Thread: Power Flash Plastics Painting

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Power Flash Plastics Painting

Forgive the alliteration. Anyway I thought I'd post a pic and some things I learned while painting a T-bird model Power Flash.
    First off I used Testors enamel paint and thinner as wel las one of their very small brushes. I don't remember the size but it was the smallest brush I'd ever seen and coulda used one even smaller. As far as technique goes I basically removed the plastics (the nails came out easily) so I could lay them flat and also place them on a proper work surface in regards to height as opposed to placing the whole machine on it's back and hunching over it. For painting I thinned the enamel and basically placed it in the recesses a drop a a time and "guided" the paint in the nooks and crannies. It is inevitable that you will get some paint on the raised borders. My solution to that is to use q-tips, place the cotton tip only in the thinner and lt will wick up to where the cotton ends. You can see this happening and takes less than half a second as thinner is much less viscous than water. The cotton will in fact feel dry but it has all you need. Don't dunk it in and let it soak!!! Then gently rub the borders to remove the paint. I used the side of the q-tip as opposed to the tip to prevent any part of the cotton from touching the paint in the recessed areas. Also, the thinner will remove the gloss from the black paint on the borders but not the black paint itself unless you get crazy. You could go back and repaint those areas in gloss black but that would require hands much steadier than mine and besides it's not noticeable. Also in this pic the difference is not as apparent between the painted and unpainted queen but in real life the colors are much richer and vibrant.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by emmadog; 09-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.

2. The following 22 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power Flash Plastics Painting

A couple more pics. The Jack demonstrates best the before and after difference out of the three pics but they all are actually much improved. Now two more issues to solve. The first is finding a metallic paint as shiny as the original finish on the King and Queen jackpot and lowball indicators.tThe other issue is the vertical row of stickers between the Jack and King as well as on the tulips. On my PF's some are in great shape and others are very faded. I thought about taking high quality pics of the ones in good shape and photoshopping them to improve their appearance then scaling them to the right size and then printing out on sticker paper. It'll be awhile before I get around to that though. FYI in the 3 pics I am holding the painted ones up against plastics on another PF. The ones I painted were faded more than the ones they are shown with.
    Last edited by emmadog; 09-08-2009 at 05:47 PM.

4. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very Nice work! I am waiting on a new alps MD-5000 (The best Dye Sub printer ever). When I get it, i intend on printing some new decals for my "Little Man" Powerflash. I can design new decals of the cards freehand that will look near perfect (as good as, if not better than the original). Does anyone have a good scan or clipart of the character that is on the yellow tulips? You know? The one that looks like Carmen Miranda's evil twin? Thanks
    Last edited by johnnynormal510; 09-08-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Improper use of a prepositional phrase.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to johnnynormal510

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I will send you a pic of that guy this evening. Hopefully it will work for you. I'll help with the cost of the paper/ink in exchange for some of the decals if you're interested! At the moment I am painting the T-bird jackpot. It came off surprisingly easily.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't know if this is sharp enough but here's the pic. Lemme know if you need anything else in your decal pursuit.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice att to detail
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Mopar. A couple more pics. One is just the PF without the plastics attached and the other is the jackpot. I'm not through with it just yet as it still needs a little more fine tuning. So the raised areas on this piece are mostly white. I still have to go back and fix the black raised areas. But they white borders were badly stained from tar and grease. These areas should be cleaned before painting which of course is the opposite of how I did it. Since they are such small areas and the pins get in the way it's best to remove this piece. I ended up using the fine grit sanding block inthe picture and it removed the stains in a snap. As I said I have a little more work to do but this method sure beats the hell out of painting those areas white by hand.

14. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW! Incredible! A Naked thunderbird!
    I bow at your incredible dedication!

I got my printer today! WHOO-WHOO! Its awesome!
    You are lucky to get 300DPI on regular copy paper, but this printer will print a PRIMER layer on any surface that allows you to print Glossy 1200 DPI photo quality pictures on cheap paper. You can also transfer to T-Shirts, and Coffee Mugs. I'm going to make a PowerFlash T-Shirt.

I will start on the decals right now!

...JN

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to johnnynormal510

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm waiting on the dye sub ribbons. If anyone has that artist touch, and would like to do the graphics, I will be happy to print them up for us all.

I am waiting on some specialty Hi-Res Decal paper to arrive. Should be here within a week TOPS.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sometimes its hard for me not to take things a little bit too far...

How does this image look? Sure, its not exactly stock, but I cleaned it up a little bit, and then added a little metallic gold to the edges.

Dont know how it will come out in the picture, but the third picture is a photo of the printed joker, with the gold edges.

19. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to johnnynormal510

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Outstanding job! Were you planning on reproducing all of the decals? I ask because my newest PF lookslike it's seen the most use (the one that I repainted the plastics). All the decals on the tulips are yellowed and peeling off and the ones on the plastic piece are very faded on another PF. Unfortunately I can't help too much with the artistic side of the house but I'd be glad to help pay for whatever supplies you need.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Absolutely... It may take a little time to get picutres that I am happy with, but that is my plan.

Rusty??? Where are you? You know you're getting a copy too!

Its a tough decision, but I am going to use TESLIN FILM w/Dye Sub. That way it wont fade...
    If I design them by hand, they will have a little different flair than the originals.
    I really like the metallic Gold around the joker, and i think i'll keep it. The rest will be as close to stock as possible.
    The pachi purists wont be happy with the result, but you do what you gotta do! I set up the tripod today, and am trying to get pictures that I am satisfied with (its all about the angles!).

Any artists? please let me know.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I havent forgotten this project, but i still havent been able to come up with an exact match for the card suits, nor the font.

I found some dye-sub decal paper that i think will work excellent.

If anyone has any better images, or font please let me know!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Johnny,

If I produce some art for the background cell could you copy it to decal? 18" x 24" is what I remember. I was thinking of Kinkos otherwise.

Happy for you and your new printer!

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I for one would be interested in seeing a picture of the t-shirt when it was done.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Sandwich Shooter heavyguitarman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very good work, I'm really impressed!!!