Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Volume Control

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Best Volume Control

So does everyone agree I should get the 15w 8ohm L-Pad from parts express?
    Parts-Express.com: L-Pad 15W Stereo 1" Shaft 8 Ohm | tweeters tweeter stereo pad PA network mounting midrange L-Pads l-pad l pad Crossovers ads 8 ohm

It's stereo, so I can wire both speakers to it, and it's only $9.

Outdorrenth - This was number 2 in your list.

WIRE CONNECTORS - BTW - I found them at the electronics supply store under the "phone wiring" section. Packs of 6 for pretty cheap. OMG- they're so much more convenient than soldering everything. (It's been a while since I've done wiring, so I totally forgot these existed!)
    Elvira Pinball, Devil May Cry, Exhaust, Speed Racer,Looney Tunes Mahrajah Basement/Club where my pachis live...

2. The following user says "Thanks" to kkentert

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The L pad from parts express did not work well for my Olympia Las Vegas. I ended up using the small volume controls from FTK on ebay and here at pachitalk. They go from really loud to a just a whisper just what I wanted. The parts express L pad even at its lowest setting was too loud. You do need to know how to solder with the FTK controls... By the way shipping is more than the part from parts express. If you want the L pad you can have it for $5 plus shipping just pm me...
    Last edited by looney2; 09-24-2009 at 02:12 AM.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to looney2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by looney2 View Post
    The L pad from parts express did not work well for my Olympia Las Vegas. I ended up using the small volume controls from FTK on ebay and here at pachitalk. They go from really loud to a just a whisper just what I wanted. The parts express L pad even at its lowest setting was too loud. You do need to know how to solder with the FTK controls... By the way shipping is more than the part from parts express. If you want the L pad you can have it for $5 plus shipping just pm me...
    I can't believe they didn't work! I'm sorry! All 3 machines I put them in also go from really loud to a whisper. That said, I don't think I've heard anyone say that FTK's didn't work for them. Since he's a pachitalk member, I probably should have gotten his and tried them first, but I thought I was doing things the "proper" way with the LPAD.

Anyway, sorry again it didn't work for you. I'm glad FTK's did. Are you certain you wired the LPADs properly?

OH! Quick thought as I could see myself doing something like this - are you sure you didn't wire the L-PAD so that one speaker was wired properly and the other was wired backward? In that case, 10 would be LOUD, 5 would be Meium and 1 would be LOUD - essentially removing 1 as an option.
    Elvira Pinball, Devil May Cry, Exhaust, Speed Racer,Looney Tunes Mahrajah Basement/Club where my pachis live...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a question regarding pots as well. Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Hopefully someone can help me out though. I recently acquired a Digi Flush pachislo machine. There are two volume adjustor dip switches on the circuit board. But as all of you are familiar, there are only three settings: loud, extra loud, and my ears are bleeding loud. So I'm attempting to install a volume control like everyone else here. From everything I've read, it sounds like the L-Pad is the way to go. But before I jump on that, I just want to make sure its the right fit for me, and will work. Ok, so in my machine theres three speakers. There's two on the top that produce most of the sound. These two speakers say 8Ω 10W on them. Then there is another speaker on the bottom of the door. This one does most of the base noises. This speaker says 8Ω 20W on it. So far I've tried two normal potentiometers from Radio Shack. First I tried this one. I wanted to hook up both of the top speakers to it. I did this but adjusting the audio level went from 100% down to 1% with the smallest turn. There was no levels in between. So I also tried this pot, on a single speaker instead. Same thing. I only tried these pots because they were available locally, and I didn't have to order them online. But it seems like they're not going to work. I don't personally get why not, but I'm pretty certain I wired them up correctly. So if they don't work, then I guess they just don't work!

Before I cave in and just get an L-Pad, I have a few questions... With L-Pad's, I am going to need two of them right?
    One Stereo one, like this, to control the top two speakers. And then one mono one, like this, to control the bottom one speaker.
    Does that sound correct? There's no way to combine these three into one L-Pad or pot, is there? Minimum there will be two of them? I don't have a huge problem with two volume knobs, but just want to make sure there's no way around it.

And based on the watts and Ohms and all that, the two L-Pads I have linked above should work for me, right? I just don't want to order them just to find out they don't work.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What's a L-pads

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Larryh314
    Just click on the link on post #21 of this thread, and it will take you to a site with descriptions of the L-pad Attenuator (volume control)
    I've never met a Pachi I didn't like

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got a l pad for my Olympia Las Vegas. Works great.
    Last edited by ishboo4343; 10-27-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just beware. This thing is huge.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hate to bring it back again, but does anyone know if an L-Pad would work on a 1 speaker setup? Mine just has one lower speaker. I'm looking for a fool proof way to wire up a volume control knob.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by teamhex View Post
    Hate to bring it back again, but does anyone know if an L-Pad would work on a 1 speaker setup? Mine just has one lower speaker. I'm looking for a fool proof way to wire up a volume control knob.
    I still love this style.. but i have never used the pre wired ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volume-Cont...ss!95619!US!-1

i usually buy these 2 or 3 at a time

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volume-Co...ss!95619!US!-1
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Perfect! Thanks for that link. It nothing fancy, but it's easily adjustable with a small screw driver. It will likely be adjusted once and never again so that works for me.
    I'm hoping it gets rid of some of the Sammy squeal noise when I turn it down.

My machine has 3 positions for volume, which setting should it be on? Loudest?

15. The following user says "Thanks" to teamhex

Thanks
    Thanks Received

L-Pad should work just fine, but I also use the ones that Mopar supplied links to, and they also work ok too

turn them carefully... they have weak "stops"
    Last edited by rubberratt; 02-19-2020 at 06:40 PM.

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

17. The following user says "Thanks" to rubberratt

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My machine has 3 positions for volume, which setting should it be on? Loudest?
    yes max volume
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    yes max volume
    Christmas

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by rubberratt View Post
    L-Pad should work just fine, but I also use the ones that Mopar supplied links to, and they also work ok too

turn them carefully... they have weak "stops"
    Good to know. Would hate to break it the first time I adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    yes max volume
    Thanks.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to teamhex

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So since I am new to this forum, My Pachislo Divers machine is quite loud and want to be able to adjust the volume lower. From what I am reading, the potentiometer from Parts Express is the one to buy. These are L-pads and have no clue to what a L-pad is!
    #260-250 with the 1" shaft or #260-248 with the 3/8' shaft. I going to mount it on the bottom of the wood base of the machine with maybe double back tape. Guess I have to try the switch with the 3 settings on the volume board which gives me the best volume control. Right now the speaker is unplugged from the board. Silence is golden but some sound is what I want to enhance using the slot machine. I did get a response about the single type or the 6 pack type from ebay that adjusts with a screwdriver but someone mentioned they will eventually burn up. I like the L-pad design with a black dial.

Any help/insight would be appreciated and Thank you.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Captnkraft

Thanks
    Thanks Received

These should work for you. I've had different styles and brands of lower watt capacities that have burned up after a long time of use. Do let us know what you think of these after using them a while.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Going to order from Parts Express the 15 watt 8 ohm Lpads and will get 3/4 " shaft part# 260-248 and get 1" shaft part# 260-250. This way I have 1 of each considering their shipping is the price of one Lpad.
    When I get them, install and use, I will respond back here. Just want some lower volume while playing.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Captnkraft

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ear plugs or what they do in Japan they put pachinko balls in their ears ( I wouldn't)
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I ordered 2 of the 3/8" shaft 15 watt 8 ohm L-pad switch #260-248 from Parts Express and should have them by Monday. I did order 2 of the 1/4" shaft 500 ohm 1/2 watt potientometer # 023-500 as well just to have them. From what I read here, the low wattage ones do not last long. I'll probably use those on my train club's O gauge layout for lighting.
    When I do install the L-pad on the 1 speaker in my Divers king of ocean type A machine, I will post my results.

Quote Originally Posted by Captnkraft View Post
    Going to order from Parts Express the 15 watt 8 ohm Lpads and will get 3/4 " shaft part# 260-248 and get 1" shaft part# 260-250. This way I have 1 of each considering their shipping is the price of one Lpad.
    When I get them, install and use, I will respond back here. Just want some lower volume while playing.

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Captnkraft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast