Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

Hello all!

As a new person to the forum I appreciate all of the warm welcomes. It would seem as though you all may have some sort of secret ulterior desire to reel others into some sort of highly addictive cult of mechanical fun machines or something. Thank you. Apologies in advance if I use “newbie” terminology or ask questions that have been covered – I have not yet combed through the whole site yet. I am thrilled that I found a site specifically covering what I thought was an unusual (for the U.S.) form of game rarely seen unless they are stumbled upon as a junk sale curiosity or you are “in the know” and have owned them for decades.

I have a collection of 10 vintage machines; two I have owned for over 15 years and the others came as a windfall find and were practically given to me by a retired mechanical “Junque™” collector as he put it. He had collected them for restoration from a pinball machine owner that also had that very same idea – 25 years ago. Well that plan never happened until now, and he was happy about my excitement in restoring something “old”, so I paid for one and got a great deal. Fred, the super cool 70+ year old characterized “Junque™ guy” twisted my arm with a smile, and to my complete horror, forced me to take all of them. They are all in various states of disrepair and are in need of restoration.

I planed on searching the site extensively (A large thank you to Sid) to gain some information on restoration techniques, do’s and don’ts, etc (like WD-40). I have started in on the usual cleaning of bugs, debris and odd foreign objects. I have also started in on some of the rusty components. Some of the machines have some rather extensive water damage on the playfields and the chrome trim plated will have to be coated (using black Rino-Coat) as they are far to rust damaged and pitted to look good. Two have damaged or missing wiring components and bad bulbs, so I was going to convert them to LED’s to lower power consumption and eliminate the need to ever replace a bulb – This started an idea. I now plan to “modernize” a few of the machines, blending my love for mechanical things, tinkering with electronics and gravitation toward shiny flashy things.

The “Modernization” will consist of removing and servicing the mechanics, removing rust and dirt, but leaving them as is, so that the machines still function by way of gravity and without power. I want to remove the pins and run them in my polisher. The playfields will be recoated (maybe airbrushed) and I want to laminate theme images to the surface like Ghost In A Shell, Bubble Gum Crisis and alike. I also plan on drilling and flush mounting flat face LED’s into the game face with chaser and flasher circuits that will react to launcher draw, launcher release, idle, cup wins, flowers open, center win and alike. I’m buying some surplus game sound boards from AllElectronincs.com that I will experiment with adding electronic sound effects to the games.

I want to document these experiments on this forum extensively, to both give others ideas and receive suggestions so I don’t have to “reinvent the wheel” if, others have done this sort of thing.
    I hope not to create a backlash from purists that like original “stock only” restorations. Some of these machines will never be “new like condition” and are in bad shape, so I thought it wise to use them as an experimentation platform.

I would like to ask some of my fellow PachiTalk members for help with identification of the specific machines. I don’t know if any of them are rare or hard to get and therefore should not be modified.

Thanks,

Shock

2. The following 19 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

What super ideas you have, we are all very much interested in the processes of restoration and / or modification as well as playing

Only having one vintage myself, so far, I like to look wistfully at others projects

It would be really nice if you could post pics of your pachinkos and then the more knowledgeable members will be able to offer advice as to any rarities, etc

I look forward to seeing your progress

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The pictures are in my profile - I will post the pictures in the thread shortly (need to figure out the forum html)

Thank you,
    Shock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Awesome plan there Shock!

I look forward to seeing the results!
    Rusty Key

7. The following user says "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK. Here are the images of the strange new machines that are taking over my workshop that will soon be filled with the sounds of ball bearings hitting brass pins.

Last edited by ShockSystem; 03-09-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Delete double picture

9. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are some of the machines as they line up for restoration and modification.

11. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great Machines!!! I really like the green one. Haven't seen one like that. Great project ideas you have there. We have a couple of members that have completely redone the cell like you are talking about...quite an undertaking. I am anxious to see the results.

Welcome!!! to PachiTalk!!
    Brent G.- Roswell, NM 5 Vintages, 6 Moderns
    Need an Arepachi, and a Power Flush (Got It!) Sinbad pinball (Got It!)!!!

13. The following user says "Thanks" to who922

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you want to post small pics, as in other threads, it's quite simple...

You need to click the 'go advanced' button at the bottom of the reply box, this opens up another reply box that shows lots of icons along the top

Simply click the one that looks like a PAPERCLIP and this opens up to allow you to browse your computer and choose the pics you want to upload

I think the maximum size is 800 x 600

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you who922,

The Green faced machine is a Ginza - I'm not sure about the year. I had never seen a play field print pattern like that either, the pin pattern seems to be the "standard" layout with "y" shapes and spinners - so I assume the play will be just as any other. I want to try to keep the green on this one and I have both 5400mcd green and orange LED's (50ea), and blue green flashers (20ea) - I'm working on the pattern design that should match the ball tray and face.The chrome ball tray face is horribly rusted and will have to be blasted to metal then recoated with black Rino- Coat. This machne was also sans glass so a trip to the hardware store with mesurements will be needed.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are some of the electronic components that will be used to create the lighting effects.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is the theme image lamination test. I took a piece of 5/16 particle board sealed it, painted it white. I found and edited an image I wanted for the play field surface printed it out using an HP 2600n laser printer on 24/60lb gloss coated paper and cut it out using an X-acto knife. I glued it to the surface with 3M spray. I then coated the image and the surface with acrylic urethane floor covering.

It seems to hold up well. I tested it by throwing handfuls of pachinko balls at it and letting hundreds of them roll over the surface. I also cleaned it using windex and paper towels to see if it would cause problems. So far all looks good. I plan on 5 to 6 coats of floor coating to give my game surface a really tough and survivable play area. I have not yet tried driving pins through it as I don't have extras at the moment.

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice looking machines shock

welcome to the dark side

u have some nice unusual machines there

the ginza is neat

how about some shots of the backs of the machines?? i like to see how the back is layed out as well
    Last edited by Moparformances; 03-09-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome

You have a great colection

I would love to do the kind of stuff you are talking about.

I need to find a machine in bad shape so I can feel good about saving it.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I started in on this Nishinjin DX of unknown year. The back mechanics cover is heavily rusted as well as the faceplate trim. I worked on the glass face trim with a 6in rust removal wheel and drill and its acceptable with some minor pitting. I removed the mechanics cover and found the smoked plastic cover in good shape. Most of the components are stapled in place - as I understand this is a 70's era trait. I want to replace the staples with small self tapping screws upon reassembly.

I used Lysol disinfectant surface cleaner with a 3M abrasive backed sponge to do the main cleanup along with some dollar store citrus cleaner and simple green. Unfortunately I found some water damage that separated the plywood construction. I used 5/16in face screws to secure the layers of ply back together - It wont be pretty but should hold together.

Shock

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm using WD-40 as a rust removal tool along with Single 0 steel wool and 300 grit sand paper. The 6in rust removal disk on the drill is a must - Did I mention for safety I'm waring a dust mask and safety glasses (that should satisfy the legal dept.).

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are shots that include the ripples of water damage I'll try to fix with face screws. Removal of the electrical system - this one is in good shape (almost perfect) and I'll save it for someone that needs it. I removed the hopper, funnel and main ball tray for cleaning.

30. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Shock. you took on a big undertaking there . good luck and it will be interesting watching your progress!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello BeachCat,

I'm hoping that I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I'm sure I can get these done - The first one however my be somewhat sacrificial as to technique. You have to have a base to try the experiment on and I have to realize that it may not come out perfectly. I m realizing however that this is a lot of work and I will have to fight off the instant gratification urge to get it done even if it's not right so that you can play with it now instinct - It is strong with this one.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: Vintage Machine Restoration and Modification

I would than start with the easiest one so when the urge hits you have a game to play!! that will make it easier to take your time with the others! any questions just post them with pictures and there are lots of people who could advise and do so with a smile

34. The following user says "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This one will be my default that still works with a little persuasion here and there while I work on the others. It's a Nishijin Sophia that has the "self filling" win tray. It does need cleaned badly, and is actually what started my return into pachinko. My wife asked me if I could set it up so she could try it out... That gave me pause. We have been together for more than ten years, meaning I hadn't touched it in that long. So I started to search for components and a companion machine. You see now where this is going.

36. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast