Thread: Comet II Help with see-saw

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Comet II Help with see-saw

Any suggestions for a see-saw that only works intermittently? Everything else is works great, but the see-saw doesn't consistently drop when the ball gets to it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Comet II Help with see-saw

it's a common problem on comet II's, as the big arm that the balls land on pivots on a brass axle that contacts the metal/plastic hole

I used a rat tail file from my jeweler's file kit to clean the inside of the plastic hole last night, and it now pivots great.

alternately, one could add a weight, which is what I did previously, but this isn't the fix of the primary problem (the sticky axle)
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

3. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

so, just to clarify, you cleaned out the plastic hole that the brass rod goes into? I tried adding some weight but to no avail.
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yes. That's correct.
    PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

upon further investigation it appears that the payoff platform doesn't lock at it should and is impeding the see-saw. If I manually lock the payoff platform everything works great. Any more suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Any pics of the issue? I seem to be experiencing the same thing but have yet to resolve (have not tried the weights yet). I don't really want to take off the entire back pieces to get to the 'pivot' buried behind. Does it have anything to do with pic 3? I'm not sure what that white lever does.

Advanced thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My problem was not in pic 3, but in pic 1. I was able to fix it by adding weight to the pay-out arm. This post shows a great method: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...ng-tulips.html

There are more suggestions on this link: PachiTalk - Powered By the Revolution
    great site thanks for all the help mudfud

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to zag

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    upon further investigation it appears that the payoff platform doesn't lock at it should and is impeding the see-saw. If I manually lock the payoff platform everything works great. Any more suggestions?
    my first comet II had the problem of the main arm that the balls hit (and connects to the hook that links to the jackpot regulator) not pivoting back enough. this is where the weights came in.

I did find, however, that I didn't need to bring the arm all the way down to "hooking" for it to work. I think the hook is an anti-tilt thing so you can't shake more jackpots out of the machine.

is it your jackpot regulator arm that is not resetting? there are pachinko balls inside the arm that you should hear rolling back and forth.

below is a picture of mine with the fishing weights. it doesn't come all the way down with the hook, but it works fine.

also, make sure the pin that pushes the seesaw up on the right side isn't getting stuck in the "up" position. one of my comets was doing that, and it gets in the way of proper seesaw function.
    Last edited by mudfud; 02-19-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: one more thing
    PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe helpful to someone looking at this thread... It is easy for the big payoff lever to not be properly seated in the corresponding hole in the outer cover. Make sure you push the outer cover STRAIGHT IN the last 1/2 inch or so. The big lever should fall down under its own weight. If it sticks at all, it holds up the see saw. In the picture above (with the fishing weights) the lever is not all the way down and latched, it should be... I did smooth out the axle of the big payoff lever and the inside of the payoff lever plastic tube with 1000 grit sandpaper, but seating it properly is what made the difference. On my COMET II machine I had to push the outer cover DOWN into the bottom tray drain, UP behind another piece of plastic and then STRAIGHT IN the last half inch or so...
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

12. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got a Comet II with a sluggish seesaw. Sometimes it resets...sometimes it doesn't. When it does rock down, it actually makes a groaning sound. I haven't tried to fix it yet but now I'm motivated to try some of the fixes suggested in this post. I'll update with any results.
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Yukamin Zaki

14. The following user says "Thanks" to pachinkojeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, I checked out the groaning seesaw this morning and discovered it was the locking lever that was the culprit. It seemed to be rubbing against the plastic cover, making the groaning sound and also impeding arm from pivoting fulling. I removed the cover and didn't find anything out of the ordinary so I put the cover back on and the groaning has mysteriously disappeared and the arm is pivoting properly, thus resetting the seesaw consistently. I think it's possible that something wasn't seated properly and I inadvertently seated it when I replaced the cover.

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachinkojeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachinkojeff View Post
    OK, I checked out the groaning seesaw this morning and discovered it was the locking lever that was the culprit. It seemed to be rubbing against the plastic cover, making the groaning sound and also impeding arm from pivoting fulling. I removed the cover and didn't find anything out of the ordinary so I put the cover back on and the groaning has mysteriously disappeared and the arm is pivoting properly, thus resetting the seesaw consistently. I think it's possible that something wasn't seated properly and I inadvertently seated it when I replaced the cover.

Thanks PachinkoJeff,
    It seems that my problems were also related to "seating" as I went through various steps to get things moving and only had results once it was seated properly. It is hard to tell other than by trial and error.

I wanted to beat this dead horse one more time... the big payout lever pivots on a brass axle, if having probelms, try smoothing out this connection and while you have the machine apart... the see saw also pivots on a tiny brass axle, smooth it. You can take the bottom of the see saw off and clean up / replace the pachinko balls inside and the bottom metal piece, if rusty. I have only seen two see saws and one had one washer and the other had two washers... in every case located toward the cover. Sand the washers smooth if they are rusted... Once the cover is back on... remove the circular cover near the see saw and verify everything is still moving freely by "unlatching" the payout lever and verify it latches under its own weight...
    Both the machines worked on, the big payout lever now falls freely from it's own weight and latches and the see saw pivots with very little effort, the machines now payout, etc.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

18. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mine goes down fine it just doesn't come up on its own. Thats my only problem. How can I make it come back up once it comes down?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You will need to disassemble the machine somewhat to get to the jackpot payout arm (See Pic). The Comet II is notorious for having friction between the pivot point/hole in the arm and the axle it pivots on. The best remedy is to use a rotary tool with a grinding or filing bit and slightly enlarge the hole in the jackpot payout arm, then polish the axle so that the arm pivots smoothly.

Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

21. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    You will need to disassemble the machine somewhat to get to the jackpot payout arm (See Pic). The Comet II is notorious for having friction between the pivot point/hole in the arm and the axle it pivots on. The best remedy is to use a rotary tool with a grinding or filing bit and slightly enlarge the hole in the jackpot payout arm, then polish the axle so that the arm pivots smoothly.

but take your time and do small bits at a time... a little bit of drilling can sometimes go allong ways... and if ya go to far ya cant get it back
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances