Thread: Pachinko Web site - what would you like to see?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachinko Web site - what would you like to see?

It occurs to me that there are *very* few English language websites based on Pachinko (do a search and see), either its history, its current incarnations, or its makeup. Of course, PachiTalk is a fantastic resource for talking about Pachinko (and many othe things) but should there not be a wesbite full of photos, machine model info and other stuff not covered here, available to all?

Question : If you were the designer, and could direct content, what would your new ideal Pachinko site contain?

Am I thinking about making one? Yes... but I have precious little inclination currently. Perhaps you could convince me?

jon
    There is always another machine around the corner...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachinko Web site - what would you like to see?

lots of pics and links in the pachitalk museum
    Last edited by compirate; 08-11-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    lots of pics and links in the pachitalk museum
    I'm workin' on it! Still making a list of machines out there.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

5. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    but should there not be a wesbite full of photos, machine model info and other stuff not covered here, available to all?
    This already exists (and very little of what is available is not covered), and you are already member. Look at the top of the page and click on resource center. This has taken many years to put together.

Question : If you were the designer, and could direct content, what would your new ideal Pachinko site contain?
    See my above answer.

Am I thinking about making one? Yes... but I have precious little inclination currently. Perhaps you could convince me?
    Go for it. Just remember, it takes a long time to research and find all of the machines that are (and were) over there in Japan. How's your Japanese?

Just my 2 cents.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Lddrizzt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i would make a site that was easy to use.. lots of pictures.. and a great Q&A section..

if u find ot creat a site that does this let me know

not trying to be and Azz but take a look around and check out all this place has to offer.. i still find new things every week
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Lddrizzt View Post
    This already exists (and very little of what is available is not covered), and you are already member. Look at the top of the page and click on resource center. This has taken many years to put together.
    With all due respect, I don't believe that to be true. It may well have taken years to put together, but Sankyo, as one example, may well have released double, if not triple, the amount of machines currently listed in the Pachitalk Museum. Many machines, especially hanemonos, from the period before the late 90's for all manufacturers, are not covered in this site at all. And that's OK...

I'm not saying, as a non-native speaker of Japanese, that I'm any better placed to make this happen - as a matter of fact, I'm saying it looks like entirely too much work for me and that's why I haven't done it. I've run websites before and even the simple ones are a lot of work to maintain.

But there are gaps in the current English knowledge I can find on the web, which could be filled. My question is therefore a general one posed to tease out of other people what they might see as currently 'missing' out there. It is not, I repeat NOT, a dig at PachiTalk or the excellent resources it brings to the table.

cheers
    Last edited by candyflip; 08-11-2009 at 11:03 PM.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I encourage you in whatever way you wish to do this. Let me know if you need any good database links! We need all this kind of thing we can get, and if someone's willing to try, I say Go Go Go! (or is that 5 5 5? )

The Research Center was put on the back burner, gotten a little cold, I was hired to light the fire and stir the pot. I'm workin on it
    Last edited by compirate; 08-11-2009 at 11:22 PM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

12. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you want , Help Compirate and others to get pictures of the machines and information on it . If you have a question of a certain machine (Ariepachi's and such) pm the owner of the machines you see in their albums .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Pachinko Web site - what would you like to see?

I've tried to make a few pachinko web pages..not easy for me ..other than me being really lazy, it didn't make it any easier not knowing how to read Japanese!!

My advice would be to maybe focus on one thing..like maybe the older hanemonos that you love..i think that would make it a lot easier for you to stay on track and to make your site more complete and probably more fun to do!!

Whatever you chose to do, good luck and keep us updated!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    My advice would be to maybe focus on one thing..like maybe the older hanemonos that you love..i think that would make it a lot easier for you to stay on track and to make your site more complete and probably more fun to do!!
    Thanks for some relevant and well thought through advice. I had exactly that suggestion on my mind too today, as it happens..

cheers

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I`d really would like to see easy navigation in machines by theme - like tags inserted in each machine description. For example: cartoon, anime, drama, movie, game (if pachi based on video game), idol and etc.
    That would be great for newbies like me if i`m looking to find info about machines in interesting for me category...

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Bubel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One of the big problems is that the manufacturers have a tendency to dump all the info from their websites for anything going back more than a few years.

A couple of years ago our research center was at least twice as big as it is now, then all the manufacturers updated their sites and all our links went dead.

As MrGneiss said, if you have a passion for a certain type of machine, then that is what you should do the research on. And maybe set your site up as a specialty type site on those machines.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Lddrizzt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A web site with a pachinko emulator, so we can play all the machines we don't have.

Now that would be cool

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to rubberratt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The main thing is the time and trouble you will have to get it all running.. and maintained and current

Suggestions are great but they just end up being things added to your to do list.
    because bottom line is you will be the doer. suggestions come and go but rarely does anyone offer anything more then that the suggestion on what you should do. Except for a maybe why isnt it done yet

As to how to make it happen and keeping it all running etc it will be your baby.

you will find that even the best laid plans of mice and men get bogged down by real life, software limitations, knowledge limitations and a myriad of other things that keep us busy..

a site is a wonderful thing, it takes commitment and lots of hard work.

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

25. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    The main thing is the time and trouble you will have to get it all running.. and maintained and current

Suggestions are great but they just end up being things added to your to do list.
    because bottom line is you will be the doer. suggestions come and go but rarely does anyone offer anything more then that the suggestion on what you should do. Except for a maybe why isnt it done yet

As to how to make it happen and keeping it all running etc it will be your baby.

you will find that even the best laid plans of mice and men get bogged down by real life, software limitations, knowledge limitations and a myriad of other things that keep us busy..

a site is a wonderful thing, it takes commitment and lots of hard work.
    Yes, indeed, all too true.

I have a deal of experience with designing and maintaining websites and you'll be glad to know, I've decided to go ahead with it, regardless of the hard work!

It will be focussed on mono machines only (no deji-pachi or Slo's) and will be tested and canvassed by keen helpers here, and elsewhere, before it goes out live. I have some translation work to do first before I proceed, but then I'll be throwing pages past interested eyes for some proofing and agreements. I have started collecting photos from sources already.

I hope it becomes a useful and worthy addition to everything PachTalk already provides to a greatful community.

jon

27. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to candyflip