Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Cleaning Your Vintage Pachinko Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tips for Cleaning Your Vintage Pachinko Machine

Thanks for this brief tutorial. I've got a Dremel at home and if I hadn't read this post; I would've gone to town on the chrome/metal around the front of my machine.

It's got a polishing attachment that's basically a dense cotton wheel, so I'll probably still use that to finish the job, but I'll stick with something else to clean/remove rust for sure.

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to momslegacy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use the Dremel buffing wheel to shine up the nail heads in the playfield after I have cleaned them with a Miracle Polishing Cloth. I personally don't use it for much else, as I have damaged many pieces with it on my first few restorations.

Be careful when using it and always test in an inconspicuous area first.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    I use the Dremel buffing wheel to shine up the nail heads in the playfield after I have cleaned them with a Miracle Polishing Cloth. I personally don't use it for much else, as I have damaged many pieces with it on my first few restorations.

Duly noted!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post

Ah, my nemesis, the old Dremel buffing wheel! Yes, definitely heed Jack's advice, peoples! I too found out the hard way and actually wore away the plastic chrome on a plastic model car kit's bumper some years ago... learned my lesson that day! I don't recommend cleaning plastic parts with anything abrasive for obvious reasons. A soft sponge and mild soap work well and for stubborn dirt a little Isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel and elbow grease work well for me.

And if I might add a few tips of my own
    -If you want to remove chrome plating from plastic (particularly the chrome on our plastic tulip pots) immerse the parts in Coca Cola! It takes anywhere from one to two days to dissolve the chrome plating. I've used this trick many times to remove chrome plating from model kit parts.
    -Bare Metal Foil is a good substitute for chrome. Beware though it has more of a aluminum sheen to it. I have read that there is a shinier product from the same company, but cannot confirm this.
    -Vinegar makes a nice chrome cleaner too just dilute it with water. It works on real chrome and would wager to say it works on plastic chrome as well.

7. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to johnnykaye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have luck with this disposable scrubber on plastic pieces... available at grocery stores, Ace Hardware, etc.

Chore Boy Golden Fleece Scrubbing Cloths

One cloth lasts about 20 vintage machines...
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Excellent guide, many thanks!

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Jumbosinbad360

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you so much for the wiring diagram!

New to the board, but I was taking my pachinko machine apart and putting it back together for fun when I was 12. I just did my first actual fix up of a completely non-working machine, though. I made a few modifications, and one-the-spot new parts, so it wasn't a restoration. I'm more interested in functioning machines than pristine machines, which probably makes me a heretic. Anyway, I have worked on engines in the Army, and computers for a charity that made whole computers out of donated machines and parts, and gave them to non-profits and low-income families.

I also worked on my own projectors when I used to show movies in college.

A note on alcohol. I used to clean projectors (films are often very dirty) and computers that had been sitting, with 1:1 alcohol and distilled water (distilled has very little conductivity, or potential to grow bacteria), and would run a fan at low to help with evaporation. I came here just now hoping to find out if alcohol is OK for cleaning the machine, because I have a spot with some very mild mold growth. I don't want to use bleach or ammonia (obviously), and I don't think hydrogen peroxide will do the trick. Alcohol will kill it, I think; mixing it with distilled water ought to lessen any corrosive tendencies, and running a fan should evaporate it, I think, to there won't be any warping. I was going to use cotton balls and Q-Tips, for just the right amount of gentle abrasion. What do people think?

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
    I came here just now hoping to find out if alcohol is OK for cleaning the machine, because I have a spot with some very mild mold growth. I don't want to use bleach or ammonia (obviously), and I don't think hydrogen peroxide will do the trick. Alcohol will kill it, I think; mixing it with distilled water ought to lessen any corrosive tendencies, and running a fan should evaporate it, I think, to there won't be any warping. I was going to use cotton balls and Q-Tips, for just the right amount of gentle abrasion. What do people think?
    It depends what part of the machine. If you are talking about the cell itself, be very careful using ANY liquids on it. If even a little bit seeps through at the base of a nail, you can get a waterstain radiating out from that nail. I've used Windex and a q-tip on cells before, staying in the middle of the ball travel paths and away from the nails.

I don't think plastic/metal parts wound be affected much by momentary contact with 50% rubbing alcohol for cleaning.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you so much for the wiring diagram!

New to the board, but I was taking my pachinko machine apart and putting it back together for fun when I was 12. I just did my first actual fix up of a completely non-working machine, though. I made a few modifications, and one-the-spot new parts, so it wasn't a restoration. I'm more interested in functioning machines than pristine machines, which probably makes me a heretic. Anyway, I have worked on engines in the Army, and computers for a charity that made whole computers out of donated machines and parts, and gave them to non-profits and low-income families.

I also worked on my own projectors when I used to show movies in college.

A note on alcohol. I used to clean projectors (films are often very dirty) and computers that had been sitting, with 1:1 alcohol and distilled water (distilled has very little conductivity, or potential to grow bacteria), and would run a fan at low to help with evaporation. I came here just now hoping to find out if alcohol is OK for cleaning the machine, because I have a spot with some very mild mold growth. I don't want to use bleach or ammonia (obviously), and I don't think hydrogen peroxide will do the trick. Alcohol will kill it, I think; mixing it with distilled water ought to lessen any corrosive tendencies, and running a fan should evaporate it, I think, to there won't be any warping. I was going to use cotton balls and Q-Tips, for just the right amount of gentle abrasion. What do people think?
    Glad to see you made it over here and got your first post.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The mold is on the cell surface, but it's below the playing area. There do not seem to be any cracks in the finish-- I would expect the mold to collect along the cracks, if there were. But you can see why I want to stop it in its tracks before it creeps up to the playing area. It's not much, and I know it's mold only because my husband has a degree in biology, and he looked it and said "Yup, sure is." He offered to culture it in a petri dish to be sure, but I said it wasn't necessary.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yourself

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The mold is on the cell surface, but it's below the playing area. There do not seem to be any cracks in the finish-- I would expect the mold to collect along the cracks, if there were. But you can see why I want to stop it in its tracks before it creeps up to the playing area. It's not much, and I know it's mold only because my husband has a degree in biology, and he looked it and said "Yup, sure is." He offered to culture it in a petri dish to be sure, but I said it wasn't necessary.
    I'd say you could be safe using alcohol and distilled water. Just put it on a rag and wipe it on. Don't put any liquid directly on the playfield. Trust me a little does a lot of damage.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My intention was to use the same cotton balls and long-handled Q-Tips I use on computers and projectors; thanks to everyone for the input.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    I'd say you could be safe using alcohol and distilled water. Just put it on a rag and wipe it on. Don't put any liquid directly on the playfield. Trust me a little does a lot of damage.
    I don't know why I'm having so much trouble posting this, but I got some bad grime off a cell with 1:1 rubbing alcohol:glass cleaner w/ammonia. Applied carefully with Q-Tips, and dried off, two go-overs.

Here's a "during" picture with the right side still grimy, and the left after one pass, and an "after" pic after two goings-over, and thoroughly dried. The alcohol makes the glass cleaner evaporate before it can do water damage.

clean.dirty 001.jpg pachinko.a 002.jpg

Different light partly due to different time of day, and light through window, but I adjusted brightness a little to make the grime show up better. It really marred a cute machine. What you see circled in blue in the first pic was literally everywhere before I tried to clean it. It looks like a different machine now.

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This has been very helpful, I am part way done with my cleaning of all the back parts and ordered my new playfield background today. It took a while to decide. Anyhow, I have a question on how to clean one part in particular on my comet II. I looked at taking it apart but when I removed the screw the spring is attached to it did not seem to come apart there so there is still a piece of metal in there and not sure the best way to clean as not sure if it is a metal that can rust. I put the screw back in and did not try to take the rest apart until I asked here what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was referring to the screw with the spring on top on the end. I have yet to try the stuff on the bottom.

Thx!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if it were mine i would put it in my tumbler.. as for the spring itself.. i would try and replace it with new
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    if it were mine i would put it in my tumbler.. as for the spring itself.. i would try and replace it with new
    Do you mean the whole part in the tumbler? I am not sure it would fit in my tumbler and I have never put plastic in, does it survive? Do you put it in assembled? I have only done metal parts thus far in my tumbler. Thx!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the plastic i would scrub by hand..

metal in the tumbler
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    the plastic i would scrub by hand..

metal in the tumbler
    Ok thanks for clearing that up . I thought it was for metal only so had to ask. My issue is when I take that screw out that plast piece it screws into does not seem to come off and the metal piece that slides under it cannot come out. I am not sure if that plastic piece comes off or not. Do you know?

thanks,
    Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast