Thread: miracle 00 steel wool

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default miracle 00 steel wool

hey guys.

I just had to post these before and after pix using steel wool.

I'd already used it on chrome with great effect, but I tried it on the plastic (don't do this if you don't have deep scratches to remove) and it worked amazingly well.

I know that the novus is supposed to work, but i haven't made it to TAP plastics yet.

the combo of 00 steel wool, never dull (usually for metal, but slightly abrasive) and ttc's polishing cloth to finish, had things looking brand new. I even used the steel wool to remove some stains off the white plastic center piece.

only advice on this stuff is to use it outdoors and save the cell cleaning for last. I had steel wool fuzz everywhere and had to reclean the cell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: miracle 00 steel wool

I'll echo comments of several folks here. The Miracle Cloth was an excellent purchase. My heads never looked so shiney! brass nail/pins.

I just bought large size Novus products from The Container Store. They had small bottles and large bottles. I went with the large this time.

Steel wool works great on chrome plated plastic. I don't know what you call it when the chome on the plastic starts to go bad, but steel wool makes it look awesome.

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to thepachinkoman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: miracle 00 steel wool

I typically use #0 or #00 steel wool on the metal and chrome pieces, depending on how much rust or pitting there is. #0 is more abrasive and #00 is less. When it comes to plastics (including chrome plated plastics), I have found that #000 wool will do the same job, but leaves less scratches to worry about. In some cases it will leave a shine.

NOTE: less is better when using steel wool on plastics - buff with light pressure and only as much as needed. Too much rubbing can damage the area and, if using on a chrome plated piece, it will eventually scrub away the chrome. Test on a hidden area first!

After using the steel wool on the plastic, I polish it with Gel Gloss (available at Home Depot in the marble/tile isle) and the end result is plastic that looks shiney and good as new.

I fully agree with the Doc - steel wool is messy!! Be sure to use it outside. Also, use a disposable breathing mask to make sure you don't inhale any of the wool fibers while you work.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4