Thread: opinions on an ebay cabinet

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default opinions on an ebay cabinet

What does everyone think of this?:

NEW Arcade Candy Cabinet - 29" Monitor - Jamma wired - eBay (item 270389230529 end time Jun-10-09 13:23:42 PDT)

I have had a sit down cabinet on my mind for a while...but I've never seen any for sale new. I have a fear of buying any arcade machines without seeing them with my own eyes (I fear burn in). This being new takes that problem away.

I was wondering what people thought about the price, features, and look of the cabinet. I will be putting a XXXX in 1 PCB in it that I now have in an old street fighter 2 cabinet. So this cabinat also suits my need of having a 2 joystick 6 button per stick layout.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: opinions on an ebay cabinet

I've seen shipping cost on other cabinets run 200.00 to almost 500.00, when you factor that in it looks like a good deal.

unless you can find something locally.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks very Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. I like it!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like a plastic cab... which means it will look good for about 5 years then the white plastic starts to turn yellow. This the only problem with those white cabs. If you are running a neo geo board this one also does not have headphone jacks or a memory card reader. I know this because I bought a neo candy jamma machine that was fairly new and it turned yellow. I also have the old neo geo mv4 cabinet that is all metal and it looks as good as the day I got it. You can probably find metal sit downs which mostly came with the 29" monitor on NEO GEO sites... Good Luck

5. The following user says "Thanks" to looney2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just bought the cabinet. The seller has been more than helpful with answering all of my questions.

The monitor is only a 15 KHZ monitor which is considered standard resolution...but I found a new 29" 31 KHZ monitor that should *fingers crossed* fit the cabinet. The new monitor is considered high res and will be $250 new.

So it's going to be $1250 for a new cabinet with a new 29" high res monitor. I have my original Asteroids machine for sale $400 and my original 1069 in 1 cabinet listed for $600 (on craigslist) to make room and recoup some of the cost. I will also have to rebuy another 1069 in 1 unit...but I will also have the new 29" standard res monitor I can sell.

It's a whole lot of buying and sell but I think I'll be satisfied with it when I get it all done. I'll keep you posted.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to DugFreez

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by looney2 View Post
    It looks like a plastic cab... which means it will look good for about 5 years then the white plastic starts to turn yellow. This the only problem with those white cabs. If you are running a neo geo board this one also does not have headphone jacks or a memory card reader. I know this because I bought a neo candy jamma machine that was fairly new and it turned yellow. I also have the old neo geo mv4 cabinet that is all metal and it looks as good as the day I got it. You can probably find metal sit downs which mostly came with the 29" monitor on NEO GEO sites... Good Luck
    The actual cabs he is selling are gray and white. The body is mostly gray and white control panel and monitor frame. The big cone marquee on top is also white and orange...but I'm not even sure if I'm going to keep that on there. If the plastic turns yellow (I live in a smoke free house) I would think some Novus would clean it up. I got a Lumina pachinko frame a couple of weeks ago that was almost solid yellow...after a little Novus it was glistening white.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to DugFreez

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a site with info on converting to Mame.

Connecting MAME to a JAMMA arcade cabinet

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGoodBurn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoodBurn View Post
    Here is a site with info on converting to Mame.

Connecting MAME to a JAMMA arcade cabinet
    I thought about going the MAME route instead of the 1069 in 1 but I decided against it. MAME is much more flexible, but also a good bit my complicated when it comes to getting it setup in a cabinet.

I'm afraid if I bought a PC to put in a MAME cabinet I would spend much more time upgrading, configuring, updating, installing new roms, tinkering...than I would playing games. The 1069 in 1 is a good mix of emulation, simplicity, and the arcade feel.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by looney2 View Post
    I just found a thread on another forum talking about a cleaner that has been formulated to whiten yellowing plastic.

Retr0Bright - home

It was developed by retro gamers and chemists to reverse the yellowing process. You actually mix the cleaning gel yourself and it's supposed to work wonders. The article also mentions what causes the yellowing in the first place (a flame retardant that is in the plastic plus UV rays). After reading this...I feel pretty confident that I won't have to worry about me cab yellowing to quickly since I will have it in a very dark room. It also said that armor all is good for protecting them from the UV rays that cause yellowing.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to DugFreez

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been busy, but finally got around to getting my Chinese Candy cab finished up. To be honest there isn't a whole lot left of the cabinet I bought on ebay.

I replaced the new standard res monitor that was included for a new VGA res monitor.

I replaced the joysticks and buttons with Seimitsu controls from Lizard Lick Amusements.

I rewired most of the electrical system to make the cabinet more powerstrip / 1069 in 1 friendly.

Added a couple of ventilation fans to keep it cool.

I put in a 50w HP PC speaker system for stereo and better sound with the 1069 in 1.

...and I installed a 1069 in 1 board in it.

Most of these things weren't necessary but I wanted to get it setup the way I really wanted it to be.

After selling the new monitor that came with the cabinet, selling my Asteroids cabinet, and selling my old 1069 in 1 cabinet (generic 19" monitor cab), and buying all of the new parts and a new 1069 in 1 board...the cabinet upgrade ended up and cost me about $650.

I'm happy with it and don't think what I paid and traded was a bad price for a brand new cabinet with all new parts. It may be a cheap Chinese clone, but it looks nice and plays great. Adding the CPO, marquees, and side art really make it look a lot better than the pictures that the seller posted on ebay did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hanabi; 08-11-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: pics

16. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to DugFreez

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool, very nice!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

18. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

very pretty indeed

20. The following user says "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very slick!! Congrats!!
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

Thanks
    Thanks Received

These candy cabs are actually very popular in actual arcades. Now trying to find one of those in the US can be a chore but they are used throughout Japan, China and much of the rest of Asia. Your original price was pretty on target. In the end considering what you sold I think that you did okay. Personally I'd hate to part with an Asteroids machine but you have an Arcade ready candy cab there. Nice job. Also nice work avoiding MAME on this one. I have a MAME cab and it has its place but on a pretty new Jamma cab you definitely made the right choice.

Cheers,

Bob
    Bob's Tiki BarCade: Home to Arcade Machines, Pachis, Collectibles, and a Massive amount of Polynesian Kitsch. All together in one room.....because that's the only place she'll let me keep it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice cabinet! I was eying those up when they first came on Ebay. I was lucky and found a guy on Craiglist selling one. I ended up trading him for a Betabrite LED sign I had laying around. Mine is Korean machine from what research I did. I ended up repainting the whole thing. I'm now finally getting a new monitor for it this week. Hewre are some before and after pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Custom Star Wars R2D2 Edition

24. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to devospeed