Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

are those schematics from boards that you're buying, or did you design them?

I bought a 4 strip LED from IKEA with alternate flashing or chasing light and an adapter that I thought would be fun to magnet the 4 strips around the edges of the window and get some extra flashing lights. I hadn't thought yet about wiring it into the actual pachinko, except maybe to turn it on with a relay if I got a jackpot.

i'll be closely watching your thread. thanks for posting.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

2. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW!!

I'm at the edge of my seat waiting for more.

You are doing awesome Shock.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

this thread is going way to fast for me to keep up...

my first thought on the bed liner was what a mistake that wouold be... but i must say that looks nice.. a most excelant fix for a rusted mess.. ill have to look into that on one of my machines..

nice looking project u have going
    Last edited by Moparformances; 03-10-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the club! I must say, you sure have your work cut out for you!! I look forward to watching your progress.

By the way, I like the blue latex gloves in the photo! Just what a true Pachi Surgeon should wear!! Nice touch.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

8. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey MudFud,

I did have some circuit designs of my own but I can't find my "Batman Binder of Cool Stealth Circuits and Flashy Blinky Things". I put it in a safe and secure location that I wouldn't forget... Well, I outsmarted myself and the location is even secure from me at this point. The nice thing is these are not complex circuits and they can be built from off the shelf parts at Radio (Rip-Off) Shack. So I just did a couple of quick searches for the parts I knew would be components of the system and bang! Dozens of other very similar circuits that give me a close mark to tweek to what I need.

I will post the final shematics and instructions specificaly for pachinkos. I do however, recommend purchasing parts anywhere but Radio-Shack unless it's a last resort and must be completed 'cause ya' can't live without it right now type project. I buy from HSC and All Electronics when I know what I want and I can bey enough parts to offset shipping costs. I did just order a bunch of stuff from Ebay, enrout from Hong Kong. The irony is I got 10 times as much stuff for my dollar shipping from HK as buying retail packaged stuff from 10 miles away. I ordered in bulk so I'll have enuogh for all the machines and some extra stuff to experiment with.

I also found that AllElectronics has random surplus stuff thats inexpensive but can easily be adapted by the "non electrical engineer" or the gehtto McGyver / low budget Scotty to work in one off projects - Like the "Space Sound Board" I've got on the way.

- Shock

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The rust and pitting had done a number on the machines so I thought about powder coating the parts, but that is expensive to job out. I'm not set up for it but I'm looking into what I need for "one-off" small level coating. I needed something with a texture that would adhere but not look horribly out of place and cover up the pitting.

I think its different, but not bad, and its tough. It certainly is not as flashy, but maybe that will put attention to the mods on the game surface. That being said, I guess I will make sure that comes out well. I'm reluctant but must remove the pins and tracks to resurface the Play Area - I'm sure that will be an adventure.

Thanks Mopar

- Shock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think HeavyGuitarman is the only one I know of that has taken the nails out and then replaced them. Maybe he can give you some pointers.
    Brent G.- Roswell, NM 5 Vintages, 6 Moderns
    Need an Arepachi, and a Power Flush (Got It!) Sinbad pinball (Got It!)!!!

13. The following user says "Thanks" to who922

Thanks
    Thanks Received

alternately, you can repaint the surface and clear coat with epoxy like I did. it turned out well on the three oceans machine from sanyo.

vintage cell redo

here's the link if you didn't see it.

i used a set of acrylics to match the face colors (actually, my wife did the best color matching). I was happily surprised at how well the epoxy covered and smoothed out the whole surface. it saved an otherwise scrap machine.
    PachiTalk

15. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello all,

I did read over Heavy's restoration and rebuild of his purple passion Ebay pachinko. It was good information that was directly referencing the trouble I'm so quickly submerging myself in. I know this may sound conceited but I'm not as much worried about pin replacement - A quickly created uniforming tool can get me started. My biggest problem seems to be the degridation of the plywood face nailed into the frame. The ply is separating some and that SCARES me. So I'm tacking it together at points with the 5/16 face screws as I go. Even if I replace the pins perfectly if the Play Field surface degrades it won't much matter.

I'm leaning that even if it dosen't come out perfect it will be a good learning experience that will translate to all the other future projects, and information for our community.

- Shock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was also considering the purchase of a vinyl cutter to do work on graphics. I must however check with the Chief Financial Officer (wife) to make sure I have not exceeded my toy, tool and cool stuff budget (I wanted a modern pachinko) - Although she is very excited about my project and is very supportive of my random projects and seemingly expensive hobbies. That may be a great way to add custom graphics to play field surfaces.

- Shock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a question for my fellow Pachithousiasts. Part of this project was sparked by the need to replace 9v bulbs. I thought if others were interested I could make up some bulb clusters as replacements for those that don't want to go through the extensive rebuild that I'm doing, but just want a swap out LED bulb to fit in the existing socket.

I could build them in just about any color - even multicolor flash or tri-color. I may need to collect some more burned out bulbs to remove the glass, keeping the contacts so that no modification would be made to the wiring - just a simple swap, same size but much brighter or colorful.

I don't know if there is any interest in that type of thing? Heck, I don't know if they make that type of bulb as a stock LED swap out yet.

- Shock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was thinking of printing a cool graphic on permanent vinyl label stock, and then laminating it. (I'm in digital printing) My machine can go up to 14"x20". Does that sound durable enough for the face of a pachislo?

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not sure, but I would guess so. Once laminated I would imagine it will be very tough. I don't now much about pachislo. How much abuse would the game face take under heavy use? I'd imagine that with a thick mil value it should take just about any abuse, plus you could wipe it down easily, as it would be completely sealed.

I may have to talk to you about my pachinko projects!

- Shock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I mis typed I ment to say pachinko machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

have u thought about trying to reglue the plywood after u have removed the nails??

lift the ply inject a new wood glue into the plys and weight it downor clamp it where possable .. im assuming the damage is around the edges and not in the center??

my 2 cents
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ShockSystem View Post
    I had a question for my fellow Pachithousiasts. Part of this project was sparked by the need to replace 9v bulbs. I thought if others were interested I could make up some bulb clusters as replacements for those that don't want to go through the extensive rebuild that I'm doing, but just want a swap out LED bulb to fit in the existing socket.

I could build them in just about any color - even multicolor flash or tri-color. I may need to collect some more burned out bulbs to remove the glass, keeping the contacts so that no modification would be made to the wiring - just a simple swap, same size but much brighter or colorful.

I don't know if there is any interest in that type of thing? Heck, I don't know if they make that type of bulb as a stock LED swap out yet.

- Shock

they do make light bulbs with the screw base in 6v and 12v ($3 each, though). I bought a bunch of 12's, but they don't light with only 9-10v. i've found just using an LED with a resistor is fine, and they are much smaller than the space a bulb takes up.
    PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    have u thought about trying to reglue the plywood after u have removed the nails??

lift the ply inject a new wood glue into the plys and weight it downor clamp it where possable .. im assuming the damage is around the edges and not in the center??

my 2 cents
    Yes. I think your right and its a good suggestion. I think I may have to remove the playfield from the frame - a new experience. It is the edges that are degraded and I'm sure your suggestion will work. Now its time to come up with a game plan.

- Shock

27. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ShockSystem View Post
    Now its time to come up with a game plan.

- Shock
    amazing that you dont have a game plan, yet you have had me on the edge of my seat trying to keep up with your next move . looking good so far!!!

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow BeachCat,

Thank you for the complement, I'm not sure what to say. I think I have a good handle on mechanical things and I usually have a good game plan but in this case I'm flying blind and navigating by gut. I have a definite idea of what I want, but I have never disassembled a pachinko machine to this extent. The experience is fun, entertaining, educational and extremely frustrating sometimes. I'm sure that the end result will make for a great payoff! I really appreciate everyone's encouragement on this project.

Thanks guys,

- Shock

31. The following user says "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello all,

Here is the test fit of the lower door and ball feeder assembly. The Nishijin badge will be coated again and detailed in silver. The trim still shows really heavy pitting and a couple of spots that are just plain unrepairable - This means that the whole trim assembly will need to be Rhino-Coated. I think I want to paint the outer frame metallic blue or metallic purple - any suggestions?

Also - The ball tray is cleaned up and the launcher and trim have been cleaned and polished using Simple Green, Lysol Cleaner, steel wool and Bright-Boy polish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ShockSystem; 03-11-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Add Text

33. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast