Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 102

Thread: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

  1. #21
    Waste not, Want not mudfud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    berkeley and salinas, CA
    Posts
    2,300
    Thanks
    1,954
    Thanks Received
    6,527
    Groans Given
    14
    Groaned 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    wow. I will definitely have to check this out next hawaii trip. wish I'd known about it in the spring when I was there.

    one of the us pachitalkers needs to go there and get some video to post!
    Last edited by mudfud; 01-08-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: more
    PachiTalk

    chewy's motto: life is plumbing

  2. #22
    Eye Shooter Microbus99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Aurora, Co. (suburb of Denver)
    Posts
    896
    Thanks
    1,958
    Thanks Received
    1,550
    Groans Given
    1
    Groaned 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    I guess you're the one Chewy. Hawaii's not in the budget this year.

  3. #23
    Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Down in da Holler, WV
    Posts
    8,668
    Thanks
    8,054
    Thanks Received
    17,656
    Groans Given
    347
    Groaned 191 Times in 121 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    We've got one who lives in Hawaii, but haven't heard from him in a long time.

    人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

  4. #24
    Sandwich Shooter ironworkerdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Close to Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    264
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks Received
    719
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    Here are info and pics on the net.
    Slot Machine Parlor in Hilo s Blog

  5. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to ironworkerdalton


  6. #25
    Sandwich Shooter ironworkerdalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Close to Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    264
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks Received
    719
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.



    Triple 7 Amusement
    500 Manono St Ste 104
    Hilo, HI 96720
    (808) 933-9529

  7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ironworkerdalton


  8. #26
    Tokie Owens phunk311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks Received
    93
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    Not really a parlor, but this sushi place in Scottsdale, AZ has a few:

    Geisha | Scottsdale Sushi | Scottsdale Karaoke Bar | Scottsdale Restaurant

    I think they are for display only. My friend had his birthday party there in a private room with a karaoke machine. Pretty cool place.

  9. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to phunk311


  10. #27
    Tokie Owens jeffsupersaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    japan
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks Received
    0
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    ok let me put this out gambling in japan is illegal. pachinko is NOT gambling. It is entainment and you get prizes just like a regualr video arcade. you can trade in your cards that you receive at a differant location differant company to recieve cash. also people have tried to open these in Vegas but it wasnt popular. in a few years when i get out i will open a small one in florida 1 penny per ball. similar to penny arcades. correct me if im wrong.

  11. #28
    Pachi Puro Moparformances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Diamond Springs CA
    Posts
    12,069
    Thanks
    23,284
    Thanks Received
    10,628
    Groans Given
    671
    Groaned 158 Times in 104 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    Welcome to Pachitalk

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsupersaiyan View Post
    . pachinko is NOT gambling. .
    I think your spliting very fine hairs



    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsupersaiyan View Post
    . in a few years when i get out i will open a small one in florida 1 penny per ball. similar to penny arcades. correct me if im wrong.
    sounds like a great idea i would love to see it
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

  12. #29
    Tokie Owens jdub2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    nixa
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks Received
    9
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.


  13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jdub2k5


  14. #30
    Blind Shooter Five Brothers TC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    14325 Willard Road Suite H, Chantilly, VA 20151
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    58
    Thanks Received
    229
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Smile Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    We are the one who carries a variety of Pachinko and Pachislo machines in the USA.

    http://shop.fivebrotherstc.com

  15. The following user says "Thanks" to Five Brothers TC


  16. #31
    Pachi Puro Card Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    12,739
    Thanks
    9,346
    Thanks Received
    5,578
    Groans Given
    40
    Groaned 175 Times in 64 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    I am definitely planning on coming by your showroom soon. What are your hours?
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

  17. #32
    Tokie Owens richardnguyen21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Under a coconut tree
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks Received
    7
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    Oh wow this is an interesting topic. Glad you posted this thread.

    Well it doesn't surprise me that you've heard of one in California. I follow the arcade scene as well (because of fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken, etc) and California has a very, strong, dedicated fighting game community there. Top 2 I'd say out of the US next to New York probably. Anyway, because a few arcades still exist because of that community, I'd say at best there probably could be a section dedicated to pachinko machines at one of the arcades. Since arcades seem more inclined to be diverse there.

    As for a pachinko parlor, that would be interesting to see but I doubt one exists solely for just non-gambling purposes. The cultures here in North America compared to Japan are two entirely different breeds. I mean again, I follow the arcade scene, and well, the arcade scene is pretty much dieing as it is. Even games where you win prizes are not as popular as they used to be. Let alone I don't see how pachinko parlors could exist if it doesn't involve gambling. And believe me I think that's sad.

    Arcades and PACHINKO PARLORS NEED TO EXIST!

    But speaking of which, I know for CERTAIN that some casinos in the US carry some pachinko machines as I have seen and read somewhere on the internet.
    Last edited by richardnguyen21; 05-24-2013 at 12:41 AM.

  18. #33
    Pachi Puro Moparformances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Diamond Springs CA
    Posts
    12,069
    Thanks
    23,284
    Thanks Received
    10,628
    Groans Given
    671
    Groaned 158 Times in 104 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by richardnguyen21 View Post

    But speaking of which, I know for CERTAIN that some casinos in the US carry some pachinko machines as I have seen and read somewhere on the internet.
    if you can find that someplace i would like to know where.. that would be a cool vaca-holiday
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

  19. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances


  20. #34
    Eye Shooter p.opus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Coral Springs, Florida
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    48
    Thanks Received
    722
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 6 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    The reason that Pachinko doesn't "take off" in the US is the difference in philosphies between the Japanese and people here in the US.

    In Japan, although it is technically gambling, it's penny-ante gambling. It is extremely hard to lose big in Pachinko and thus win big in Pachinko.

    Those who incur large gambling debts in Japan due to Pachinko usually have built them up over years and years of playing.

    Case in point, I recently ran 1000 balls through my vintage machine using a Gako Counter, which I think is fairly loose, and had a GREAT run. I totalled a net gain of 290 balls. A 29% on my money. And that was the highest I recently recorded. Most of the time after 1000 balls I am within a margin of +/- 15 percent.

    These types of margins just don't appeal to U.S. Gamblers. They want the huge payout. The most successful slots are those tied into the huge Progressive jackpots.

    In fact slot machines were in danger of becoming extinct in Vegas because single machines were just not capable of paying out the margins required to keep gambler's interest.

    When the concept of the progressive jackpots hit, it signalled a surge in slot play.

    Even our "entertainment only" machines we see using tickets, offer huge payouts. The idea is to get the huge prize with as little gameplay as possible.

    Pachinko players typically don't have that mind set. They are there not to win, but to unwind. It's almost unfathomable to our culture that the loudest, brightest, place in Japan is a place where someone goes to find solace. But if you walk into a Parlor in Japan, that is exactly what you see. Pachinko is an extremely solitary endeavor. It is you, the machine, and the balls.

    Those of us here who love the game, tap into that almost hypnotic quality of simply launching the balls and watching them carom down the pin field. This is the primary motivation and draw to the Japanese. And one that most people here in the US don't understand.

    Yes, the new modern machines do have fever modes that have much larger payouts, but again, these fever mode payouts are small compared to a corresponding US Slot machine.

    There of those who love this game, but I think there are more people in the US like my kids, who "just don't get it".

    just my .02
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

  21. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to p.opus


  22. #35
    Fever Hunter The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    49
    Thanks Received
    156
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    At Mall of America (in Minneapolis, MN), we have a Japanese restaurant that has Pachinko Machines for free play.

    Photo Gallery | Masu Sushi Robata
    Screen shot 2013-05-24 at 8.51.21 PM.jpg
    Last edited by The Rube; 05-24-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    WANTED LIST: Tom & Jerry Pachinko (2010). Blood+ Pachislo (2010). Woody Woodpecker Pachinko (2004). Indiana Jones Pachiko or Pachislo (2006). Ghostbusters Pachinko. Popeye Pachiko (2004). Takumi Way Pachinko (2008).

  23. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to The Rube


  24. #36
    Hyah! rubberratt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nebula M78
    Posts
    1,928
    Thanks
    2,460
    Thanks Received
    2,563
    Groans Given
    25
    Groaned 25 Times in 17 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    very cool

    せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

  25. #37
    Tokie Owens richardnguyen21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Under a coconut tree
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks Received
    7
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    Yeah definitely. I tried looking for it but for the life of me, I can't find it right now. Though I know I remember seeing it in a video too. I'll have to look again.

  26. The following user says "Thanks" to richardnguyen21


  27. #38
    Kungishi candyflip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MELBOURNE, Aus
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    1,770
    Thanks Received
    4,744
    Groans Given
    22
    Groaned 27 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by p.opus View Post
    The reason that Pachinko doesn't "take off" in the US is the difference in philosphies between the Japanese and people here in the US.

    In Japan, although it is technically gambling, it's penny-ante gambling. It is extremely hard to lose big in Pachinko and thus win big in Pachinko.
    Yeah sorry - don't agree at all.

    Having lived and worked in Tokyo, and played actual parlor pachinko for many years, you can lose small fortunes. I'm afraid flicking your vintages at home is *nothing like* reality.

    In parlors you can easily drop 10,000Yen in a matter of half an hour on a hungry modern. Some machines might take hours to payout, some won't at all. Total losses are usual - not an aberration. Lucky players can walk away with upwards of 100,000Yen, losers can do the same damage to themselves.

    It's like almost any form of gambling - if you want to go large at it, you can.

    However, your point on progressive jackpots etc are well made. Their is a scale difference with Vegas slots versus pachinko/pachislo - but I'm not sure it's the reason that pachinko wouldn't be a hit in America.

    The actual limiting factor is of course the owners of casinos - who want greater throughput of $$.
    Slots offer that - pachinko/slo's do not.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

  28. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to candyflip


  29. #39
    Fever Hunter The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    49
    Thanks Received
    156
    Groans Given
    0
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Pachinko Parlors in The U.S.

    I think there would be more of a market for a Pachislo parlor than Pachinkos. I'm no expert but I would make this judgement based on three factors:

    1) Because of the current similarity with US slot machines, Americans would be more inclined to play them. I think the whole concept of paying cash for a bucket full of ball bearings would just be too much for an average American. Pachinkos use tokens. tokens resemble quarters and quarters get turned into dollar bills ; nough said!
    2) Because of Visual Animations on LCD screen, instead of traditional plastic playfield animatronic, a Pachincho machine could compete with a highend Vegas Slot Machine.
    3) Because of just basic fear and common rudeness in most casinos, Americans would always be in fear of someone either stealing their precious little balls or knocking them over... especial senor citizens, which in my opinion do alot more gambling that any other age group.

    I own a Arcade and most people of the current generation that never seen a arcade machine and still can't grasp where the quarters are supposed to go or that you have to press Player One to start a game... for reals! Now try to explain how a pachinko/pachislo machine/gambleing works... oh man, I can just imagine all the headaches. Also Pachinko Parlors (been to Japan twice) are just too F*CK'N LOUD for Americans.

    Pachinkos and pachislo are fun to collect and are fun to play but I just don't see a profit in opening up a parlor on us soil.
    Last edited by The Rube; 05-26-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    WANTED LIST: Tom & Jerry Pachinko (2010). Blood+ Pachislo (2010). Woody Woodpecker Pachinko (2004). Indiana Jones Pachiko or Pachislo (2006). Ghostbusters Pachinko. Popeye Pachiko (2004). Takumi Way Pachinko (2008).

  30. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to The Rube


  31. #40
    Pachi Puro emmadog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    2,699
    Thanks
    901
    Thanks Received
    6,882
    Groans Given
    7
    Groaned 16 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    Yeah sorry - don't agree at all.

    Having lived and worked in Tokyo, and played actual parlor pachinko for many years, you can lose small fortunes. I'm afraid flicking your vintages at home is *nothing like* reality.

    In parlors you can easily drop 10,000Yen in a matter of half an hour on a hungry modern. Some machines might take hours to payout, some won't at all. Total losses are usual - not an aberration. Lucky players can walk away with upwards of 100,000Yen, losers can do the same damage to themselves.

    It's like almost any form of gambling - if you want to go large at it, you can.

    However, your point on progressive jackpots etc are well made. Their is a scale difference with Vegas slots versus pachinko/pachislo - but I'm not sure it's the reason that pachinko wouldn't be a hit in America.

    The actual limiting factor is of course the owners of casinos - who want greater throughput of $$.
    Slots offer that - pachinko/slo's do not.
    Also interesting is the fact that balls are rented for a certain amount of yen each but when cashed back in, they are worth significantly less. One article stated that balls cost 4.5 yen but only worth 2.5 when redeemed. So you have to win 40% more balls than you rented just to break even. That's how they make money and the player loses money. That's also not taking into account the cut that the exchange house receives.
    Great article: Pachinko Nation: Articles: Multimedia: Japan Society
    Last edited by emmadog; 05-27-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

  32. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pachinko parlors??
    By BigBearSteve in forum Modern Pachinko
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 02:26 PM
  2. Pachinko Parlors
    By BigBearSteve in forum These are the days of our lives...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 08:03 PM
  3. HOLLYWOOD Pachinko Parlors
    By azlew in forum Modern Pachinko
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 11:43 AM
  4. Pachinko Parlors
    By delphicoder in forum These are the days of our lives...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •