Thread: Blowning Fuses, Need Help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Blowning Fuses, Need Help

I am working on a friends Olympia Hot Rod Queen. It had a blown 15 amp fuse. I finally got some replacement fuses but it just blows them as soon as it is turned on. I disconnected everything from the power supply when I powered it up & it still does it. I really want to fix this machine for him but I am at a lose unless I can find another power supply.
    I have e-mailed stealth, 5-star & Hiro but have not heard anything. If some one can point me in the right direction. I feel that a part on the power supply have shorted out but I looked at the board & I don't see anything that is noticeable.
    So if someone has one that they are willing to part with please let me know.
    SPIN LUCK #2973 *** KING CAMEL *** SINBAD ADVENTURE *** AUTOMATIC *** WILD WOLF *** DEATH VALLEY *** NEO PLANETT *** THE CYBORG SOLDIER 009 SP *** DESTROYER

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Blowning Fuses, Need Help

Sounds like a dead short in the power supply or transformer. Are you getting the correct voltage out of the transformer?
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 04-14-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: re read post

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Get some tin foil, wrap it around the fuse and put it back in!

I AM JOKING! DO NOT DO THAT! It worked on my old '46 Chevy Pickup but I doubt would do any good for your machine!

Since it's apparent that you've isolated the problem to the power supply, if I was messing with it, I'd open it up and start doing to continutity testing with my multi meter. Please be aware that there could easily be residual votage in the capacitors of this unit and therefore give you quite a shock!

If you are seeing a 'dead short' that blows the fuse so quickly you might be able to get a strong continuity reading between the component side of the fuse and the ground. If so, there is a pretty simple process that might find the culprit.

1. Discharge all the caps.
    2. Hook the ground side of your multimeter to the main ground.
    3. Put the positive side of your multimeter on the component side of the fuse and check for continuity. If the fuses blows as quick as you say it does, you should be a 0 resistance reading.
    4. Then move your probe down the circuit to the closest side of the first component where you should still have continuity. Then put it on the OTHER side of the component and check continuity.
    5. If the continuity changes, then your short is at that component or between the one you are at and the previous probing point.
    6. Keep moving down the circuit until your continuity changes from 0 indication you are 'past' the bad component. Obviously this is VERY simplistic but if your really lucky you might hit is quick and be able change out that component.

IMHO (yes we've had that discussion) I would view the power supply as shot and therefore would not be reluctant to do some soldering on it. But then again, there is no telling how many things I probably fried that could have been resurected by someone with more knowledge than I (which wouldn't take much).

So... secondary suggestion, find an electronics geek and have them take a look!

Good luck!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It never makes it to the transformer. there are about 6 items on the other side of the fuse. And yes it is reading 0 ohms (you are correct). I will start having to remove each item one at a time until I find the bad one, I guess. Once I find it I am hoping I will be able to replace it.
    If someone has a spare power supply for this unit, please let me know. I would like to get it back to him as soon as possible. Then I can take my time to find the bad part & replace it.
    Thanks for your help.
    SPIN LUCK #2973 *** KING CAMEL *** SINBAD ADVENTURE *** AUTOMATIC *** WILD WOLF *** DEATH VALLEY *** NEO PLANETT *** THE CYBORG SOLDIER 009 SP *** DESTROYER