Thread: Making of.. a never ending cabinet!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Making of.. a never ending cabinet!

Molding for the center section...

Because the three sections are held together with hinges, and all the cabinet can be unfold in a straight line to make a wall, the vertical molding near the center could not be fixed. Here is an top view animation of the "unfolding". In gray are the cabinet sections, in brown the molding.

moulure_topview_anim.gif

In the following picture, to the left is the in between sections which the molding hide. On the right is a view of how I made the molding adjustable.

I use a many bands of Velcro, stapled to the back of the molding. at the top, middle and bottom. Each Velcro made two arms which will be inserted in the opening between the sections.

In the next picture you will see that I also used cutted Popsicle stick, glued to the molding, so when the molding is in place, the molding cannot slide to left or to right, always staying aligned in front of the opening between sections.

moulure2.jpg

The Velcro "arms" as been fold and inserted into the opening.

A note about stapling the Velcro: Not good enough. the Velcro on the molding for my cabinet need to also be glued using Gorilla glue. Because the Orientation of the Velcro, the force applied to hold the molding in place is directly in the same direction as the staples, so the staples came out. I had to shave the Velcro, glue it and stable it back to the molding.

On the next picture, you will see the two "arms" coming on the back by the opening, and attached to the other Velcro side, stapled on the cabinet beams. These little piece of Velcro did not have to be glued because the force applied to them are not in the same direction as the staples.

moulure3.jpg

And here is the result of the molding, held against the opening by the Velcro.

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl