Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lucky Cat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

T Lady dont heare so good Arby , Maby you have to YELL at here afore she blows the amp
    These are my opinions and no body elses and you can't have them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are you saying that you should not unplug the speakers? I installed a TPDT switch to control my three speakers in my Babel. Will that do harm to the amps? I also have 1 stereo and one mono L-Pad wired up.

Thanks,

AL

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay, well, speakers got plugged BACK in in pretty short order (all is still well in earbleed-world)...my buddy installed a speaker volume switch on top of the machine, that works VERY well...I've got a diagram here, and parts names and things of that nature, but I've got a LOT of catching up on posts to do before going to 7mileslots and buying #2, so a description is going to have to wait! The Lucky Cat machine set on 6 pays out SO often (or did to me, my son and boyfriend....my buddy couldn't get a bonus to save his life) that it's almost impossible to clear out a tray of tokens before you're in another bonus round....VERY cool, nice light show, yells at you sporadically in japanese, sounds like elmo (cute, if you don't mind elmo).....so far......I likes it! :smt023
    Kelly
    Marine Carnival, Kiwame

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There is a thread ether here or overthere that was on the load the amp. need to not go to amp heaven.
    Unpluging is very bad.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I looked high and low, I traveled to the far ends of the earth, I went to the mountain top and the deepist seas. And yes my friends, I have found for your plasurerÂ…

KG Cretin
    Disclaimer: I'm not an electronics guy, but I used to be a musician.

If you were to hook up an ohms meter you would see the readings were all over the place. 8 ohms is a sort of standard for a lot of devices, but speaker impedance ratings are nominal. The resistance of an 8 ohm speaker in operation can vary quite a bit either way depending on the program material that it's handling.

To an amplifier, less resistance results in more gain, and therein lies the danger. (My Crest Audio power amp puts out 200 watts into 8 ohms and 300 watts into 4 ohms.) A 2 ohm load on the Crest amp would fry the output stage eventually because there's not enough resistance.

It seems to me that as long as you don't use a speaker rated less than 4 ohms, you would be safe. So 8 ohms is probably your best shot.

Are you replacing speakers, and if so, are you having any luck finding speaker frames that fit? The tweeters in my King Camel are very strange in design and size. I think they have some kind of ultra cheap piezo element and they are prone to failure because the drivers can't handle the volume. Would love to replace them but can't find anything to fit those odd rectangular spaces.

ken524
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to replace the speakers. I had an attenuator designed to fix the excessive volume. I'll post the schematic and pics shortly!

KG Cretin
    Well...if you're designing attenuators and posting schematics you surely don't need my ramblings about resistance! Didn't mean to waste your time with that long-winded reply.

I bought some L-pads to use with my Camel slot but when I got 'em they were as big as dog food cans! Also the shafts were too long. Can't figure out any good way to mount the controls without drilling the cabinet. I don't like to run those amps with no load, but I have the woofer and one tweeter unplugged right now. The thing is just thumpin' loud.

Do you have an opinion on those mini volume controls (they look like they're mounted on a PC board, you adjust them with a phillips screwdriver)?

ken524
    No appologies necessary! You definitely didn't waste my time and I appreciate the explanation. I only know the basics about electronics. I'm dangerous with a soldering gun. My dad designed the attenuator for me and I did the installation.

I was going to go the L-Pad route until my dad steered me away because of the size/cost issue. He also wasn't happy with the potentiometer solution. Radio Shack didn't carry anything that he found acceptable to handle the power without cooking. His attenuator costs about $1.90 and takes up little space. Takes about 20 minutes per speaker to modify.

I just finished the instructions. Here's the page:

http://www.dc8.org/pachislo/
    The plans are really good for a person who can soder

my wife use to let me soder, but she don't no more :cry:
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just ordered 100 resistors from Mouser Electronics "Mouser part # 282-16" today. I figured if I ordered 20 like I need they will charge the same for shipping 100. So if any one needs some I will ship them out to you for 19 cent each with shipping. I do not know when or how fast Mouser Electronics will ship them.

If you need some I will have 80 left over. PM me

AL

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow...well, I'd tell you the specifics...but I'd get it all wrong, so you'd have to get the RIGHT info from Ratman...I've got this diagram he drew up quick that I might be able to scan in, but we'll have to wait til I get all my puter stuff in order. The Yeti I got yesterday he hooked up differently...I think it was with a pot...drilled a hole thru the top of the machine, and put a dial on it...dial only works about 30 degrees worth of turn, but gets VERY quiet! Love it! Love it! Love it!!
    Kelly
    Marine Carnival, Kiwame

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Lucky Cat

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee
    There is a thread ether here or overthere that was on the load the amp. need to not go to amp heaven.
    Unpluging is very bad.
    AC,
    unplugging speakers creates infinite impenace (huge) V=i/r as r increases i must come down at same voltage (level input) means no current amp not working, on mini vacation. BUT replace 8ohm spearker with 2 or 4 ohm car speakers current from amp goes way up, at same volume level, magic smoke will leave amp, cannot replace magic smoke, must stay in amp.

FYI to anyone reading post: everyone resistors go inline, series circuit, like a fuse would. cut positive wire and splice inline, never across 2 lines very bad magic smoke leave your machine, cannot replace magic smoke amp will fail.
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3