Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Making of.. a never ending cabinet!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Making of.. a never ending cabinet!

Molding for the center section...

Because the three sections are held together with hinges, and all the cabinet can be unfold in a straight line to make a wall, the vertical molding near the center could not be fixed. Here is an top view animation of the "unfolding". In gray are the cabinet sections, in brown the molding.

moulure_topview_anim.gif

In the following picture, to the left is the in between sections which the molding hide. On the right is a view of how I made the molding adjustable.

I use a many bands of Velcro, stapled to the back of the molding. at the top, middle and bottom. Each Velcro made two arms which will be inserted in the opening between the sections.

In the next picture you will see that I also used cutted Popsicle stick, glued to the molding, so when the molding is in place, the molding cannot slide to left or to right, always staying aligned in front of the opening between sections.

moulure2.jpg

The Velcro "arms" as been fold and inserted into the opening.

A note about stapling the Velcro: Not good enough. the Velcro on the molding for my cabinet need to also be glued using Gorilla glue. Because the Orientation of the Velcro, the force applied to hold the molding in place is directly in the same direction as the staples, so the staples came out. I had to shave the Velcro, glue it and stable it back to the molding.

On the next picture, you will see the two "arms" coming on the back by the opening, and attached to the other Velcro side, stapled on the cabinet beams. These little piece of Velcro did not have to be glued because the force applied to them are not in the same direction as the staples.

moulure3.jpg

And here is the result of the molding, held against the opening by the Velcro.

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tilion, that has to be one of the most ingenious cabinet designs I've ever seen, especially with that folding wall part

You certainly threw yourself in at the deep end making a multi-cabinet all in one go, I'm sure that would scare anyone, but it turned out amazing!!

and I agree that your woodworking skills are superb!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now the unfinished balls distribution system...

Because the pachinko can be open to have access to the electronic, I had to find a way to have the payout tray filled when empty, but not let the balls fall on ground when opening the pachinko. At first I thought to use a manual trap, but I know for sure some day I would forgot to close the trap before opening the pachinko, and the balls would be all over the floor. So I thought of something else...

In the next picture you will see the "pedal" type switch, used to stop the balls distribution to the payout tray. This idea was taken from the balls lifter, and made using aluminum sheet.

pedal_switch.jpg

The pedal switch, when released because there's no balls pushing on it, will activate a trap just over the payout tray, filling it with ball. In the next pic, this is the mechanism and the path just over the payout tray.

This trap is made using a solenoid, which when electricity is applied, will pull a trap toward itself. the trap have a hole in it, so when the trap is pulled, the hole come to the center of the path, and the balls fall in the hole to the payout tray. When the payout tray is filled with balls, the balls weight push the pedal switch, preventing the electricity to activate the solenoid. The trap with the hole is pulled back to it original position using a spring.

Solenoid: A solenoid is a coil of electric wire, and when electricity is applied to it, it create magnetism. A pin is in the middle of this coil, and when the coil is magnetized, the pin will be pulled to the center of the coil, when there's no more electricity to energize the coil, the pin is free to be pulled out from the center of the coil.

Note about solenoid: I bought some solenoid, 6v not really long coil, about 1 1/4 inches. these coil doesn't work. First 6v is not a lot of there is some Resistance holding the pin back, like in my method, held back by a spring. Also, the length was not enough. Some part of the pin need to already in the coil, the more of the pin in it, the better, because the magnetism will have something to grab on. Remember that the pin must be at minimum 11mm (balls size) out of the coil, so the pin and coil need to be long enough. Just try holding a magnet and a nail far away, the magnet don't have enough power to pull the nail, but if the nail is closer, the better the magnetic field will work. So my solenoids was not long enough, I had to buy other longer solenoids. The one used are 2.5 inches long. 24volt. I used a 24v 1000ma transformer to have enough power.

The next pic show two solenoids, one over each pachinkos payout tray.

trap2.jpg

Some animations: The next two animated pictures are the pedal switch and the solenoids with trap.

I used Plexiglas for the trap because it create less friction against the wood of the balls path

6. The following 20 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Beautiful work Tilion!!

WOW WOW WOW!!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW I'm speechless

10. The following user says "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by TilionMtl View Post

Actually, the back is not the first thing we can see when we enter the basement. Here is a pic of the finished front, without the pachis installed. Some lights on top give a nice warm accent to the cabinet, shining on chromed parts of the pachinkos and chair. Humm, I sound like an IKEA ad. lol.

Hmmmm... an IKEA Ad... the best part about IKEA is the names of the furniture. What will you call your cabinet?

I really loved how thoroughly you described this project Tilion. The things that worked well and those that didn't and how you learned from the ones that didn't and shared the fixes you came up with.

It is a really great project, executed well and great looking too. You should be VERY proud of yourself! Bragging rights well earned! Bravo!
    Dawn

12. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dattia View Post
    Hmmmm... an IKEA Ad... the best part about IKEA is the names of the furniture. What will you call your cabinet?

I really loved how thoroughly you described this project Tilion. The things that worked well and those that didn't and how you learned from the ones that didn't and shared the fixes you came up with.

It is a really great project, executed well and great looking too. You should be VERY proud of yourself! Bragging rights well earned! Bravo!
    ahh there's the words... like she said

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice design and construction. Thanks for all the detailed photos and descriptions.
    Jim
    Yellow Cab, Pink Panther, Thunderbirds, Star War, 4 Single Shots, 18 Vintage Machines plus 6 assorted Modern Machines and a Gauntlet Arcade Machine

16. The following user says "Thanks" to jwegger

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

So your saying that the solenoid is only active to fill the hopper? Otherwise I'd be concerned with the duty cycle of the solenoid.

Great work, by the way!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

18. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    So your saying that the solenoid is only active to fill the hopper? Otherwise I'd be concerned with the duty cycle of the solenoid.

Great work, by the way!
    Yes compirate, the switch in the pedal do an opposite effect. the micro switch in the pedal is connected on the Normally Open pins.

When the micro switch is released because not enough balls are pushing on the pedal in the payout tray, energy is applied to solenoid, solenoid pull trap and align hole in the middle of the distribution track. The balls falls in payout tray, fill it until enough balls push the pedal down, this stop energize the solenoid, the spring pull back the trap, moving the hole in the trap outside the path.

Thank-you compirate, this remember me of a note to add...

Important note when using solenoids: Doing it the opposite way is not a good idea. Energizing the solenoid to keep the trap constantly close, and stop energizing it to pull the trap using a spring to open the trap is not a good idea because the solenoid will become really hot after a minute. So the only real way to do it is energize the solenoid to open the trap momentarily to fill the tray, only during the shorter moment of the open/close trap cycle.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe you need a paddle switch in the upper feed hopper that feeds the machines so that in the event that's empty it cuts the power to the solenoid so it won't burn up.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

22. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dattia View Post
    hahahaha, didn't thought about it, any suggestion? hehehe.

A funny thing to know is that against the back of the right section of the cabinet will be two bookcases from IKEA, where we will put our DVD collection, hehehe. We thought of the Billy model at first, but will go with the Besta because they have less depth than the Billy model.

More about it later, the upper feeder central part still in construction and give me headache. It's behind the central section, a path go to the left and one to the right, but I need to find something to connect the central paths to the two larger sections path. because my cabinet can be unfold, I need to find something which can be unfold in some way too.. not completely fixed.
    Last edited by TilionMtl; 07-01-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

how about leaving the bottum of the track as one solid piece wider then needed and for the back and front of the ball tracks make thme like u would a roll top desk..'

gluse several strips of wood to a cloth back.. able to bend at any angle.. the front and back would simply slid accross the wider flat bottum.. just an idea
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

a crude animation of the pedal action with the solenoid and trap.

26. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

if you are looking ot link the ball paths with somthing that will fold but still carry balls to the machine may i sudgest the same as i used on all my ball paths and that is flexable waste pipe used for plumbing
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

28. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

that is a wonderful cabinet tilion, very well built

30. The following user says "Thanks" to mcknli7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by drcrippen324 View Post
    if you are looking ot link the ball paths with somthing that will fold but still carry balls to the machine may i sudgest the same as i used on all my ball paths and that is flexable waste pipe used for plumbing
    I saw some tubing at the home hardware store, but not easy to go from square path to tube to square path.. also the tubing I fond is not that flexible.

Do you recommend one in particular?

The idea from Moparformances about gluing slice of wood to clothe can give some idea too..

32. The following user says "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

ahh i used round tube all the way but i supose if you used a round tube bigger than the square tube leading ot it then you would slip the round tube over the square and there wouldent be an blocage and then let the round tube run on to the next peace of tube then there wouldent be any blocage on that end eaither
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

34. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well T. ,

Very nice an Well thought out design . Your going in the right direction
    Your going to have me do a full posting of the cabinet that i started in 06 and finished 07 new years day . The Free Standing , leg screw leveling , Powered Ventalation , Both side door access , 2 cell drawer, Pachinko Single cabinet .

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

36. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

SCOOBYDOO_2002 - BEWARE!!!! CooCoo4pachinko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are there anymore updates on this awsome project?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast