Thread: LCD is on, no lights, power problem?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question LCD is on, no lights, power problem?

Hi All,

After much lurking around the site for quite some time I've finally registered, unfortunately its taken a problem for me to actually get to it and register

I've just bought a Lord of The Rings Pachinko which according to daverob's PDF guide (which is a fine piece of work by the way) is on the Victory Frame.

After spending a good few hours cleaning her up I decided to fire her up. I plugged it into my 24v transformer (which normally runs my King Pulsar pachislo) and hit the on button.

Sadly, nothing much seems to happen.

The LCD screen is on (with interference type lines but no Gandalf!).
    No lights on the front of the machine are on.
    There is no code in the LCD error code display.
    The fuse on the left (by the on/off switch) is fine. Its a 250v 10A fuse.
    The fuse next to the dongle is fine (125v 1A fuse)
    The 10 LEDs near the on/off button are NOT all on - the manual suggests they should be, but LD4 , LD7 and LD10 are NOT on - the rest are.

I've jiggled and jangled and reseated everything I can get my hands on but to no avail.

I'm thinking it may be a dud

Is there anything else I could try? I've scoured the forums and i'm getting worried that the problem may be with the power board

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

I have a Star Wars machine but its on a different frame and has a chassis mounted transformer.

Heres a dancing banana to attract attention

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: LCD is on, no lights, power problem?

could it be the dongle?

the banana worked...

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Sid,

I pulled out the dongle and gave it a good blow (never thought I'd say those words) just in case. It's firmly seated too.

Nothing looks burnt out, no funny smells.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Sid,

I've taken the dongle out and blown it etc, reseated it and it's firm.

Was just wondering, the transformer I'm using is 24v 5A - it might be that the machine is under powered?

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lightbulb Re: LCD is on, no lights, power problem?

I think you are on the right track thinking its a transformer issue. Perhaps it is underpowered.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to DrDark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i dont think its the power supply. my LOTR has a 24v 5a for power. if you feel comfortable you can pull the power supply from your star wars just to do a check.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to djcasper_bpm

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After turning it on, Press the white button on the bottom left of the frame near the ash tray. Usually, this is on when starting up, it allows you to do a light test. All the lights around the Victory frame will follow a chasing pattern.
    I have the same machine...My transformer is24V / 5VA
    Never had a problem with power. If you can...take a volt meter to what is coming out of the transformer.

Good Luck!

Sorry , I forgot something...need to edit..

WELCOME TO PACHITALK!!!
    Youngjedi

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Youngjedi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If LOTR has been powered off for awhile, on first power up you have to wait a few minutes until the LCD reads something like "ROM OK:" or something to that effect. It will say it several times on the display. ONLY THEN can you turn the machine off and then back on and it will start up normally. LOTR and Star Wars are the 2 (out of 9) machines that I have that do not power up on the first try if they are cold.

Good luck.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to deanwaters

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Online View Post
    The 10 LEDs near the on/off button are NOT all on - the manual suggests they should be, but LD4 , LD7 and LD10 are NOT on - the rest are.
    This is your problem, you are missing the +5v output from the power supply. If the other PSU board LEDs are lit then your transformer is good and will either be a faulty PSU board or something is shorting the +5v output.

First thing to check is to disconnect the output cables on the right hand side of the power supply board (but leave the two pin input connector on the left hand side connected). You will need to remove the main control board to get to the connectors, this is described on page 10 of the Victory frame manual. Once the output connectors have been removed switch the power back on and see if all the LEDs now light.

If LEDs 4,7 and 10 are still out, then your power supply board has failed. If they are now lit then the fault is on a different board. Reconnect the output connectors one at a time and see if the LEDs go out when one of them is connected. Report back your findings and I'll let you know where else to look.

If you've got a power supply board fault on the machine, then see if the vendor you bought the machine from is able to provide you with a replacement. If this is not possible, then get back in contact. I have some spare parts for Victory frame machines, and might be able to help.

14. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just curious...does anything happen when you turn the shooter knob??

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

16. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Youngjedi View Post
    After turning it on, Press the white button on the bottom left of the frame near the ash tray. Usually, this is on when starting up, it allows you to do a light test. All the lights around the Victory frame will follow a chasing pattern.
    I have the same machine...My transformer is24V / 5VA
    Never had a problem with power. If you can...take a volt meter to what is coming out of the transformer.

Good Luck!

Sorry , I forgot something...need to edit..

WELCOME TO PACHITALK!!!
    Hi YoungJedi, thanks for the welcome

I tried as you suggested, but nada. Still all dark
    This is your problem, you are missing the +5v output from the power supply. If the other PSU board LEDs are lit then your transformer is good and will either be a faulty PSU board or something is shorting the +5v output.

First thing to check is to disconnect the output cables on the right hand side of the power supply board (but leave the two pin input connector on the left hand side connected). You will need to remove the main control board to get to the connectors, this is described on page 10 of the Victory frame manual. Once the output connectors have been removed switch the power back on and see if all the LEDs now light.

If LEDs 4,7 and 10 are still out, then your power supply board has failed. If they are now lit then the fault is on a different board. Reconnect the output connectors one at a time and see if the LEDs go out when one of them is connected. Report back your findings and I'll let you know where else to look.

If you've got a power supply board fault on the machine, then see if the vendor you bought the machine from is able to provide you with a replacement. If this is not possible, then get back in contact. I have some spare parts for Victory frame machines, and might be able to help.
    Hi daverob,

I've done as you've suggested but unfortunately the 3 LEDs are still off - which looks like the Power Supploy Board then

D'oh!

I'm going to drop the seller a note (he's the dude flogging all the machines on eBay at the moment) and see what the deal is. This is my first machine direct from a distributor, all the others i've bought have always come from loving homes [my Star Wars pachinko I had to drag out of the guys hands with his missus holding him back !]

Thanks everyone for all your help! I'll let you know how I get on with the vendor and see if they can correct.

Cheers!

I can't resist one more dancing banana !
    Last edited by Online; 04-25-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi All,

I just can't leave well enough alone so I took off the power board for a closer look to see what i could see. There was a bit of rattling and a piece of one of the components on the circuit dropped out !

Looks very similar to a problem StompStu had in this post: https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/pac...er-supply.html

The VRD1 component has popped its lid, its in half and the top half has come off so i can see the two bits with a gap in the middle:stylised diagram here:

------[ ]--------

Looks like this needs to be replaced...

Problem now is what to replace it with...any thoughts? I've scoured Maplin and the datasheets from the other post, but i'm still stumped...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

VRD1 is a protection component, designed to fail if there is an overvoltage in the power supply. Removing it will have the same effect as replacing it (but you will lose the overvoltage protection), and neither option is likely to restore the +5v output voltage.

It's possible that this unit has been plugged directly into mains voltage/line power, this caused the damage to VRD1, and has also caused the +5v regulator circuit to fail. Here in the UK the most likely reason is someone mistaking a 120v output transformer for the correct 24v output transformer.

These boards can be repaired, but there are a lot of components that might still be working that would have been highly stressed in this situation and a replacement board is likely to be a lot more reliable.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh no, not good news then.

I've contacted the vendor to see what they say; perhaps they can just supply a power board from a junked machine or something; I'll just have to see what they say.

Many thanks for all the help on this, it's much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk Online!!

Did your vendor manage to offer a solution for you??

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Hanabi,

I should probably close this ticket and I deserve a good wrist slapping.

After discussing with the vendor on eBay I went back to recheck eveything and all the advice everyone gave. And found the problem

My room and power supplies were a mess and of course I've plugged the machine into the wrong transformer!!! Aaargh! Occams razor eh?

Anyway, I've let the vendor know that I'm the knob who blew the machine and as a good side benefit I've re done all my power supplies and re organized the games room (although I seem to have more space for machines now ).

I can't believe I blew it literally

So, now my focus is on repairing the blown supply or sourcing a new one.

I'd like to thank everyone on here though for their help and advice though it's much appreciated!

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Online