Thread: Three Star Pachinko - Vintage Machine - Hear of it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Three Star Pachinko - Vintage Machine - Hear of it?

Has anyone heard of the Three Star vintage pachinko machine? There is one for sale near me for $60. Sounds like it needs some work. I don't know anything about them, but I'm pretty handy/mechanical. Are these vintage models easy to fix? Is it worth getting to tinker with?

Has anyone heard of this model? Seller says it's rare.
    Elvira Pinball, Devil May Cry, Exhaust, Speed Racer,Looney Tunes Mahrajah Basement/Club where my pachis live...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Three Star Pachinko - Vintage Machine - Hear of it?

Generally I would say yes they are easy to fix. I am not sure about this one without pics of the front and back but unless parts are broken beyond repair or missing, you should be able to bring new life to the machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by kkentert View Post
    Has anyone heard of the Three Star vintage pachinko machine? There is one for sale near me for $60. Sounds like it needs some work. I don't know anything about them, but I'm pretty handy/mechanical. Are these vintage models easy to fix? Is it worth getting to tinker with?

Has anyone heard of this model? Seller says it's rare.
    First of all, they ALL think their particular model is rare!

Next, the seller isn't showing pictures of the back; before you invest more time into driving out there to check it out, you may want to get the seller to email you pictures of the back...

Third, it is a single shooter, single ball feed machine...and I personally like these machines...I have a machine similar to yours (I've got a picture on my profile...I took off the ball tray before I took the photo)...these machines do seem to be a bit harder to find in good condition...the pictures that are shown indicate that the machine SEEMS to be in OK condition...PLEASE NOTICE one of the "Winner Pockets" on the bottom left side of the cell is broken...you will have to achieve some sort of fix for that (or find someone who is scrapping a machine...you'd probably need two so that you would have a match on both sides).

Until you can see the back, $60 would seem strong to me...especially in light of the broken pocket. Assuming the back is in good shape however, I'd start in the $35 range...maybe go as high as $45...$50 at the most...but hey, that's me. There was a time that I would have paid $60...not now.

If you WANT the machine, make the deal that will get it in your garage...$60 isn't horrible. But, don't REACH for a machine that you are marginally interested in. There are more deals out there that magically come available from time to time...you just have to be patient. Personally when I started my addiction, I reached for several machines and paid much more for them than I should have in retrospect.

My first 4 or so machines cost me an average of $80-$90.

I got my last machine on ebay for $15 (a functional modern-classic Sankyo)

These are my stories and opinions only...good luck to you as you form your own buying standards. Let us know if you get the machine.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree completely with BirdDog!

While the single shot machines are more 'rare' than the multishot ones, there still seems to be an abundance of them out there. If the machine is close, I suggest you go look at it and if not I wouldn't move on it unless I had clear photos of the back to insure it has 95% of the components needed to make it work.

I can't see the photos (if there are any) as my work firewall blocks most photo posting sites. If you use the photo posting feature found here under the 'Go Advanced' button, I (and others) could see them.

On a side note, as a relatively new member here it's good to see your high level of participation and I am confident that before long, you too will be answering more post that you are making request! (This means the sickness is deepening!)
    Rusty Key

6. The following user says "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

LOL- It's starting to happened. Helped a guy fix his non-paying pachinko last night with a youtube video of mine I linked him to. :-)

Luckily, the machine is only 15 minutes from my house, but I won't be able to look at it for a couple weeks as I'm out of town.

I could upload the CL ad pics, but it wouldn't help much,. they're pretty small.
    Elvira Pinball, Devil May Cry, Exhaust, Speed Racer,Looney Tunes Mahrajah Basement/Club where my pachis live...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with all the others on needing to see the back of the machine before you buy. I've picked single shots up for between $10 and $40 each her in LA.

The one thing you need to consider on a single shot is that many of them are not all plastic parts in the back and have metal instead, usually thin metal that gets bent easily, so you may need to do some metal work as well as cleaning to get it working properly.

But they are generally easy to work on and remeber if you do end up picking this one or another one up to restore a digital camera is your best friend.
    Jim
    Yellow Cab, Pink Panther, Thunderbirds, Star War, 4 Single Shots, 18 Vintage Machines plus 6 assorted Modern Machines and a Gauntlet Arcade Machine

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to jwegger

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that's true-I'm sure there are one or two people here that hae fixed little things. ;-)
    I'm sure a pic will help with diagnosis.
    I'll go see how it is. Maybe if it's in bad shape he'll take $20.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a Three Star (its a foot away from me right now actually). They seem to be very well built.. I have 3 pachinkos and I have to say it is the best one out of all of them, although I cannot find too much information about them online.

I would put it on par with the Nishijin that I have in that the parts are easy to work on if there is any problems whereas the Sophia I have is mostly parts stapled to the wood, not intended to be messed with much. If the one you are looking at turns out to be in decent condition I wouldnt hesitate to grab it (assuming it comes with some balls for that price).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

pic please
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Three Star Pachinko - Vintage Machine - Hear of it?

Quote Originally Posted by hanyou View Post
    I have a Three Star (its a foot away from me right now actually). They seem to be very well built.. I have 3 pachinkos and I have to say it is the best one out of all of them, although I cannot find too much information about them online.

I would put it on par with the Nishijin that I have in that the parts are easy to work on if there is any problems whereas the Sophia I have is mostly parts stapled to the wood, not intended to be messed with much. If the one you are looking at turns out to be in decent condition I wouldnt hesitate to grab it (assuming it comes with some balls for that price).
    Welcome to PachiTalk hanyou!!

We would love to see a pic of your Three Star if possible...

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks

Picture isnt that great, other angles lead to lensflare though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to hanyou

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, that cell looks really cool!!

Could you maybe try a pic of the cell with the front/glass open??

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

18. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hmmm. I had not seen a three star before, but the mechanism seems to be similar to the sanyo. have they come down in price from $60?

if the face of the cell is a design that you really like, and it is not waterstained, you could go $40-50. but, it there are parts missing on the back, try to get them down to $25.

as big dog steve said, when we're newer to this, they all look unique. then, after buying several for $50, you start seeing them "everywhere".

p.s. if you eventually want a single shot, I have a nice ginza that is a spare. I could get it out to you in new jersey, shipped, for $65.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yes i agree nice looking play field

kkentert did u pick your three star??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead