Thread: NJ Mike Introduction

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default NJ Mike Introduction

Hello All,

I've been meaning to get to this introductory post for a while now. I have been around and soft of half participating since Sept, I thought I couldn't officially call myself a member unless I contributed to the mix here. Since I pulled a lot of insight from others posts, I feel like I should chip in. This post is how I got started and the machines I've bought (so far). I'll try to contribute regularly as I go through my restorations.

I'm an electrical engineer, specializing in manufacturing control systems, I spent about 5 years as an engineer using CAD, wiring, building control panels, programming and then starting up and troubleshooting systems for utilities, food manufacturers, chemicals and pharmaceutical companies (big industry in NJ). For the past 15 years or so I've been selling those systems while working for corporations like Honeywell and letting other people do the engineering.

My Pachinko story:

When I was a kid, I had a neighbor who had a Pachinko machine in his basement. At the time, we didn't call it a "vintage" but it turns out that is what it is today. His dad traveled back and forth to Japan quite a bit, I remember thinking that he brought it back with him, but also to my recollection, the machine had a Pachinko Palace (which I see on one of the machines I bought was in Paramus NJ) sticker on it, so chances are he saw them in Japan and bought one in NJ.

At any rate, about 5 years ago I finished my basement and was looking for simple arcade machines and I remembered the Pachinko machine. However, when I googled Pachinko, only (what I now know are) moderns came up in the results and I looked at them and thought, "That's not the pachinko I remember" so I didn't buy one.

Earlier this year I was looking to start a refurb project and was thinking pinball, however after a looking around a bit, I realized that a.) my tastes were too narrow, I like the "Williams High Speed" style of pinball and they were expensive and I didn't find any decent refurb projects and b.) they were going to take up a lot of room and if I decided to take a break from the project (I sometimes get distracted) it would be an issue with the "boss". Early on in my marriage I "fixed" a car (Honda civic, timing belt went, bent valves) in our garage...for two years...but it gone done eventually. Now with three kids, space is at a premium, too much stuff...

While searching on CL, I saw an ad for "Japanese Pinball" and looked at it and thought "That's the pachinko I remember", so I bought it. Then I started looking at PachiTalk and discovered what water stains were...bummer. That was a Nishijin B "Frog" (first two attachments)

During the time it took to order some pachinko balls, I found another Nishijin B on eBay, this one is called "Angel" for obvious reasons (second two attachments).

By that time I was reading PachiTalk quite often and I came across an eBay listing for another vintage and even though I didn't need one, it was listed for $75 with a best offer and the night the bidding ended, no one had bid so I threw in a bid of $15 and the seller ended up taking it, so my third one came home. This one is still in my garage, it looks like it has all its parts, but the cell is not in great shape and everything needs a major cleaning. I don't have pictures of it yet, but it is a Nishijin B Dolphin, there are one or two other members here who have one. It may be a candidate for a Microbus refinish. In fact, I have some other ideas for it that I'll share when I get to work on it, which won't be for several months. I also have some ideas for cabinets / wall hanging, but it will be at least 6 months before I get to that stage.

Of the three, Angel was in the best shape, I just finished a simple refurb on it and I'll do another post tonight or this weekend with before and after pictures. I'll also try to post over the weekend (but it may be next week) on what I learned on my first refurb and some questions I have.

Now that I've been reading PachiTalk for a while, I think I'll start to venture into Moderns after I'm done with my three vintage refurbs, maybe a little at a time. I think I'll have to part with a vintage or two before I do that though.

Whew - I didn't intend to type for this long.

More to come...

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 21 users say "Thanks" to NJ_Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: NJ Mike Introduction

Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

welcome to pachitalk

6. The following user says "Thanks" to victor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Mike!!

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Microbus99

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm glad that you shared a few words!
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

12. The following user says "Thanks" to dishpan

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great post, Thank you!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

14. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk NJ Mike... and thanks for the post, it was an enjoyable read!

Have you spent any time playing with your machines yet? Did it bring back your childhood memories.

As far as water stains and such, I wouldn't be too worried about them... these now "vintage" machines bring with them lots of character to show for their years. Of course, there have been some spectacular refurbishes documented on PachiTalk... so if you have the time and patience... go for it!
    Dawn

16. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dawn - I've spent a little time playing the Frog just to make sure all of the parts worked. Homegrown solutions on PachiTalk for replacing a missing ball path guide (not sure of real part name - the white plastic piece that holds the balls in the chute) under the feeder tray in the back were very useful. The Angel has been cleaned and operational for about 2 weeks now and I've played it a little bit every day, as has my 8 year old daughter, who really enjoys it.

Yes it has brought back memories, in fact I sent my sister a note about this refurb project and she didn't remember too much about the machine until I sent her a picture and she told me that the sound of the bell ringing and the balls bouncing off the glass and the nails came back to her in a rush. I may surprise her and make room for a modern by shipping one of my refurbs to her.

Thanks for your feedback!

Mike

18. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to NJ_Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow what a great post!!

I like your vintages, I only have one so far, they are hard to find over here, so I'm very envious of your nice looking ones

Welcome to PachiTalk NJ Mike

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

20. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome!!

22. The following user says "Thanks" to SunKing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

welcome to pachitalk, mike!

with your background, I would bet that fixing even some of the modern machines wouldn't be hard for you.

thanks for your detailed posts. you have some nice looking machines there.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

24. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the group Mike. I am about 45 minutes away from you. I have lots of tokens and balls available for sale if you need any.

Frank A
    Frank A
    Lower Delaware

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Frank A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Mike,
    Welcome aboard. Where in Jersey did you grow up? I used to have one in my basement too when I grew up in the 70's in Union, NJ.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to bill812

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bill - born in Brooklyn moved to West Milford, right off Rt 23 by the Clinton Reservoir and lived there from 5th grade through departure for college.

I noticed your profile a few weeks ago and that you moved south of the Mason-Dixon line. Not sure I could leave NJ at this point, even though I can easily see a lot of benefit to it.

Mike