Thread: Need a little help with grammar.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Need a little help with grammar.

Hi.

As some of you may know we have a small flash game site called Nostalgiapelit (Nostalgic games).

Nostalgiapelit - Etusivu

It is just a hobby. We decided to add English FAQ page and It is my job to do but I'm quite terrible with English grammar...

Could you please help me to correct the spelling, grammar and tell me how to write these things more polite or sophisticated way if needed. Thank you very much!!

(names and links removed)

What is this site?
    Nostalgiapelit is non commercial and totally ad-free flash game site. The games are remakes of nostalgic slot and amusement machines from past decades. In Finland the old slot machines are rare because they were demolished or ripped to parts after use because gambling laws. Most of machines were made in Finland or were made only for Finnish market and cannot be found elsewhere. There are also games like the coin flicking game called "pajatso" which was significant part of Finnish gambling history and still is. The people like to remember the old good times but those machines do not exist anymore in pubs, shops and gas stations for example. That is why we decided to make simulated versions.

Who are you?
    We are three freelancers who found each other from the Internet. We decided to make games as a hobby. Graphics are drawn by XX, music is composed by XX and XX makes all this into working game.

Why do you games?
    This is just our hobby. The first game called "Viidenkymmenen pennin pajatso" - the traditional Finnish coin flicking slot machine was made only for our relatives and friends but the success of the game encouraged us to make the game public for all people.

Ok. Sounds fun. Is this site popular?
    Yes it is. There were over one million unique visitors only in two months and over two million after couple of months. Most visitors came from Finland (country of five million citizens) and that is great result for a small Finnish non commercial site. According to TNS-Metrix we were better than the news portal of second largest newspaper in Finland with 37000 unique visitors per day. Now the site has some thousand visitors per day but the average visit time in the site is increasing every month thanks to our new titles.

There has been numerous articles in various local and international newspapers, magazines and blogs like XX which is the biggest daily subscription-based newspaper in Scandinavia and popular casual game play blog XX just to name few. There has been couple of inserts in Finnish gaming and web related TV programs also.

What games there are coming?
    Usually we have many candidates to choose from. Some are our favorites and some are requested from us. We like to keep the game variety as versatile as possible so we change the type every time. If you have a good suggestion for a new game, just send email to us.

Can I put your games to my site for free?
    We are sorry but our games are not freely usable without permission. If you see our game which is likely unauthorized version please contact us. Thank You.

Thanks
    Thanks goes to XX for helping with Tooty Fruity. XX for video poker pictures and videos. XX for Big Strike Bowling pictures and sound effects. XX for Weltron Roulette sound effects. XX for pictures and additional information. We would like to thank XX and XX. servut.us -server and server's helpful admins!
    for consultation with old machines and all out beta testers and people who gave us valuable feedback. Our humble thank goes to all those who advertised our games to their friends and linked to our site. Special thanks goes to

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Supersaiyan

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Need a little help with grammar.

I think most of it looks really good, just 3 of the questions seemed a little off..

I'm not the best at English, even if its all I know, but I'll give it a try!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersaiyan View Post
    Why do you games?
    Why do you make these games?

What games there are coming?
    What other games are coming?

or

What new games are coming?

Can I put your games to my site for free?
    Can I put your games on my site for free?

Hope that helps!!

BTW, your site is looking really good!!
    Last edited by MrGneiss; 09-11-2009 at 03:55 AM.

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need a little help with grammar.

Thank you so much!

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Supersaiyan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A few minor catches for me (corrections in RED):

Nostalgiapelit is a non commercial and

made only for the Finnish

pajatso" which was a significant part of Finnish

XX makes all this into a working game.

and that is a great result for a small

There have been numerous articles

There have been a few inserts

just send an email to us.

likely an unauthorized version

Thanks go to XX

server and the server's helpful admins

and all of our beta testers

Our humble thanks go to all

Special thanks go to

Great JOB! The content is wonderful, the adjustments that I pointed out will just make it a smoother read for the English speaking visitors.

OOPS! I just had to edit my edits!

Last edited by dattia; 09-11-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    Dawn

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: Need a little help with grammar.

Let's start with the basics.
    Bill
    "trying Is the first step towards failure" Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Dattia! I know I have problems with definite and indefinite articles because Finnish language does not have them at all. I also added little guide there in English how to play every game if someone had difficulties to understand.

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Supersaiyan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's OK... I guess we use them to the extreme here! I have great difficulty with other languages that don't use them. My husband speaks Arabic, and when I try to speak it, I generally inject English articles right in there along with the Arabic! Luckily, all the Egyptian relatives are very patient and understanding with me and my attempts at speaking their language.

I applaud you for the effort, it was a great one... you said you were not well versed in English and I found the opposite to be true. My adjustments were completely cosmetic! Good luck!
    Dawn