Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lubricants cleaning

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default lubricants cleaning

i just started cleaning my 1970 pach, what would be a good lube.for hinges and joints anda good cleaning product, i am trying to posy some pic,s .. so have patients
    thanks
    vic.t.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

3. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to victor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: lubricants cleaning

A friend told me about this silicone lubricant that I have been using for the moving parts in the back: Ramco Sili-Film. It's a dry silicon spray - it works great and is not greasy at all. He sent me a can. I have never tried to buy it, but should be able to find it online.

A lot of people are using Simple Green to clean the playfield. I am sure many will chime in on that part.
    Do you know how many directions 500 steel balls can go on a tile floor...
    Yellow tulips are evil.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to GB_Jax

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the only cleaner i use on my pachi is the cell cleaner i got from birdbrain and windex on the plastic pieces...

no oil or lube of any kind..
    Last edited by Moparformances; 10-31-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

don't oil anything on the backs of those machines.i never have,and mine work perfectly.oils have a tendency to pick up dirt,which causes more problems in the future.

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you want to 'lubricate' anything, your best bet is Endust on a towel. Very slippery, drys clear, won't attract dust. If you could take apart any joints, rub the pins or other rubbing parts with it, removes the little bit of plastic dust that might cause friction and 'lubricates' the plastic.

I would think Armour All would do the same thing. Makes plastic surfaces very slippery.

Also could lightly polish and metal parts that rub plastic, any corrosion causes friction. My thought is a little toothpaste on a cloth?

Then again, if it's working OK, let it be!
    Last edited by compirate; 11-01-2009 at 12:36 AM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have restored many vintage machines and have never used any kind of lubricant on any moving part. These vintage machines were designed to work for years without any lubricant. All you need to do is clean and polish the metal pins and hinges with a good metal cleaner and they will work fine for 20-25 years. I use Blue Magic wheel polish from my local auto parts store or the Miracle Cloth that you can buy on ebay for $2.50.

As for cleaning the cell, an old cotton T-shirt lightly dampend with 409 does the trick for me.

Good luck!

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Victor,

Before I joined PachiTalk, my main source of information was Dan's Pachinko Data Page:

Dan's Pachinko Data Page

Based on his recommendations, I tried Gel Gloss (easy to get at Home Depot or Lowes) for play-field and plastic cleaning / polishing, it works very well for me and leaves a nice protective polish. To some extent I think it depends on what kind of dirt you have, is it just dusty? Is there mold? Something spilled on / in the machine? Different cleaners may work better on different types of dirt.

One thing that I'm surprised wasn't mentioned yet, so I'll do it, is never spray anything directly on the machine (especially not the play-field), always spray on a clean cloth and scrub.

If a part is really sticking, I would use a silicon based, non-dust collecting lubricant, never anything like WD40, which will gather dust. But I agree with the consensus here, if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. Also, if a part sticks, it could be bent out of shape or alignment, most of the parts shouldn't need lubrication, so try to figure out why something is sticking before you put any lubricant on it.

I used Blue Magic on the chrome areas and Brasso on the nails, everything shined up nicely. I found that Blue Magic worked really well on the chrome, but not as good as Brasso on the nails. I'm getting ready to start my next one and I'm going to try the Takethecastle (and now I see JacksJE4) recommended Miracle Cloth on the nails.

A toothbrush dipped in cleaner works well on the textured plastic areas and Nishijin logo.

Based on my experience with my first refurb, I'm going to work in this order on the next one (from a high level):

- Clean / polish play-field nails
    - Clean polish ball guides and play-field parts (tulips, etc), not sure if I'll remove the parts, we'll see, but based on others input, I'm not removing the nails on this one.
    - Remove winning ball tray and ball feeder mechanisms, take apart, clean and polish.
    - Remove all chrome trim (not sure I would do this every time, but the machine I bought has most of the screws out already, someone didn't want to waste time going to the hardware store I guess).
    - Shine, clean and polish all chrome.
    - Clean play-field
    - Clean all plastic trim pieces on front of machine.
    - Remove all parts from back for clean / polish.
    - Paint (if so inclined) play-field and trim parts that need it.
    - Reassemble machine
    - Replace wiring and limit switches / relays.
    - Maybe replace lights with LED's.
    - Build some sort of cabinet.

On my first one I waited until last to do the play-field nails and polishing them last got the play-field and other parts dirty again.

There is lots of good info on PachiTalk if you search for it. I've got a post planned with questions / comments, but searching the topics before I post has kept me busy reading for the last week.Obviously there isn't any one way to do things, I have three machines and it looks like I'll be trying different things on each of them.

I'm still new here, but sharing what you've learned and taking lots of pictures is encouraged / appreciated. Taking lots of pictures along the way will help you reassemble the machine also.

Good Luck!

15. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to NJ_Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thank you everyone, for your suggestions ,i'll will keep everyone posted as i progress, if i survive this one , that is if my wife doesn't throw me out ( lol ) i'll be on to my second one ...

vic

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi!
    Someone mentioned Blue Magic Wheel Polish but I would strongly recommend Blue Magic Plastic Polish. I bought some in an Autozone for $6.99 + Tax.
    I tried it and was amazed. It made all the scratches disappear!! I mean gone!!!
    As I used it on one piece after the other I developed a little technique for it.
    I found the best thing is to squeeze it out directly on the worst scratches and then
    generally dab it all over the rest of the piece.
    Then I simply smeared it all over the surface evenly with a finger, taking care to rub it a little extra where the big scratches were.
    Then I let it sit for 10 minutes and then rubbed and buffed it off the plastic.
    I found that you can feel the surface change from a bit of a drag on the cloth to slippery smooth as you polish it.
    The result was plastic fronts that look new. I mean NEW!
    I just used it on a machine that looked as if some kid had scribbled all over the front with a key or something. Now it looks brand new! No scratches. I still can't believe it!

18. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to SlotsRfun

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I also find GelGloss polish is the best overall cleaner. I use Blue Magic on some parts as well as for the final polish on my pachinko balls. I would not use it on any brass as the ammonia in it may attack the brass. I polish my pins with NEVR-DUL and a strip of denim.

I find just a cleaning with GelGloss polish on the bearing surfaces of moving parts works really well.

I use the wad of aluminium foil and a spritz of water to polish any lightly rusted places.

I think I will try the Blue Magic Plastic Polish.

Good Luck with your project.

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Cystic

Sandwich Shooter heavyguitarman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used alcohol on a q -tip to clean rust off my metal parts.The alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves nothing behind.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to heavyguitarman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I will have to keep the alcohol in mind. Does it do well for other general cleaning?

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wouldn't use it on anything but metal to be safe. It could ruin protective finishes or paint.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to heavyguitarman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is that the reason all my chrome pieces are now a milky-white?

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Lazarus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's probably polish. I didn't say use it as a polish, we were talking about lubes and cleaning moving parts.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Try the foil and spritz of water on a small area of the "milky" chrome
    --

31. The following user says "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Try the blue Magic Plastic polish on the chrome as well. I think it is amazing! My chrome had a yellowish cast to it but when i buffed it with the rag I used on the plastic, the chrome turned a shiny blue white reflection! Love this stuff.
    Oh, and a bonus also! I used it on a pair of my favorite reading glasses that had gotten so scratched that it was like looking through the shower door, They are crystal clear now! This stuff is amazing.
    As for alcohol try jack Daniels. I use it whenever I tinker around! Works great! Makes everything better!

33. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SlotsRfun

Thanks
    Thanks Received

has anyone tryed using lemon juice and salt on the pin heads? that's all i use and it works great . use one ounce lemon juice two tablespoons salt dab on with a q-tip let sit for 15 to 30 seconds an wipe of with a t-shirt .

35. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachitimsj

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've use cigarette lighter fluid to clean plastic on pachis, video games and game consoles

it does a good job and dries fast without leaving a sticky feeling to the plastic.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast