Thread: First pachinko machine?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default First pachinko machine?

Just curious, anyone know what one of the first pachinko machines?
    Or what pachinko was based off of?
    I thought pachinko was around during Japans medieval times (festival game) but i've been reading websites telling me it's from 1920 and a childrens game called Pachi-Pachi.

Also, does anyone know what the first pachi with a screen was? I think it would be interesting to see some pictures from that!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First pachinko machine?

The book Winning Pachinko says it's based on The Corinthian, an American children's version of Corinthian Bagatelle (see first photo).

Table Game, 1920-1939 (Ref:L.H238.1973.0.0)

Bagatelle originates from the game Old English Bagatelle, and is similar to Billiards, Pool and Snooker, by being in the form of a free standing table. A later development of the game was a smaller tabletop version known as Parlour Bagatelle.

Corinthian Bagatelle is a form of Parlour Bagatelle. It consists of a wooden board with one semicircular end, a channel, twelve scoring holes and a wooden cue. Players strike the ball with the cue up the channel towards the scoring areas.

A further development of Parlour Bagatelle was the introduction of a spring-loaded plunger mechanism in 1870. This is believed to have led to the invention of modern day Pinball.

Table Game, 1920-1939
    It was imported from Chicago in 1924 and used as a children's game at candy stores, with sweets for rewards. It was called pachi-pachi for the sound of the balls hitting the nails.

By 1926, after it had become popular with adults—with prizes like soap and cigarettes—the lack of space for all the machines resulted in them being set up vertically. At that point the glass was added to keep the balls from falling out and the spring lever and curved launch rail replaced the original handheld wooden dowel and vertical slot. This vertical machine was named gachan or gachanko after the sound of the spring-loaded hammer hitting the ball.

The machines of the early 30s (like the one in the second an third photos) paid prize medals instead of balls. By the mid 30s the machines started paying out balls and the names were combined and shortened to "pachinko."

In 1937, tooling up for WWII abruptly stopped the manufacture of the machines and it didn't resume until a decade later (though a few were still manufactured for the black market or under special license (in the Nagoya area).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

3. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Awesome update Sharmoni!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

By the way, the 1930s machine you see in my post just sold for $2,550 on YJA. I guess there aren't many of them around.
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow 2500.00 wish i had one of thouse to sell

who am i kidding i wouldn't be able to part with it

Hay im not an addict and quit talking about me behind my back

i heard that
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Banzaitrooper View Post
    Also, does anyone know what the first pachi with a screen was? I think it would be interesting to see some pictures from that!
    My friend has Sankyo machine from early 90's and it has a small color monitor. It is tube monitor like a little tv screen, not LCD. 2 or 3 inches wide. I have seen some model in YouTube with even more basic graphics but I don't know the model (nor the year) and I did not found the video.

There are some old models with led dot matrix displays to show numbers, letters and sometimes little animations but I would also like to hear what is the very first pachinko with some kind of ("real") screen. Was it in 80's or early 90's? Was the monitor black and white or color? There were small portable color televisions in 80's so it is possible there were pachi with little monitor.