Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Volume Control - A How To Guide

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Volume Control - A How To Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jestock View Post
    I'm not sure about the one DrDark used, but I used the following one:
    1K-Ohm 15-Turn PC-Mount Cermet Potentiometer/Trimmer - RadioShack.com

The specs on this one are 1K-ohm and it has a very good range of adjustment for a single speaker. The downside is that it is small and requires a small screwdriver to adjust (or long fingernails with a lot of patience). I figured that since I wouldn't be adjusting the volume that much it would be easier to go with this style and place it in the cabinet next to the speaker and adjust as necessary. If you go this route, connect your lead-in wire to the center post and another wire from either side to the speaker. Counter-clockwise increases the volume and clockwise decreases it, depending on which outside post you use (I was too lazy to switch it and re-solder at this point).
    thanks for this info!

heading to radio shack (ugh) today.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On a Star Wars Machine find a white 40 pin connector on the back marked CN2 of the board with the volume control. Pin 40 is Right speaker +, pin 38 right speaker - , pin 36 Left speaker - , pin 34 Left speaker +. I used a stereo volume control instead of a potentiometer its worth the extra $ IMHO.
    notice

Notice

Warning: Author of this post has delusions of being mentally competent.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but i'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After a couple of false starts and fried potentiometers, 2 watt, 250 ohm potentiometers seem to be working well for me on my overly-loud CR Galaxy Railways. To test, I ran them good and long and through a fever, about 30-45 minutes, and no undue flames, smoke, smells, or heat ensued.

I even went the extra mile and bought the necessary molex connectors so that I could do this mod without cutting wires in the machine - I just unplug the speakers from the circuit board and plug in my volume control mod.
    Last edited by DukeOfDelmar; 11-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For those who are inexperienced with electrical work (like me), there are even easier ways to install volume controls. I purchased an awesome little kit for $9 (included shipping) on eBay. It is a single knob that controls both speakers. No soldering was needed.

Check it out. It's a buy it now deal so you don't have to bother with bidding or wait for any auction to end.
    Link: Pachislo Slot Machine Dual Volume Control Knob Kit Skill Stop New | eBay
    Seller: leighman8
    Title: PACHISLO SLOT MACHINE DUAL VOLUME CONTROL KNOB KIT, SKILL STOP

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to RomeoFuqua

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RomeoFuqua View Post
    For those who are inexperienced with electrical work (like me), there are even easier ways to install volume controls. I purchased an awesome little kit for $9 (included shipping) on eBay. It is a single knob that controls both speakers. No soldering was needed.

Check it out. It's a buy it now deal so you don't have to bother with bidding or wait for any auction to end.
    Link: Pachislo Slot Machine Dual Volume Control Knob Kit Skill Stop New | eBay
    Seller: leighman8
    Title: PACHISLO SLOT MACHINE DUAL VOLUME CONTROL KNOB KIT, SKILL STOP
    The item description specifies Pachislo, but these should work on a Pachinko machine as well, right? I've got an Enter the Matrix Pachinko with 4 speakers that I've been thinking about installing a volume control for, but have been hesitant in doing so since I too am very electrically challenged. It might take me ages just to figure out which wires are the speaker wires!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are actually 5 speakers on the Matrix Pachinko D-Solid frame, 2 upper, 3 lower. I have some pictures on which plug the speaker wires need to be patched into. I'll dig around, and post them here when I find them.
    I've never met a Pachi I didn't like

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jmaclerran

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are correct. The auction does list Pachislo, but they DO work perfectly on Pachinko machines as well.
    It is actually very easy to install and you don't have to strip any wires, or solder anything.

In the pictures on eBay you'll see what looks like orange circles holding the wires. These are awesome little plastic tabs. You slide in one of the speaker wires, and one of the volume wires - then just squeeze the orange button. The tab clamps the two wires and connects them with a small metal bracket (while also releasing a goo that prevents rusting).

The kit comes with extra parts and also instructions. But, if you get confused on the install, swing by here and ask for help. I can guide you through it.

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to RomeoFuqua

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jmaclerran View Post
    There are actually 5 speakers on the Matrix Pachinko D-Solid frame, 2 upper, 3 lower. I have some pictures on which plug the speaker wires need to be patched into. I'll dig around, and post them here when I find them.
    Thanks! They'll definitely be helpful! I don't really see where the third speaker is on the bottom, must be pretty hidden or I'm just being stupid and not seeing it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RomeoFuqua View Post
    You are correct. The auction does list Pachislo, but they DO work perfectly on Pachinko machines as well.
    It is actually very easy to install and you don't have to strip any wires, or solder anything.

In the pictures on eBay you'll see what looks like orange circles holding the wires. These are awesome little plastic tabs. You slide in one of the speaker wires, and one of the volume wires - then just squeeze the orange button. The tab clamps the two wires and connects them with a small metal bracket (while also releasing a goo that prevents rusting).

The kit comes with extra parts and also instructions. But, if you get confused on the install, swing by here and ask for help. I can guide you through it.
    Thanks! I think I'll give this a try.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Instructions for mounting volume controls on the Daiichi D-Solid Frame. Used for the Matrix, Tom & Jerry, Superman I cells.

The area of the machine you are interested in is the back lower right corner.
    The wire plug you want to locate is a 30 pin plug just above and to the right of the power (on/off) switch.

Matrix Speaker1.jpgMatrix Speaker2.jpgMatrix Speaker3 .jpg
    Once you have located the 30 pin plug unplug it, as this gives you more room to work with your volume controls, and whatever method you choose to use to install your controls (i.e crimp, solder).
    Locate the black wire on the plug, there is only one, and this will be called Pin 1. (Do nothing with this wire).

Locate the following wires Pins 2 thru Pins 6. These wires control the volume controls for the upper speakers Pins 2, and 3, and the lower speakers Pins 4, 5, 6.

Matrix Speaker 6wire out.jpg
    Cut the wires one at a time about 2 ½ to 3 inches from the plug. Leave enough room to work with the tools you will need to wire in you volume controls.
    Then insert you volume control(s). You will need 5 single pole controls, or 2 double pole controls, and a single pole control to complete the task.

I you wish to use the double pole on the upper, or lower speakers, make sure you have the correct leads for the Upper Right/Left, and Lower Right/Left, then use a single pole on the lower Center speaker.
    I've never met a Pachi I didn't like

14. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to jmaclerran

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yay! I can proudly say that after following the advice here I was able to successfully install the volume controls on my Matrix machine. Now I can play it without worrying about going deaf or waking the dead.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to dragonmastr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Does anyone know where the factory volume controls are on the jurassic park max machine? Please help!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry for bumping a really old thread but I just went to my local Radio Shack and purchase this: https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717293381

But I'm not sure how to wire it up. There are eight places to put wires on this bad boy and everything I've read so far indicates that you only put one wire from each speaker on the control so that would only be four spots total. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheArcade View Post
    Sorry for bumping a really old thread but I just went to my local Radio Shack and purchase this: https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717293381

But I'm not sure how to wire it up. There are eight places to put wires on this bad boy and everything I've read so far indicates that you only put one wire from each speaker on the control so that would only be four spots total. Any ideas?
    sorry im not the guy to answer your questions.. i have used other controls.. but not this style

but wanted to say

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wekcome to pachitalk! There should be a schematic...or some sort of wiring diagram that came with it, or on the box. Post a pic of that, and it will make sense. Typically you cut one wire (I usually use + one, but I don't think it matters) and attach the cut wire coming from the amp to the center post (on the side with 3 terminals). Then attach the wire from the speaker to one of the outside terminals. One of the outside terminals will make it get louder when rotating clockwise, the other outside terminal will make it get louder when rotating counterclockwise. It don't matter which one you choose, one way "feels"backwards, but still works fine. Do one speaker on the top pot, and the other speaker on the bottom pot. Just make sure you use the same side for both speakers. If not...one speaker gets louder as the other speaker gets quieter. In that case, you wired in a balance control.
    Not sure what the extra terminal on the other side of each pot is...40% loudness tap? Not sure what that means. Maybe it drops the volume by 40% while still allowing adjustment.
    Once again, the schematic that comes with it is your friend!

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Mopar and Pachiwall!

I ended up finding this thread that explained how to connect the controls: http://www.pachislodb.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5822

I think something may be off about my setup because it basically goes from full volume to mute but with a tiny, tiny window in between the two of a half full volume setting. I managed to get the two speakers up top and the sub below to that half setting and now the machine is bearable. It's not a perfect fix but it works for what I want it to do at least.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Mopar and Pachiwall!

I ended up finding this thread that explained how to connect the controls: http://www.pachislodb.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5822

I think something may be off about my setup because it basically goes from full volume to mute but with a tiny, tiny window in between the two of a half full volume setting. I managed to get the two speakers up top and the sub below to that half setting and now the machine is bearable. It's not a perfect fix but it works for what I want it to do at least.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
    glad to see ya got it working...

if your not totaly happy i have used these for a few years now.. love them... there supper small and easy (for me ) to install.. they do require solder.. one for each speaker..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volume-Con...giPMdEtO_UVPYQ

pluss the seller is a member hear
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think something may be off about my setup because it basically goes from full volume to mute but with a tiny, tiny window in between the two of a half full volume setting.
    Unfortunately, all potentiometers are not created the same and the ones you purchased will not work correctly.

You will need a potentiometer that is 500 ohm and linear taper. http://www.parts-express.com/500-ohm...shaft--023-500
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi,

Does somebody, by any change, have a picture for a macross frontier machine?
    I would like to attach the volume controls in a similar way as the matrix machine which was described a few posts back.
    It would be a pain to dismantle the machine to get close to the speakers themselves...
    Or is there any easy way to pinpoint or measure the wires on the back to find the correct ones?

I believe the macross frame is called a vtrigger frame.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Give me abit. I'll see if I can get you a closeup of the wire splices on my machine. Gotta move stuff around to get to it.

29. The following user says "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That would be Great!
    It will save me quite some time, instead of inventing the wheel again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast