Thread: same pachinko/different comp.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default same pachinko/different comp.

Hi All,

Found something very interesting yesterday while I was looking at Pachinkoman's website. He has a Sankyo with the exact same playfield as my Mizuho. Although the colors and design are different it is the exact same layout. So here is my question:

1) Did Sankyo buy out Mizuho and use leftover pieces?
    2) Did Sankyo supply Mizuho with parts?
    3) Did Mizuho Supply Sankyo with parts?

Either way I think it is interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to 1930artdeco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: same pachinko/different comp.

dont know if i can answer your question 100%.. but the general consense is that parts were provided to several makers.. so i dont think it was one buying out another so much as it was both buying parts from the same vendor..

i have see machines with parts from one machine in another brand as well.. not the same jackpot as yours but u get the idea
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good explanation Mopar - I found the same thing on Pachinkoman's site, I have a frog theme on one of my Nishijin B's, he has the same centerpiece pictured on a Sankyo from the same year. But the centerpiece is the only similarity.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to NJ_Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

most are all familer with the monkey and the aligator center... now this is a little diferent but i own that jackpot in a model "A" and a Model "B" and did a minor restoration for a friend that had it on a Model "C"
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

maybe when the importers brought these here and reconditioned them back in the '70s,they had a stock of generic replacement playfield parts which they used to replace damaged factory parts.

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's funny you should bring this topic up. Microbus99 and I met today and discussed this very issue. There are many common ornaments and center features across all brands of vintage machines, as well as common cell designs. For instance, I have seen a model 'A' machine with the same center feature and cell as a model 'B', and we have documented in this forum, centerpieces and cells that transcend different manufacturers. We wondered if perhaps there was a third-party supplier that made the cells and playfields for Nishijin, Sankyo, Mazuho, etc, since that would explain the commonalities we are seeing between machines.

We also wondered if maybe model 'A' machines were manufactured in tandem with model 'B' machines. Maybe there were some parlours that were not upgraded to the automated ball reloading systems that the 'B' series machines needed to keep the jackpot hopper full. Maybe some parlours just preferred the recycling-style machines over the non-recycling machines. Did manufacturers produce these models in tandem so they could offer parlours a choice in the model of machines they purchased, or were 'A' machines phased out altogether at a certain point in time as our current method of dating machines implies?

If our hunch about machine production in tandem is correct, then it would explain why I have seen a model 'A' and model 'B' with the same centerpiece, and why we have found some inspection stickers that date 'A' series machines well into the mid 1970's.

There is obviously no way to know for certain, but there seems to be several significant discrepancies (at least in my mind) that suggest our present dating method for vintage machines may be flawed.

Food for thought!

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

11. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To further support my post above, here are photos of two identical machines. The first one is a 'B' and the second one is an 'A'. These would need to have been built in tandem in order for them to look so identical, wouldn't they (cell pattern excepted)?

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 11-15-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

great post

u make some great points and i would agree with most except i have seen model "C" machines with the same jackpot center as an "A" i own...

i fully agree that model "A" and "B" were made at the same time.. old small parlors would still want new machines but not be able to afford or have the room for the upgraded ball handling system...

as for the dating system being flawed, my thought would be if a machine was still geting good play.. still working good.. y not get the goverment to certify it for another year..

food for thought

i have never see to that have all the same pockets all the way threw
    Last edited by Moparformances; 11-15-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances