Thread: Share home theater project ideas

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Share home theater project ideas

Just thought I'd start a thread for people to share their current home theater set-ups and suggestions. I currently have a Benq W5000 projector and a 120" motorized screen with a projected image of about 100". I'm not using the full screen due to having curtains to line the outside border.

misc_4.jpgmisc_1.jpgmisc_2.jpg

I cheaped out and made my own screen assembly (and curtains) with various parts found on Ebay and my local hardware store. I didn't want to ship a 120" screen because it would've costed a fortune due to it's length. So I just bought the screen material and rivetted to an aluminum tube using low profile rivets. I needed a tube that was light and strong. It had to be light so the motorized unit could turn it without being overloaded. And the tube needed to be strong so that it wouldn't bow or curve at the full length even with the screen all rolled up. All the pipes I found at the local hardware store would tend to curve when it got to such a length. My solution was to use two 60" lightweight aluminum shower curtain rods. They seemed to be able to hold up very well. I joined them together with a large wooden dowel that I made from a butchered broomstick handle. I mounted it all onto some scrap pieces of wood along with various curtain brackets so that all the drilling was restricted to these pieces of wood. That way I didn't need to put a million holes into my wall. I then mounted this whole assembly with only 3 or 4 screws on each side into the wall. I actually needed 4 sets of tubes/rods. One for the screen, one for the black curtains, one for the front burgundy curtains and one for the valance. Since this whole setup was mounted on a bay window, I needed to block out the sunlight coming from this bay window. I decided to make a motorized set of opening/closing black curtains behind the screen. So basically the black curtains would open/close from the center and the screen would go up/down. Also needed another set of curtains to create a border around the outside of the screen. I originally purchased some special non reflective black tape that I was gonna stick around the frame of the screen but finally decided against it. The motorized unit is controlled via an IR remote and can be daisy chained to control multiple sets of curtains. So basically I can control the screen and the curtains with the same remote. I know it sounds gay but I forced myself to learn how to sew so that I could make my own curtains. Not pro by any means but it does the job. I wasn't gonna pay someone a fortune to make me some curtains.

So after the screen was done that was just half the project. I originally had a crappy office projector that we put on our coffee table. This thing pumped out a lot of heat into our face so I eventually wanted to do a ceiling mount. But before this happened a power surge at our place destroyed this projector. This was replaced with the Benq W5000 HD. I wanted to do a clean mount without running wires along the wall. I also wanted all the connectors on the back of the projector duplicated on a wall-mounted face plate just in case I ever wanted to connect a laptop or some old skool device (ie. S-Video, RCA, etc.). So I had to get 25' wires for all the connectors and I had to get a custom faceplate made. The projector also outputs using BNC connectors, but when am I ever gonna use those? So I got a BNC to VGA cable since there was no direct VGA connector on the projector. Now the fun part comes with cutting up the ceiling and running all the wires. I used a cabler's fish hook wire to try to run the wires, but due to the 90 degree bends in our wall I wasn't able to do it. I had to cut a hole in our wall to feed the wires and then patch it up and repainted it later with matching paint. It zap-strapped all the wires together in a bundle which probably came out to almost 2 inches in diameter. I had to also use a hole cutter for doob knobs to cut thru some studs/joice in the wall to feed the wires thru.

Here is a pic of the faceplate. The wire beside it is the power wire to the project that I now plug into a surge protector. I learned my lesson. I didn't bother tapping into the electrical wires inside the wall as I would've had to rig some type of in wall surge protector and probably need to cut more of the ceiling or wall.

misc_3.jpg

Long story short, we plan to be moving soon and this set-up will go to the new home-owners. That means I'll be looking to do another home theatre set-up. My next project will either be an off the shelf motorized screen like Stewart or Draper with a flush ceiling mount or a fixed frame screen. If our new place can accommodate a very wide screen I'd like to get an anamorphic lens for a more true theater experience.

Our sound system currently is just a cheap 5.1 pioneer speaker/receiver set. I plan to get something better in the future that can blow my socks off.

Movies are blu-ray thru a PS3 via HDMI. TV is a 52" Sharp Aquos for watching regular cable.

Comments, suggestions and ideas welcomed.

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to kungfucop

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Share home theater project ideas

Wow that is so cool,
    Nice setup i want one.
    do you play your ps3 games on that Giant screen?
    if so they must look awsome.
    cheers for sharing it with us

YOU ONLY GET ONE LIFE, SO MAKE IT A PACHISLO ONE.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Share home theater project ideas

I see an old thread here but though I would reply. The projector prices have fallen over the years. You can pick up a decent projector for around $400 USD or so. I have a 110" and the picture is great. You though playing your xbox or ps3 was cool on your 42" Play it on a 110". Yeah real life like. Add the surround sound, get the popcorn poppin, open the Man fridge and grab a cold one...oh and get yourself a pillow because your going to be down here quite awhile. I have to tell you though I just bought a 47" LG Cinema LED TV 3D. This baby uses regular theater glasses. No powered glasses required and they only cost 2.50 each. And you don't have to buy 3d movies. The TV has a built in 2D to 3D converter. It plays any movies from TV to DVD in 3d. I played 'Dead Island" on xbox 360 in 3D and it scared the crap out me. Anyway have fun!