Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Power Flash Disassembly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power Flash Disassembly

I knew I wanted to protect the finish since as Microbus pointed out, there is a fair amount of hours in projects like this so having to refinish the same machine again would not be exactly desirable. Here's what I learned from some online research. Acetate is what most of us are familiar with but it does yellow and become brittle with age and can change dimensions overtime. It is commonly used for overhead projector overlays, sheet protectors, etc.
    Optically clear sheet mylar on the other hand is used to protect important documents, art, and whatever else needs protection ie, long periods of storage.
    Now I honestly don't know how it will perform on a pachinko but I based my choice on the above characteristics and Mylar looks to be the most stable and durable. Luckily, it's easy to find online and in some art stores and comes in self adhesive or not, sheet or roll, and in several different thicknesses. Plus it's cheap too- anywhere from 3-5 bucks a sheet depending on vendor.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think if we could find @ 10mil Mylar with adhesive back that wont affect color that would be ideal.

Cant wait till you get your stuff!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep I wish it was here already. Should be in early next week, it's in transit right now. As far as it being clear with adhesive it's supposed to be which it why it is "archival" quality- to let the original work come through as intended. BUT we'll see in a few days. I'll be putting pics up ASAP.
    On a different note, for all the people who have removed nails, were most of them bent slightly? It looks like all mine have the same degree bend to them. I suppose it could be from my pulling them out but I pulled straight.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Love how it looks so far. I don't think you will need any thicker because you aren't using it on a daily basis as much as a parlor would. The age yellowing is more of a factor.

Was there any damage to the cell when you pulled the nails? My damage was probably just to the laminate on the top layer, But I just pressed it back down and covered it up with vinyl.
    Last edited by digital1; 10-30-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    --

7. The following user says "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the compliment. Yes the yellowing was the main reason I went with Mylar. As far as nail damage-there wasn't any. They were a pain to pull but there was no widening of the holes or laminate damage. That stuff whatever it is is pretty tough especially considering it's age.
    Here's just a pic with the pieces just placed on there without the frame but also minus the registration stickers. On the last photos I forgot the spinners. I did have a little bit of wrinkling in the vinyl (upper right) but it's going to be covered up by the frame (I got lucky) and was caused from me accidentally grabbing that area when I was flipping the whole thing over after placing it on the vinyl.
    And yes I could have been neater cutting the holes out but their edges will all be covered up by either a part or the frame itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by emmadog; 10-30-2009 at 07:06 PM.

9. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And one with the registration stickers about where they are gonna go. Yes I am ready to get this thing back together!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry here's the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow! It looks great already! I'm guessing you're going to be busy this weekend.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to NJ_Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I'd like to be but I'm at a standstill till the Mylar gets here...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, digital's right, the nails are bent slightly for "action". I downloaded a "nail adjustment manual" somewhere. I believe it was from PachiTalk but not sure.

Its called "The fundamentals of Nail Placement". I saved the webpages as 12 PDF's. I could email it to you!

PM me if you want a copy.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Well I'd like to be but I'm at a standstill till the Mylar gets here...
    Oops - in the excitement of seeing what the final product might look like, I forgot that you were still waiting for Mylar. Still looks great though.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just an update- I received some non-adhesive mylar in the mail of several different thicknesses. I determined the thinnest (.002) seemed to be the easiest to manipulate and work the best. I taped it down to the surface after cutting it to size and proceeded to attach the center jackpot, bottom spinner thingy, as well as 5 of the tulips. Unfortunatley no matter how hard I tried there were still ever so slight contour lines appearing between fixtures. It would have looked okay in the end but I couldn't accept it plus it would have slightly affected ball movement. It also reminded me too much of furniture covered in plastic. So I pulled the parts back off and am waiting for the adhesive mylar which will be here on Friday but of course I am going out of town for the weekend so it will have to wait yet again. However I have learned that pinball manufacturers use mylar to cover the high-wear areas of their machines so at least this looks to be like a good material for this application.
    Gotta get this project done and clear some space as I managed to buy a new Arepachi. It'll be here in a week or so and is a Satomi Miracle Arrange Ball like takethecastle57's. It looks to be in very good shape minus a crack in the corner of the front glass. The owner said he knew nothing about it but that it didn't work, However he also stated that he had never opened up and it's been in storage all this time. So I am hoping that the internal power switch is off and that's why it doesn't work!!
    Last edited by emmadog; 11-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.

19. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the update. I'm more interested in a heavier material to cover my original artwork. Plus it'll add a little more "depth" to the playfield.

I'll be patiently awaiting your report

Congrats on the find of your new Arapachi!!

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

did some one say Arepachi??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yepper
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Who did you mug to get it. Pictures asap. please
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't resorted to mugging for Arepachis. Yet. I found it doing my usual want ad search. It was out of town so I had to do the norm and offer more than what he was asking plus pay for shipping. Always nerve wracking getting a machine shipped so he was gonna have the carrier pack it up for him. I'll post pics as soon as I get it in. Should be next week some time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

darn. I am still looking for one, but I am too afraid to send money to someone on craigslist out of my area... afraid they won't send it, or won't care to packaging it well enough.

I hope some day an arepachi will come my way.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well it's true it is a risk since to get them to ship you have to pay first to an individual as opposed to a third party facilitator. And the seller can be reluctant to ship since it's a hassle to ship these things. So to counter that I offer more than what they thought they would have gotten normally, obviously pay for shipping, and tell them that they can bring it to UPS and have them pack it. Usually the seller doesn't know what they are worth so you are not going to pay a whole lot more. Definitely not more than you would pay on eBay in most cases. So far, I have bought 2 Arepachis and 3 PF's thru Craigslist and they have all arrived fine except for one broken upper ball tray.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You've actually had someone send something out of state to you from Craigslist?

Sounds risky but I've never tried myself. I guess not all people are out to get you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast