Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Making of.. a never ending cabinet!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Making of.. a never ending cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by CooCoo4pachinko View Post
    Are there anymore updates on this awsome project?
    Not for now, I'm in my out of the city working season, so probably no upate for a couple of months

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, I'm working again on the cabinet, and I take a minute to update this thread.

I thought my cabinet idea was cool, but I discovered a flaw in my design.

Remember that my cabinet is build in 3 section, making a kind of corner shape.

If the cabinet is build to have some pachinkos at some angle (instead of aligned into a straight line like on a wall), then there's no room for some of them to be open without collide with the one to the left.

The problem is that the bottom tray of the pachinko will hit the knob of the pachinko to the left, if this last one is at an angle of 45 degree or more.

I made a little top-view animation to illustrate the problem. You will see that if I open the middle pachinko, it will collide on the one to the left. The same for the first one to the right of the middle section, it will also collide to the pachinko knob in the middle section if open.

cabinet_flaw01.gif

Hopefully, my cabinet is build with hinges, so it can be unfold to make a straight line (like wall), so if it getting too annoying, I will move everything to place the cabinet in a straight line.

A little update to share with you some error to not redo, hehehehe

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

so, if you build another you will have to leave more space between them

maybe a 15 degees angle instead of straight would be enough??
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Open the other one first?

I see your problem now, need to make more space between individual cabinets. Or at least the one that will normally fit the corner.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

The best solution , Leave the corner space empty or put a little table for snacks and beverage there .

And if you hang the machines you will need spaces on both sides to do a ball dump or open the frame if you don't have a key.
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 11-29-2009 at 04:19 AM.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    so, if you build another you will have to leave more space between them

maybe a 15 degees angle instead of straight would be enough??
    Exactly, well at least the middle section. The other sction don't need more space, so the middle could have about 3 inches each side, instead of the 1.5 inches, it would have been ok I think.

I see your problem now, need to make more space between individual cabinets. Or at least the one that will normally fit the corner.
    Got it compirate. I need to open two pachinko to get acces to one, for the middle part and right part, but it's ok
    Last edited by TilionMtl; 11-29-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Finally got the track junction done between the left part of the cabinet and the middle section, and between the middle and right section of the cabinet.

Because the three section of the cabinet can be unfold, I had to find a way to connect the track from the middle, to the one to each side, but have it "flexible", so if I have to mode the cabinet or unfold it, the track will not crack.

So thank to Moparformances for his idea bout slice of wood glued to cloth, this game me a starting idea.

I used light aluminum sheet, cut and bent to make a track which insert inside the track of the left/right part. This track is made of two part to bend in the middle. I remade it in cardboard to show you, because taking picture of shiny aluminum don't work.

In the previous pic, you can see the two part of the track. Numbered from 1 to 5, I hope you will understand how they "attach" together.
    1 and 2 show each section of the track and how one section overlap the other.

3 show the leg entering the hole in the other track section. this leg is bent outside to prevent the two section from going apart.

4 and 5 show an other leg used to prevent the two section from twisting. this leg slide under a folded piece of the track edge. This folded piece keep the leg under it, but allow it to go in and out when the track is bent.

In the previous pic, the top-left image show a top view of the track, with the leg which go in the hole bent, and the other leg going under the folded edge. bottom-left show the track bent. Notice that the part where the ball lay on is cut in rounded, this is to allow the part to move freely. Right image is to show the track junction installed between the two sections of the cabinet.

and of course, my english is not really good, so nothing better than an animation of the track junction:

10. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for some credit but i dont want any credit for that contraption

that is such a great idea that i have no idea how my role topdesk / breadbox top gave u the idea for that...

Awesome solution... and your english is great
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    ...that is such a great idea that i have no idea how my role topdesk / breadbox top gave u the idea for that...
    Well your idea about slice of wood glued to a cloth is a good idea, and I thought of it at first, then I though I would need something as flexible, but not that much than the track can squeeze the balls and prevent them of rolling down the way, so I thought of using aluminum, and the bend part which is under the folded edge came from your idea, a couple of coffees, many awake nights and some headache heheheh

14. The following user says "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, very cool!!

And once again your pics and animations are the best!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

16. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my only question, why only 5 ? you have another pachinko on the floor
    Like the title states:" never ending cabinet"
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slothappy144 View Post
    my only question, why only 5 ? you have another pachinko on the floor
    Like the title states:" never ending cabinet"
    one on floor??? really??? MOUHAHAHAHAHAAHhhhhhhh (psychotic laught)

humm yeah... one that you can see right there, and two that you can't see behind the cabinet, and an other one in the other room, and an extra cell.

and an other coming...

well only 5 because I don't have enough room to place them all side by side, and the ball lifter will not be enough to handle ten in a row. because of the length, the ball lifter is lower than expected, and the upper tray is higher, so I already need to extend of 25 inches the square tube of the ball lifter which lift the balls.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some updates:

well, before I forgot these, two informations regarding the cabinet.

as seen in this previous post in the photos

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pach...tml#post321617

I build an upper track which distribute balls back to the machines. I thought to make the track not too large so there's no 3, 4 or 5 lines of balls in the track. This way, because there's mostly a single line of balls, fewer balls are in the track waiting, meaning globally fewer balls are needed.

I made an error about this which caused me lotttttttttt of trouble. The track is as large as about a ball and a half, so what's happen because each balls pushing against the one is front is that the balls are aligned in zigzag in the track, and sometime they get stuck. so if you plan to follow this path, make a path that will have a single line of balls, and that the balls don't tend to place in zigzag shape in the track, they need to be nearly aligned one behind the other, so when need the one behind push the one in front in the good way, not toward the side of the track. The other way to do it would have been to have a track large enough for atleast minimum two balls which can go side by side freely.

in the following post:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pach...tml#post321570

you can see the bolt I used to "lock" the bottom of each pachinko, so if the machine is open the bottom will not slide..

Looking at the back of my pachinkos, I drill a hole near the left edge, and the other at the left of the transformer. the transformer in my machine are aligned toward the right. I simply push the machine in the cabinet, open it and let the bolt go down in the hole, the bolt going throw the wood base of the machine and the cabinet. Here goes my second update about this. The idea is good, but the hole for the bolt at the right is most of the time just under the balls lost exit of the machine, so It's hard to have a container or track or something there to cash the balls lost because it would be in the bolt way. So if you follow this idea, check the output for the balls behind the machine, before putting anything near it, which could be a big problem later.

To solve this, I had to build for every machine (because every machine is a bit different) a twisted elevated track which cash the ball, pass over the locking bolt with enough room if needed to pull out the bolt, then twist again to go toward the larger collector track which collect the lost balls from all machine. You will see in a future post what I have done, let just say that each machine's back look like a soccer net hehe.

20. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In the previous message, I describe a track made for each machine which collect the balls and drive them toward the main bottom track. Let call these the balls collectors.

I started using aluminum, thinking it would be a good idea and easy to make a kind of track with, but after a first try and too much twist and turn needed to build the collector, I decided to use plastic canvas founded in craft store. I cut them with scissor and sew the pieces together. it was the easier and faster way to build many collectors.

Here's a first pic of one of the balls collectors.

BallsCollector.jpg

You can see that I made a bottom catcher (the one with the two black side) screwed to the shelf (the one under pachinko) near the back. When a ball fall on it from the collector, it simply redirect it toward the main bottom track. These ones are fixed to the shelves and the pachinkos when inserted in the cabinet simple come toward the back of these catchers.

The other biggest piece is the collector, it have is upper entrance aligned to the balls exit of the machine, then simply collect the balls and let them fall toward the main bottom track.

You will understand in the next picture why the collector is so twisted. It need to avoid the transformer, and the bottom bolt I talk about in the previous message, leave enough room over the bolt so the bolt can be pulled easily if I need to remove the machine from the cabinet.

BallsCollectorAndBolt.jpg

Now with the ball falling and bouncing, I ended up with suicidal balls jumping over the cliff (track).. So here come to the rescue the Anti Suicidal balls catcher.

AntiSuicideBalls.jpg

And here is the a.s.b.c installed and doing the job.

AntiSuicideBallsInstalled.jpg

Each machines have his personalized balls collector because I didn't plan ahead before putting the lock bolt and so on.. so if you do something similar, try to check all your machine, maybe reposition the transformer to the other side instead.. View from the back, it seem that the balls exit is always toward the right, so maybe it could be a good thing to have the power of the machine running along the bottom and going to the left where the transformer would be.

Also, if you use canvas like I have done, you may have to add some inclined edge to kinda give a direction to the falling ball. If you don't and the ball fall without bouncing, the ball can stay on the bottom of the collector. This is why You can see that my collector look to have a path more twisted that it need to be.
    Last edited by TilionMtl; 12-27-2009 at 06:34 AM.

22. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now, I'm at the point where I try to solve the final problem, mainly the balls jams.

These little pest always get stuck somewhere. In the upper distribution tracks, they tend to pile one on the other sometime, instead of making a single row.

I've been forced to use drastic ways to have these out of control pest behaving properly.

On the left track, the left most part of the track always got the balls jam just in front of the solenoid and trap over the machine. So here is the Balls kicker. It literally kick into the balls (no pun intended)

BallsKicker.jpg

When the switch to open the trap is activated, it also activate this balls kicker. This is a little motor with an arm (or leg and foot) which spin and kick the balls, forcing them to continue their path down the track.

Hope all this don't get too boring. feel free to tell me: Hey stop flooding the forum! heheh
    Last edited by TilionMtl; 12-27-2009 at 06:55 AM.

24. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not boring at all, very cool!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

26. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Busy Hands are Happy Hands
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

28. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update:

well, it's appear that my solenoid idea with sliding trap as seen in these post have a flaw:

Making of.. a never ending cabinet! - Page 2

Making of.. a never ending cabinet! - Page 2

When the trap slide to align the hole in the center of the track, the balls falls, when the pedal switch in the machine tray is pushed, the solenoid no longer pull the trap, so the spring bring back the trap to the close position.

I use Plexiglas so it slide well, but because the Plexiglas have some thickness, this thickness sometime stuck a ball half way when falling and the trap is closing. Here is an animation of the problem:

trap_ball_jam_anim.gif

Look at the following picture, an imagine I was playing on machine number one, and when the hopper tray of the machine was refilled and the trap close back, a ball jam. Now I switch to machine number 2, and oops, no ball go down to machine number two because one ball is stuck by the trap of number one.

trap_ball_jam_view.gif

So, all this to say that if you ever do the same trap sliding method, make the edges of the hole in the trap at angle like in the next photo, so the ball will have less chance to get stuck. Or use a thinner material for the trap.

trap_ball_jam_solving.jpg

Of course, this problem don't really happen often, but imagine when the back of the cabinet is closed and you can't access the problem easily or quickly. For my cabinet, it would be too much trouble to redo the five traps, so what I will do is install an emergency button, and when pressed, this button with force the five traps to open and close. It will be easier for me this way.

30. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As Compirate suggests, I also add a small light for each trap. these light are just over the machine, and light up when the trap is activate. they are light control to show me if something goes wrong. For example, if the trap stay open (light turned on) for a long time, I know it's because the hopper tray with the pedal switch which control the trap is still empty, so something must be jammed and the track dont bring balls to the trap for this machine..

Thank-you compirate for the idea of the lights.

32. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow super neat corner arrangement! I must admit you put a great pachi in the center spot!
    Pachislo: Fire Drift , NEO Pharaoh Zetz
    Pachinko: New Art Masterpiece , Julie The Pinball, Top Gun, Indiana Jones, Lassen, STAR WARS, na na na na na na na BATMAAAN

34. The following user says "Thanks" to swissmr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast