Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Power flash j box and wiring

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power flash j box and wiring

your miss reading my post . its 24 a.c from the transformer then into your machines rectifier (the little board in the brown box )then 24 d.c into the rest of the machine .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry, misread what jeff was saying...Disregard last thread!

Just to add clarity; The output (secondary) of the transformer is Vac and goes into the Power Flash Jbox. The PF's internal rectifier converts Vac to Vdc to the coil circuit only. Emmadog, If your Power Flash does not have the rectifier installed, you would require a transformer with 120 Vac to 24 Vdc output...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, thanks very much. I'm out of town right now but I will check to see if it has the rectifier this evening. It looks like the box itself has not been tampered with as the same old staples are still in place. Does anyone know of an online store that has transformers with these requirements? I've looked at Electronics Goldmine and done searches but I have not seen one with the same specs. It seems at least one of the parameters is off on the one I've seen and since I know next to nothing about electronics I cannot determine what might work and what wouldn't. However, I hate not knowing about a particular subject I am interested in hence the "Electronics for Beginners" book that's on the way. Anyway, thanks to everyone and their input.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just do a search on google for pachinko or pachislo transformer . any one thats 4amp or more will work just fine .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, on my PowerFlash, it had installed in it a 'Chime Transformer' for 20v/24v. My multimeter couldn't get a reading on the voltage, I think my battery is gone in it. However, more to the point, there is only one pair of wires going to machine itself. So, there is only a single voltage on my machine. I have 14v bulbs and they are quite bright. I will try to get my MM going tomorrow and get a good reading for ya.

I don;t think I was much help, but there ya go.

Good luck!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I initially had one of the PF's wired directly into the 24v circuit. The 7 volt bulbs installed on the machine were wonderfully bright. I could find bulbs with a higher voltage, but I thought leaving the game that way may present a future problem. If for some reason one of the switches got stuck closed, an over -taxed bulb could burn through the plastic or cause a fire. I currently am toying with a 24v - 16v - 8v transformer to run the games. I have used the 24v tap for the coils and the 8v tap for the bulbs. Seems to work O.K. But, the coils seem to be a bit sluggish. I am unsure if the transformer has enough current for the draw on the coils.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would guess that the solenoids each pull about 1amp at 24 VAC, so that's 100 Watts for 4 solenoids at once?

what is the rating for your multiple output voltage transformer?

is there a diode bridge after the 24 VAC to make the voltage DC? the pix that people had posted made me think that was how it gets rectified. there are AC solenoids, too, but I think they are not interchangeable with DC ones.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Figure its 24 volts / 32 ohm (coil resistance educated guess) = .75 amp times 4 (if all 4 are activated at once ) = 3.0 amp load or 75 watts thats quite a load for that 2 amp door bell transformer .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Had a chance to de-solder a coil and check the ohms. One coil tested measured 67 ohms. 24v/67 ohms = .36 amps. .36 amps x 4 coils = 1.4 amps required if all four coils are activated at once. The transformer is rated at 24 volt, 20 VA (Watts). A conversion of Watts to Amps (20 watts/24 volts = amps) indicates the transformer to be rated at .83 amps.

By these calculations, The transformer I am using would definitely be insufficient to activate 4 coils at once. Even two coils activated (.36 x 2) would require nearly 3/4 amp to efficiently activate. A 2 amp transformer appears to be the minimum required for this Pachinko...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well after owning my PF for two months or so but traveling nonstop during that time, I finally had time yesterday to get it working. I located a 24v, 5 amp output transformer and wired everything up. It worked just fine and the tulips opened and closed quickly. The left yellow tulip (if you're facing the machine) won't shut the tulips however. So it's either the solenoid or the microswitch. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll be able to sort that out. I hope it's not the switch since it looks like a pain to get to it!!! Anyway, thanks again for all the info provided on this thread.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

where did u locate a transformer of that size??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i bought it from a place called allelectronics.com.
    just search thru their transformers-mine is actually 4 not 5 amps and as i mentioned previously closes/opens the tulips swiftly. but on that site their are several 24v transformers in various amp values

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Well after owning my PF for two months or so but traveling nonstop during that time, I finally had time yesterday to get it working. I located a 24v, 5 amp output transformer and wired everything up. It worked just fine and the tulips opened and closed quickly. The left yellow tulip (if you're facing the machine) won't shut the tulips however. So it's either the solenoid or the microswitch. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll be able to sort that out. I hope it's not the switch since it looks like a pain to get to it!!! Anyway, thanks again for all the info provided on this thread.

try opening up the back and seeing if the solenoid even moves. mine were quite frozen and the microswitches themselves were fine. i'd bet on a stuck solenoid, myself. if you clean the linkages well, they should move easily.

either that, or a wire could have come off the one solenoid (but less likely, since mine were very well attached.) i video'd my powerflash refurb, if you're interested.

YouTube - pachinko powerflash 1
    PachiTalk

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks mudfud. what i thought would be a pain (removing solenoid and slide assembly housing) turned out to be no problem. i cut the staples and straightened the ends out. then took a flathead screwdriver and gently pryed (sp?) up the plastic housing near each staple.it then popped right off. i then checked all connections and sure enough the left yellow tulip's solenoid had a bad connection so i resoldered it and everything works. while apart i am going to clean all the slides and linkages as you mentioned. also i need to figure out a way to reattach the housing in a way that is easily removable but obviously still allows the rear part of the machine to close firmly up against the slide/solenoid housing. i was thinking about using adhesive velcro. i was also toying with the idea of rewiring the solenoids so that the yellow tulips only close the tulips on their respective sides as opposed to the entire playfield. thoughts? thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

congrats on getting it working.

sometimes replacing staples with small wood screws is good. then you can get back in there again later

I would leave the solenoids as they are. on my machine, it actually pays out quite a bit, even with the yellow tulips closing everything up. the powerflash is one of my more entertaining machines, almost like getting fevers when the tulips open up.
    PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok I thought I'd post a pic of the PF. As I mentioned before everything is working correctly although I will probably change out the leaf switches for microswitches in the future. It's pretty amazing when you think of the age of these machines, the fact that they were used commercially for however long, and that they have been shipped all over the world yet they still work. I just knew I'd be replacing solenoids and this and that but all it took was to resolder one connection. I took your advice Mudfud and left the solenoids as they were. It takes time to win but once all the tulips open it's non stop jackpots though I have noticed that the first few balls after all the tulips open always go right into the yellow ones! Pretty funny and someone was doing some thinking in designing the location of the yellow tulips. Cool stuff. Anyway, I also posted pics of the other machines I have. The arepachi is a recent arival and I know nothing about it but look forward to geting it going again. I have 3 other machines as well not pictured. One is basically identical to the Sanyo in the pics but with a different jackpot mechanism and the other ones are for parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow looks like u have all the best machines

even with my collection I'm a little jealous

nice collection u have.. where did u locate the Arepachi??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the compliment. When I first started buying these I thought they were hard to find. After checking out ebay and craigslist I realized they weren't so due to limited space and even more limited time I am mostly interested in unusual ones. Although I'd buy all I could if I had more of the aforementioned requirements. So for example the first time I saw a Power Flash I knew I had to get one and it is easily my favorite machine. The others in the pics I got because they had great colors on the cell/ trays and you don't see many with colored cells. The Sanyo was the first one I bought and the arepachi I bought from a guy on here. A neighbor gave it to him but he didn't have the time to tinker with it so I picked it up. Plus I figure these more unusual machines are only gonna get harder to find so I focus on those.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like that arepachi a lot, too. maybe someday i'll find one...

looks like the tray's missing. ask lexicat if you can buy his off the maruhon.
    PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think you are referring to to the small tray that catches the tokens? There is no tray to catch balls as on a "regular" pachinko machine as there are only 17 or so balls and they stay inside the machine. Still haven't had time to look at it all that much-gonna be a long-term project.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast