Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pinball Restoration Jurassic Park

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pinball Restoration (Jurassic Park)

Quote Originally Posted by drcrippen324 View Post
    well today something a little different

Flame Polishing 101

on pinball machines unfortunately the manufacturers choose to make most of the ramps on modern machines out of clear plastic / acrylic therefor they look fantastic new clear bright and sparkling allowing loads of light through from the flashers and bulbs they install underneath but you know whats coming...

after alot of play the pinballs tend to leave tiny scratches on these ramps and over time turn them from clear to hazy and opaque therefor to restore a machine to top condition these scratches have to be removed alot of you will think i reached for the novus polish again (that i swear by so much) Wrong where novus will remove light scratches it wont remove deep warn in ball marks the only way to do this is A0 buy a new ramp as new old stock or B) use a technique called flame polishing and being on a tight budget and been a fan of the good ol trusty blow torch you can guess wich one i plumped for

in the pinball restoration forums ect they claim any one who flame polishes to be either highly skilled or plain insane (depending on who you talk to) as 1 false move or laps of concentration = bent, bubbled, melted plastics or a fire ball and all three in your hands leaving you in pain out of pocket and searching for usually rare parts from old machines

so without further ado heres a quick video lesson in flame polishing please note not for those with a nervous disposition about damaging pinball machines and before you ask yes this is how i removed alot of scraches from plastics and plastic bulb covers on my pachis

Hey you beat me to making a flame polishing vid! I have been looking for old worn ramps to use for the vid but havent found any yet!
    Led Zepplin

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pinball Restoration (Jurassic Park)

sorry couldent resist the temptation to play with fire on camera
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2