Thread: Volume Control - A How To Guide

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Volume Control - A How To Guide

I needed to install a volume control on my New Sea Story Pachinko machine. I thought I would share the procedure with my Pachitalk family. Sort of a step by step guide.

Although my Pachinko machine needed only one volume control, the same procedure is used to add volume controls to a 2, 3 or 4 speaker machine. This procedure can also be used to install volume control/s on Pachislo machines or just about anything with a speaker.

My Pachinko machine has a 3 position factory installed volume control, loud, Louder and WAKE THE DEAD. This procedure will tame the beast and allow comfortable play.

Materials needed: (Pic 1)
    1 - Potentiometer type Volume control, (available on the PT auction from FTKServices or from others elsewhere)
    1 - Length of 2 conductor wire (I use dollar store “speaker” wire)
    1 – Small length of electrical solder
    1 - 2” piece of electrical tape
    1 – ½” piece of double sided foam tape

Tools needed: (Pic 1)
    Soldering Gun, Soldering Iron or Soldering Pen
    Wire Clipper
    Optional: Screw Driver, Auto-Stripper

1, Locate the speaker to be controlled. The speaker in my machine is located in the overflow tray. (Pic 2)

2, Locate the speaker wires. One of the speakers 2 wires must be cut. The cut can be made anywhere along its length. Find a spot that will be easy to work on and make your cut. On my machine the speaker wires are in the back on the lower right side. I unplugged the speaker wires from the factory volume control to give me better access to the wires. (Pic 3)

3, Strip both sides (1/4”) of the cut speaker wire. (Pic 4)

4, Choose a location on the rear of the machine to mount your volume control. I chose to mount mine below the payout mechanism. Sometimes however I mount them alongside the speaker.

5, Cut your 2 conductor wire so you have enough wire to reach your chosen volume control location.

6, Strip both conductors (1/4”) on both sides of your wire whip.

7, Solder your wire whip to the volume control. (Pic 5)

8, After soldering I wrap some of the wire whip around a screwdriver shaft to give it a spiral shape. It gives me some wiggle room with routing and mounting. (Pic 6)

9, Solder the other 2 conductors of the wire whip to the cut speaker wire ends. (Pic 7)

10, Wrap the soldered conductors in electrical tape.

11, Place a small piece of double sided foam tape on the rear of the volume control and stick it to your chosen location.

You can see how I routed the speaker wire up from behind the transformer to a location just below the payout mechanism. I'm pointing to it with a Sharpie. (Pic 8)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 31 users say "Thanks" to DrDark