Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Cleaning Your Vintage Pachinko Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tips for Cleaning Your Vintage Pachinko Machine

A note on lubricants: I know WD-40 is an anathema, and spraying it willy-nilly over the back of the machine and leaving it is just asking for dust clogs. However, if you have things that are stuck or sealed with rust, spraying down the part (off the machine) with liquid wrench, carb cleaner, or some kind of lube that is a rust releaser, and then, once it has done its job, cleaning it off, is something I have done with success. People say "Don't use lube-- clean the part"; but if the part is rusted solid, that's an impossible order.

My point is that if you are not sure whether something is one part or two, make sure it isn't rust-sealed somewhere.

Can you provide better pix? I'm not sure how much further I'd advise breaking that down, although I have seen them broken down further.

Removing a film of lube can be done with alcohol and a child's (very soft) toothbrush, then rinsing VERY QUICKLY under hot water-- not boiling-- the hottest you can get from the tap, and drying very well and thoroughly. Use a Q-Tip to dry it in crevices, or a blow dryer.

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    Ok thanks for clearing that up . I thought it was for metal only so had to ask. My issue is when I take that screw out that plast piece it screws into does not seem to come off and the metal piece that slides under it cannot come out. I am not sure if that plastic piece comes off or not. Do you know?

thanks,
    Mike
    I generally remove all metal pieces that will come off without too much trouble and either clean them in my tumbler or scrub them by hand using a metal polish. As for the plastic part in your photos, the cover over the area where the ball path curves will not come off. I clean that area with a good plastic polish and a handful of Q-Tips to get all of the grime out of the ball path. It takes a bit of time, but you can get the inside clean with a little effort.

Never put plastic pieces in your tumbler!

~Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
    A note on lubricants: I know WD-40 is an anathema, and spraying it willy-nilly over the back of the machine and leaving it is just asking for dust clogs. However, if you have things that are stuck or sealed with rust, spraying down the part (off the machine) with liquid wrench, carb cleaner, or some kind of lube that is a rust releaser, and then, once it has done its job, cleaning it off, is something I have done with success. People say "Don't use lube-- clean the part"; but if the part is rusted solid, that's an impossible order.

My point is that if you are not sure whether something is one part or two, make sure it isn't rust-sealed somewhere.

Can you provide better pix? I'm not sure how much further I'd advise breaking that down, although I have seen them broken down further.

Removing a film of lube can be done with alcohol and a child's (very soft) toothbrush, then rinsing VERY QUICKLY under hot water-- not boiling-- the hottest you can get from the tap, and drying very well and thoroughly. Use a Q-Tip to dry it in crevices, or a blow dryer.
    Thanks for the info. The part in question is not metal or rusted, I think the plastic parts are put together with plastic rivets but not exactly sure.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    I generally remove all metal pieces that will come off without too much trouble and either clean them in my tumbler or scrub them by hand using a metal polish. As for the plastic part in your photos, the cover over the area where the ball path curves will not come off. I clean that area with a good plastic polish and a handful of Q-Tips to get all of the grime out of the ball path. It takes a bit of time, but you can get the inside clean with a little effort.

Never put plastic pieces in your tumbler!

~Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I will try that tonight. Once my cell arrives I want to start reassembling. Would love to be playing within a week or so...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would not recommend carb-cleaner or break-cleaner on plastic parts.. (without lots of testing)

its my understanding that these products DO clean excellent, but like a dishwasher they strip the oils from plastic. making them tired and brittle

i have in the past used denatured alcohol on plastic put in a refillable pressure can and it will blast nearly as good as the others
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    I would not recommend carb-cleaner or break-cleaner on plastic parts.. (without lots of testing)

its my understanding that these products DO clean excellent, but like a dishwasher they strip the oils from plastic. making them tired and brittle

i have in the past used denatured alcohol on plastic put in a refillable pressure can and it will blast nearly as good as the others
    Thanks. Thus far on plastics I have only used mild dish soap and a scrubber and it is working well. I follow it up with novus 1 to polish. all good so far.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh, absolutely. Rust removers are for parts that rust. If there is so much rust spilled over from a metal part that it has frozen a plastic part, I think you just need to replace the part-- like if you happen to have a plastic seesaw, or something.

Lithium grease is an option for trying to free up a stuck plastic part, though. You have to clean it after. I'd suggest dishwashing liquid designed for handwashing.

Another option is to drill out a rusted part, and replace it. Use a larger screw, cotter pins, there are lots of options.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info, good stuff. This is my first machine and was wondering where to get started.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Chicky28

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As a newbie I appreciate all the tips!!

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to plcharb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you are taking apart a machine for the very first time, take some photos: that will help you get it back together. Also, get a towel and lay the parts out sort of as they go on the machine. Pretty soon, you won't need to do this, but it'll help a lot with getting it back exactly right the first time-- no parts left over when you're done, no wondering which direction something goes.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks to everyone for all the tips here! I just used some marine polish on my trays and they're already looking better. I assume it's ok to give several treatments until it reaches optimal clean like the chrome?

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to liquid_sky

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow. Thanks for this detailed cleaning breakdown.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to scottken

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On cleaning up the chrome outer case, I found a very inexpensive way to remove pitting and rust. Simply use diet coke and a piece of aluminum foil. Wet the foil with the coke and rub it on the metal. It take a a lot of rubbing but all the rust will be gone and it will look like almost new. I heard never use steel wool as it my scratch the chrome.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

links for the tumblers are no longer good.
    i am looking to get one from amazon but most come with walnut and wood bags - are these used for metal or is there something else?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlujan View Post
    links for the tumblers are no longer good.
    i am looking to get one from amazon but most come with walnut and wood bags - are these used for metal or is there something else?
    i dont have this one but this is the style i use for pachinko stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...0992303&sr=8-1

walnut and corncob are the best..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im about to reset the metal track on the playfield - may i ask you pros what gauge wire you have found is best for this?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used 1/16 inch X 2 1/2 inch stainless steel cotter pins, they worked perfect.

https://www.agrisales-inc.com/116-x-...nt=Catch%20All

29. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

22 ga Stainless Steel wire

31. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i dont have this one but this is the style i use for pachinko stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...0992303&sr=8-1

walnut and corncob are the best..
    I bought one of these as a replacement to my old tiny tumbler. For easy handling I added a five gallon bucket and a sifter. https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...AVFMTKT7XS309E

Filled the hopper with finely crushed walnut shells, added some liquid brass cleaner and about 1000 balls. Four hours or so then a hot rinse and drying. Pour the ground walnut form the bucket back into the hopper, add more balls and repeat. I refreshed the shells and brass cleaner after about six runs. I've done a load or two per day and almost done with the balls. Next will be the tokens.

33. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast