Thread: homemade nail adjustment tools

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default homemade nail adjustment tools

Here is some pic of my nails adjustment tools.

I bought pliers at the $1 store, and with my dremel and a grinding disk, I made a T shape in the pliers nose, so the head of a nail will fit in the top of the T, and the body of the nail is held down between both pliers tip. It allow me to gently bend the nail if need.

nailsadj_01.jpg

I recommend trying to find pliers without teeth, or grind them so it don't damage the nails

nailsadj_02.jpg

It was hard to check the proper spacing between nails. Trying to hold a ball by hand between two nails usually end up with the ball falling off, or not seeing properly. So I made a gauge to see if a ball go between two nails or not.

nailsadj_03.jpg

I held a pachi ball in metal clamp, because I don't have a vice. Using the dremel and grinder disk, I carved a path all around the ball. I used a metal wire, bent it around the ball in the carved path, bent again the two extra length to join them to make the long handle. I used a little copper wire curved around the two wire of the handle, near the ball to hold the ball in place. I used heat shrinking tube to make the extremity of the handle. It's nice to have the ball at the extremity of a handle about 8" long, to be able to go everywhere, at any angle.

nailsadj_04.jpg

Of course this gauge have a single size, so it is usefull only to see if a ball can go easily or not between two nails. because the metal wire around the ball is not completely hidden in the ball, and make the ball a bit larger where the wire is, it kinda give me two possibility. I can move the ball between the nails, with the metal wire not agains the nail, this give me the real size, the tighter setting for a ball to go between nais, or I can move the gauge with the wire toward the nails, for an extra spacing between nails.

Hope this can give you some ideas.

Cost of the nails adjustment tools (pliers and gauge), about $1.50
    Last edited by TilionMtl; 06-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.

2. The following 48 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl