Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Shower Moment

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My Shower Moment

I tend to do my most 'unusual thinking' in the shower. This morning was no exception. An image came into my brain and I've recreated it below.

A pachinko clock! The image shows the time to be between 10:15 and 10:29. Each tulip pocket marks a 15 minute interval. The 'reels' in the center show the hour (hmmm... maybe an AM/PM indicator is needed). The 'shooter' is controlled from the back with a battery operated motor. At the 15 minute mark, a ball shoots and goes to the far right and opens the 15m tulip. At 30 minutes, the same strength shot and closes the 15 minute but opens the 30 minute. At the 45 minute mark an easy shot is done and the ball opens the 45 minute tulip and closes the 30 minute tulip. At the hour mark, the ball is shot in the middle 'jackpot' pocket which moves the 'reels' one increment and closes the 45 minute pocket. This hour process also rings a bell with a motor and several "clappers" to make a close to authentic jackpot sound. The ball that is shot will always return to the shooter position, thus only one ball is required. Obviously the pins would be arranged to help controll the balls but not so much as to be apparent.

Now, I have the image in my head and shared with you guys, I'd like to get some feed back. How big would be the maximum size you could reasonably want a clock like this? (I don't think the same size as a real machine.) Suggestions on how to 'adjust' the shooter to make the balls shoot consistent enough to go long, go short or go middle. I thought about always having the ball go into the same pocket which would make the process easier, but then it wouldn't react like a real machine. Oh, there would be a switch to 'turn off' the jackpot bell... but maybe have it ring only between certain configurable hours (not during sleep time)?

So.. there it is. Will I build it? I don't know. Depends on time.. which I seem to be short of. Can you build it ... absolutely!

Let me know what you think!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rusty Key

2. The following 16 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My Shower Moment

Rusty, your first mistake was not getting a patent! Awsome idea!!!but it's also an idea that is way out of my league.

I'd love to see anyone try it...you could probably make a fortune selling them in Japan...come to think of it, you could probably make nearly as much selling them on this board...
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think we have a couple of members with a clock made from a cell
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice

where to i send my deposit
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

jano@pachitalk.com

all major forms of payment accepted

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just because i can still see the taillights of the turnip truck does not mean im a total idiot

is american express ok???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

since i am making a reference to something that some of our newer members may not know

Jano, was a Nigerian Email scammer i was sent an email from.

for those that would like a good laugh you can read this thread..
    PachiTalk

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well the tough part would be the consistence. You would have to bend the nails so that you where guaranteed the ball would go into the correct pocket. ...

Or, have the balls shot into a top holding pen, where gravity would feed the ball through a hole (controlled by a slide) at the top. The placement of the hole on the slide at the correct time would drop the ball down the proper side of the machine into the tulip.

Or... just keep all the balls at the top. Having them drop through the same slide towards the correct tulip. Once a ball goes through a tulip, it would activate a sensor that would stop the flow of balls.

Or... have the the shooter controlled by four strength settings. And have it continually shoot balls towards the right tulip until a ball goes through the sensor.

Or...Just take a cell and attach clockworks to it and call it a day.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to johntofva

Thanks
    Thanks Received

and don't forget to get it all patented
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

16. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are exactly right... that's where my idea hangs up the most. I'm thinking that pin placement could do 90% of it.. and have an adjustable catch/release for the hammer to manipulate the ball distance. But, I think I do want to ball to 'fall through' the front in order to more closely emulate a real machine. Great thoughts all... keep'm coming!

Quote Originally Posted by johntofva View Post
    Well the tough part would be the consistence. You would have to bend the nails so that you where guaranteed the ball would go into the correct pocket. ...

Or, have the balls shot into a top holding pen, where gravity would feed the ball through a hole (controlled by a slide) at the top. The placement of the hole on the slide at the correct time would drop the ball down the proper side of the machine into the tulip.

Or... just keep all the balls at the top. Having them drop through the same slide towards the correct tulip. Once a ball goes through a tulip, it would activate a sensor that would stop the flow of balls.

Or... have the the shooter controlled by four strength settings. And have it continually shoot balls towards the right tulip until a ball goes through the sensor.

Or...Just take a cell and attach clockworks to it and call it a day.

So, hang on to your tulips and flippers and such as I may post a 'beg' for them soon.

later!
    Last edited by wrkey; 06-24-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    since i am making a reference to something that some of our newer members may not know

Jano, was a Nigerian Email scammer i was sent an email from.

for those that would like a good laugh you can read this thread..
    PachiTalk

that is a funny azz post sid laughed for 9 pages

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

And Remember to get a Patent for your design and ALSO an OFFERING to the DARK SIDE would be good
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

It sounds like a really cool project, I hope you can make it happen!!

I'm not sure what size would be best...full size would be impressive for sure...we've had at least 3 members make clocks out of both whole machines and just cells, 1 analog with hands and the others digital added were the screens go..all cool, but nothing as involved as your idea...Sorry, I have no tips for ya, but I really hope you can do it!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

here is the one I made
    the

LLTR

22. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Keep the ideas coming! I like the Star Wars clock.. .really cool and I bet you can see that puppy from across the street!

Here's my first design of how the back mechanics would work. I think it should be pretty easy to configure the pins so that balls launched into the same general vicinity would always end up in the same pocket. Then the trick would be to have the hammer be consistant. I came up with a motor/cam design that I think would work. Each 15min the motor would turn one quarter turn and the various sizes of the cam lobes would set the hammer to the right distance for the desired strength of the strike. Fine tuning could be done with the hammer pull spring just like a normal vintage machine.

I may not patent the idea, but I can say it is copyrighted. If someone wants to build it .. I say go for it. If you start selling them, then we'll need to talk... but I don't think there'd be huge money as the market would be pretty limited.

Anyway... just my brain working overtime on the idea!

later,

Rusty
    Rusty Key

24. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd say that your key attribute is not rusty at all. Interesting concept.

Just finished watching "Risky Business" (movie held up well over time) and I'm still waiting for my shower moment.
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Perhaps using a series of switches/gates in the back to activate the tulips, so you don't have to get the ball into the tulip to open it, Ball shoots, goes through the out pocket and hits a series of switches/gates to open each pocket in turn. Another option would be to use one of the mechanical slot reels as the clock mechanism. Would require new reel covers but as the balls shoot the hour reel spins around and finally stops at the correct hour.
    Due to the size of the components I would say 12 inch face is about as small as you want to go
    Jim
    Yellow Cab, Pink Panther, Thunderbirds, Star War, 4 Single Shots, 18 Vintage Machines plus 6 assorted Modern Machines and a Gauntlet Arcade Machine

27. The following user says "Thanks" to jwegger

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have it so that the pins are like normal pachinko pins, lends an aire of randomness. That way, if the ball doesn't go in the tulip, time does not go forward. It could stay 4:45 pm for hours!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    Have it so that the pins are like normal pachinko pins, lends an aire of randomness. That way, if the ball doesn't go in the tulip, time does not go forward. It could stay 4:45 pm for hours!
    Actually, that's exactly what I want to do. But I think it would be better to 5pm as its always ... well.. you know...

Anyway, I figured that if the hammer strike could be made consistant then it would not take that much effort to make the pins LOOK like a Matasura gauge and the ball always ends up where it needs to be. I also wanted to to insure that at least the 30 minute ball which would eventually end up in the very bottom pocket) bounces around a little bit. This extra bit of noise would be the indicator of the 1/2 hour while the jackpot bell reserved for the hour mark.

Now... to find the time...
    Rusty Key

31. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

why not make balls shot till it lands in the intended pocket which in turn would stop the balls from shooting. only bad part would be at 2am a minor glitch causes balls to shoot till you get out of bed and have to unplug the thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast