!

98% of music I buy is on vinyl...99% of new current music I buy is on vinyl, and have for almost 20 years after I gave up CDs ..its a LOT easier to find new music on vinyl now than it was in the 90s..I mean best buy and frys carry records now..Most new albums are available on vinyl...and only $10-$20..

As for this weird pachi record, the price seems about right for what it is..limited and all..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We LOVE vinyl records!!

I just need to get myself a nice new turntable this year...

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't buy music cd's

I do have a lot of older vinyl 45's and lp's
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My neighbor is to phonographs what Compirate is to Pachinkos!! His home is a museum of vintage and antique phonographs dating from the late 1800's all the way up to the 1960's. He collects and restores them like we do to Pachi's. He has a collection of over 10,000 vinyl, ceramic and even hard wax records in his collection. He even has original advertisements for most of his phonographs that he clipped from old National Geographic magazines and then framed. It's quite a site to see.

While he doesn't buy any new music on vinyl, he still collects older records to play on his antiques. He also belongs to a Phonograph club that meets once a month to help each other out with restoration issues and finding replacment parts.
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 01-09-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

9. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4