Thread: Yes, I read posts on Coin Cleaning. My experiance

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Yes, I read posts on Coin Cleaning. My experiance

My experiance got mixed resaults. Sorry I don't have pictures to follow. The coins who had a copper or what not core with silver on them indeed wore off. No problem I figured I would paint them back with silver or gold spray paint. (Anybody try this) Luckly it was like 10 tokens. The silver tokens cleaned up nice in clr and in the rock tumbler using hard grit. Tumble for several hours. Now for the two horror stories. The coins with double metal. Some came clean and shiney. Especially for the outer silver edge. But the middle is okay. Some just stayed dull. Not sure why. Then the 100% copper or whatever they our coins all tarnished. When I put them in the clr and rock tumble. I did some some good resaults with clr if I left them in few a few minutes. Any longer than that they tarnished. At first I thought I ruined a whole bunch of tokens. NOPE they justed needed to be polished up. I have some numetal polish or what not. A few different types and they rub up nice and bright. So what do I do?

I have the following stuff.

Rock tumbler
    Different tumbler loader pack from fine to course grit and polist. Normally used for pollishing rocks.

I also have clr.

I tried a few mixes. (Consiting of different ingrediants) Liquid launrdy detergent, baking soda, dish soap, bleach.

I also seperated the coins. (duh should have done that first) because after the 2nd batch I noticed they was bleading onto the other coins.

So yes I will go through my almost 1,000 tokens for this machine. About 1/2 our now good and clean. The other half sucks. So I'm open to Idea. Especially on those copper ones or what not to get them shiney. Besides pollishing each one.

P.S. Can crappy tokens cause a coin mech to get jammed. The delsol machine I picked up by Eleco. I can get about 50 coins in it sometimes. But every once in a while they get stuck in the mech. But since the mech then errors with a CJ. It drops the offeneding coins out. I cleaned the mech, oiled it and there is a metal bar with some rust on it. I cleaned that and adjusted it. So now most of the time. These shiney tokens that came with it go right through. But once in a load or so. They jam. I cannot really see a reason. With the door open. They seems to not jam at all. (though I had one or two). Any ideas?
    I will try to post pics of all of this latter tonight if I can get my digital camera with batteries and what not.

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Yes, I read posts on Coin Cleaning. My experiance

clr and rinse thoroughly. use only crushed walnuts in the tumbler( bird bedding form pet store) throw away the copper ones as they are always junk. many acceptors do not like dirty coins, they must be cleaned by hand. using the walnuts with no chemicals will polish the rest of the coins up nice.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay I'll pickup some walnuts and give that a shot. Also to add to my post. The coins I thought was ruined are not. They just are tarnished as the rest. Also I don't think for say they are copper. Whatever metal they use. Brass, gold, and silver. Also I don't put anything in with the walnuts or just walnuts? I assume just walnuts?

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi!
    Use Comet or Babo or Bar Keepers Friend in your tumbler, not any form of grit, and put in less tokens at a time. the ones that were polished more than the other coins is a real indication that you had too many in it and the dirty ones were basically trapped in the center.
    Tumble for 30 minutes and examine them to see if they need more or less time.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SlotsRfun

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used pickel juce or juce from the jar of peppers as a soak and then water to stop the pepper acid and then into the tumbler with cracked corn. The vineger gets them clean and the corn polishes them nice and leaves a clean soft feel to them. After that I haven't needed to clean them again.
    --

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by digital1 View Post
    I used pickel juce or juce from the jar of peppers as a soak and then water to stop the pepper acid and then into the tumbler with cracked corn. The vineger gets them clean and the corn polishes them nice and leaves a clean soft feel to them. After that I haven't needed to clean them again.
    sounds like a great cleaning method

but u might wana wash the parts in soap after all that acid to neautrize the parts.. just a little advice
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    sounds like a great cleaning method

but u might wana wash the parts in soap after all that acid to neautrize the parts.. just a little advice
    I forgot to say add baking soda to the water bath

Thanks Mopar
    --

11. The following user says "Thanks" to digital1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

juice and viniger are real mild acids so not much to worry about.. but i must admit im really paranoid about using acids for cleaning. but they sure work good

i worked in an industrial hard chome shop for a few years.. (in my younger years) one of the guys i worked with got acid on his arm and failed to clean it off his arm and shirt... to make a long story shorter the acid ate into his skin and the fat layers.. creating what now looks like a huge cigar burn on the inside of his arm.. the worse part is it is still big enought to hide a Pachinko ball in..

the other story is my brother had a car battery siting on a chair.. it sat ther for a few day and no one thought anything of it.. later on in the day some one came along and sat in that chair geting acid all over her pants ... not good

the best part of the acid in the chair is... that was my x-wife

so my point... ... ... always neturlize unless your x needs a seat
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i had a few holes ate out of my clothes from battery acid a few times
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

so give your ex respect and always give her the "A" chair.
    --

15. The following user says "Thanks" to digital1