Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

I like the granit look around the frame on that one.

Is it a single shot that has been converted?

If so can it still be fed like a single shot?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Eww.. gross. Here comes the fun part. Removal of dirt, cigarette tar, oil, bugs, dust and ??? It was time for lots of disinfectant. My wife informed me that that machines cannot "smell" or add to dusting duties if they are to be allowed to operate in the house. She also volunteered to help clean many of the machines components as she saw the amount of work that it would take and she was exited to see the outcome. In exchange for her effort and assistance I had to promise that there would be NO LIVE SPIDERS or OTHER LIVING THINGS contained within and if there were, it was my duty to destroy them with extreme prejudice and expedience.

I did find a random green glass marble that I assume someone tried to use as "ammo" stuck in the ball return. The rest of the cleanup continued with the use of a toothbrush and lots of Lysol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The granite look I added years ago when I first restored it to match what I had at the time (I will retouch the finish with a new coat). I actually still like that type of finish. That type of paint is still available in a multitude of colors - I found it on sale at Home Depot.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Digital1,

I'm not sure what a single shot looks like. I don't believe it has been converted, but then again I found that machine at a thrift type store many years ago. The upper ball tray feeds as all the other pachinko machines I know of - gravity fed semi-automatic, as fast as you can flip the lever. I'll look closer but I don't remember being able to feed one ball at a time (assumption on what a single shot is). Please describe a single shot.

- Shock

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, it's a single shot conversion to semi-auto. The won balls go to the lower tray and have to be hand lifted to the upper tray. In a normal single shot, the ball is inserted one at a time in the hole on the right side.

Gibisan's Single shots

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

7. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Interesting! The ball tray and shroud, that unfortunately is cracked now is an addition to a pre existing system?

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've only seen this on this specific game, so either they had a lot in the warehouse and had to make them saleable, or they were experimenting.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the thoughs are that original machines were single shots u had to hand feed one ball at a time into the shooter.. viea the hole on the right side of the frame..

some of us think that some of the later models were modified into the style u have.. modified from a single shot into what u have there..

if u look threw my pics i have a true single shot and a modified single shot as well... the huge diff being the addition of the upper tray on the front

aa single shot front.jpg

aa modified single shot front.jpg
    Last edited by Moparformances; 03-10-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Sandwich Shooter heavyguitarman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome, nice machines. I have a few posts about total restoration on here you might want to read what I've been through. Polishing the pins should be done in place, and is not hard. The reason is because there is a specific angle that these pins are placed. I did, however, pull all my pins on one of my ventures, but only because they were missing and bent and the machine was a big piece of junk. The results were very good. Just look up my user profile and it should show you all my threads and posts. Good luck!!! There's many of knowledgeable people on here that I couldn't have done it without because info on the internet if very limited. Take it easy...Heavy.

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to heavyguitarman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The single shot factory conversion makes sense. If they had a ton of a particular machine design already complete or staged and the "Improved" model takes the market, it may be cheaper to come up with a factory upgrade than scrap your whole line. My machine is almost identical to Moparformances, with a single flower and a "saloon door gate thingy" (officially sanctioned technical terminology) just above it. I will examine the frame closely when I clean it to see if it has a single shot loading hole - as I'm sure you guys are correct.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it was where that red button is on the right

17. The following user says "Thanks" to birdbrain

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The top hopper and funnel tray are now free of dirt and rust. The actuator mechanism that locks the machine when out of balls moves freely and the weight and control rods are now un-crusted and shiny.

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The rust is coming off of the face glass chrome trim, but there will be pitting (completed left side compared to lower untouched portion). The lower portion with the ball supply tray and launcher face are heavily pitted. I'm looking at Rhino-Coat as a solution. Rust removal is done with a drill and "Rust / Paint Removal Abrasive Wheel".
    Last edited by ShockSystem; 03-10-2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Add additional images

21. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I cleaned the launch tracks and lower face also having to remove the half destroyed factory sticker - It claims: "The capacity of this Pachinko Machine is equal to hit 100 balls per minute, so flip the handle timely".

Apparently this machine was also inspected by Number 12.

The play field face of the machine has very heavy water damage, so I'm debating now if I can coat over it or if I will need to replace it. I'm not sure what I could replace it with - Masonite? This would involve having to use a router to trim all new holes as well as complete removal of the frame which appears to be nailed in place to 50 year old wood - Not to mention having to map and place every pin hole and feature.

Any suggestions out there? What are the play field faces made of? It appears to be like plastic or linoleum of some sort.

I need to be able to repaint the play field face white, glue down the new theme then lacquer over it, then route holes for LED's.

23. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

25. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I removed the lower door and ball feed / launcher mechanism - It is made up of lightly smoked clear plastic. This gives me a few ideas as to LED patterns that will be visible when you pull back the handle to launch a ball. By installing a snap switch that closes when contact from the launcher handle is removed I can trigger a color flash sequence through the clear window. Then when the handle is released, the switch changes state again triggering a 10 LED chase sequence up the launch ramp "following" the action of the launched ball. The circuit would be simple and easy to make. Also, a slow fading multicolor glow through the clear window when the system is idle would be interesting.

Rust was removed, and the plastic parts cleaned in the sink. I did not want to risk putting them through the dishwasher as others have (just in case I failed to turn the dry cycle off). I used a very light lubricant on the moving parts of the feeder, being careful to stay clear of the ball track areas.

The lower door plate was Rhino-Coated black and reassembled with the Nishijin badge and ball feed mechanism.

27. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Rhino coat looks really nice. The rust really came off well on that left side. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would underneath. Looking good Shock!
    Brent G.- Roswell, NM 5 Vintages, 6 Moderns
    Need an Arepachi, and a Power Flush (Got It!) Sinbad pinball (Got It!)!!!

29. The following user says "Thanks" to who922

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Does anyone know what this is It is in kyorako sun 406 . Has 2 power connectors

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The picture on the left looks like a solenoid coil / Relay, that actuates the white armature attached to it. I would also guess that one set of poles are for lamp illumination (approx 9v) and the others are for the actuator, perhaps at a higher voltage alternating current (24v or possibly household).

There are quite a few very friendly and helpful people on this forum with lots of knowledge - I'm sure one of the more experienced collectors knows exactly what that is and how it works.

Please keep in mind that is a guess based on a picture, and should in no way imply you should attach power until you verify the circuits intended function, purpose and rating / capacity and test to make sure it is functional.

- Shock (Ironic)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are some of the base circuit designs I'm starting with. Several types of chaser ideas and several fade / flash circuits. The surplus sound effects board is coming from AllElecrtonics, so I wont be able to experiment with it until the shipment actually shows up.

My new breadboard (and 10 prototype boards) is on the way from Hong Kong along with a truckload of assorted types of clear high brightness LED's in blue, white, red, yellow, purple, green, orange, aqua and multicolored flashers. Once that shipment arrives I'll proto the chasers, experiment a little and finalize the effects, delays and sequences and then work on placement of the LEDs and switches. I'll also post the final set of schematics once I'm happy with the effects.

33. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast